Embarking in Rome

TSUmom

It seems most passengers embark in Barcelona so can anyone give me tips or info on embarking in Rome? Is it chaotic due to the fact that new passengers are arriving, some are ending their cruise and the majority will be just having a port stop?

It's Italy! Expect chaos!! Lots of emotive talk and arm-waving!!! Now, seriously...the port of Rome is actually in a city called Civitavecchia (chiff-it-ah-VECK-ee-ah, that's fun to say) about 50 km from the city; getting there is your first challenge. Expect to pay more than 100 euros for a car. The train is much cheaper, but involves you (and your luggage) up and down stairs at the stations (no elevator at Civi). There are reports the port is under construction and the port gate (which was walking distance from the train station) has been moved a little further away. Your best bet is to join the roll call for your sailing and find people with whom you can share transfers and tours.

Bindar

Just got off the Jade on Wed and now back in Austin. Posted my info on the port but here goes:

Can't say there is no elevator but did not see any or any indication of one. Train comes to track 3 so there will be stairs. You must buy a city bus ticket at the train station for the city bus that is located to the right outside the train station. It is 80cents. This bus will take you to the port gate where the Jade had complimentary bus shuttles to the ship as the port authority does not allow you to walk to the ship. All was very easy.

We stayed on for a 2nd leg of the cruise but virtually no interaction between those disembarking and those of us staying on for another cruise.

Problem disembarking was that the ship docked at 5am, you can disembark beginning at 615 and shuttle is available but city bus does not begin until 8am and there were no licensed cabs at the port gate on Wed when we disembarked. We took a gypsy cab.

Can't answer your specific question because we did get on in Barcelona. But I agree with the others comments-the port is far from Rome. We did connect with some others on our roll call and had Excellent tour guides throughout the Italy ports. Our tour in Rome was phenomenal! I am sure they could work it out where they pick you up for a tour and drop you off at the boat if the timing is right or even pre cruise. We used http://www.driverguideservice.com. I would use them again in a heart beat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We boarded in Rome. We arrived at the port at about 2:00, because we wanted to spend as much time as possible in Rome. The building was completely empty. Reps were standing around waiting for us. It was the best embarkation we had ever had. I think it was because returning passengers did not have to enter this building. They could enter directly onto the ship, unlike Barcelona where everyone had to enter the building at the same point. Also very few people start out from Rome and the others are spending a full day in Rome, so they arrive back at the ship later in the day.

This was two years ago, so things could have changed.

Edited by NCruiser2012

It seems most passengers embark in Barcelona so can anyone give me tips or info on embarking in Rome? Is it chaotic due to the fact that new passengers are arriving, some are ending their cruise and the majority will be just having a port stop?

It would appear that you are doing the 15 day Epic cruise which is Civitavecchia round trip, so I wouldn't worry about embarkation. It will be the usual, with the very few cruisers staying aboard doing a second leg, only those doing B2B.

The first question is are you coming in early for a few days in Rome?? I'm guessing yes, so you'll need to either stay at the NCL hotel outside the city center, or make your own hotel reservations. You can purchase transfers from the NCL hotel to the port when you book your room. If you stay in Rome, your best bet, hassle free is to book a limo, check on Tripadvisor for vendors and reviews. We had a hotel near the Vatican, and had Bob's Limo pick us up at the airport, take us to our hotel downtown, and pick us up the morning of embarkation and drive us to the port....we even stopped for coffee. I think the trip to the port was around 70E and took a little over an hour because of holiday traffic. The Limo dropped us off at the baggage tent, we had our bags tagged already, so I pushed them in the tent (no baggage handlers at the curb) and went in the check-in building. Inside, it was just like embarking in the States, piece of cake.;) Have a great cruise.:)

I have done Rome-Rome twice now once on the EPIC and once on the Jade. The port is quite good, especially with the EPIC as the line up are short and the crew can turn the cabins around more quickly.

Getting to the port is a bit more involved given it is quite a distance out of Rome. If you check on the roll call and stay with a few other cruses at the same hotel in home you can book a shared shuttle.

Taking the train is bit more involved but cheaper.

Thank you all for your responses. We are doing the 11 day cruise tour and will be staying at the Grand Palatino with transportation. Our only glitch will be 3 of us are staying in a suite and one is in a regular balcony cabin. We will hopefully get him checked in first since he is 75 and a first time cruiser. Then we will go check ourselves in. Because this is his first cruise we will skip all of the suite perks and get the obligatory boarding picture and have lunch with him in the buffet. That is why I am hoping the boarding process is less busy, I don't want to overwhelm a first timer and this embarkation is going to be far from normal compared to all of my past ones.

• 3 months later...

We will be sailing on the March 18 Eastern Mediterranean out of Civi on the Jade. This is our fourth cruise (should make Latitudes Silver during this one), but our first European one.

We are traveling with two young children (ages 7 and 3) and are considering taking the high-speed train from Termini instead of using a car service to save money. €60 round-trip total for the train versus €500 total (quoted by our hotel n Rome) or €300 (via RomeCabs) for a return car service.

How many stairs are there going to and from the train platforms at Civi for the high speed line?

What is the latest that we can stay on the ship when we return to Civi on the 28th? The first high-speed train back to Rome I see that day is at 11:18 AM departure.

We've never booked the high speed line but met several who did on our regular train. Unless things have changed, the high speed only runs a couple of times a day and the others run frequently. It depends on what time you need to take it and if that time works for boarding.

It's the same station and line for both. I imagine the biggest difference is that other trains are locals that stop several times on the way.

We've always used public transportation in Italy. A tour book or internet research can tell you what trains or buses to take in Rome to get to specific sights. One ticket lets you ride buses and trains all day.

Enjoy your trip and especially wonderful Italy!

We are traveling with two young children (ages 7 and 3) and are considering taking the high-speed train from Termini instead of using a car service to save money. €60 round-trip total for the train versus €500 total (quoted by our hotel n Rome) or €300 (via RomeCabs) for a return car service.

We used the high speed train to get into Rome and back last year when we were on the Epic. I would highly recommend it at the price. It has a number of advantages.

It's quicker, with a lot less stops.

You get allocated seats, which can be very important at busy times. Having stood up for the entire journey on the local train, it can be an unpleasant journey, especially if its hot, and that was without luggage.

At Termini, you don't have to walk as far for the train. The local train uses a platform which is quite a walk from the main area. If you've got luggage then this could be an issue.

We paid a small amount extra for first class on one leg, and I don't think it was worth it. Standard class was very comfortable.

We will be sailing on the March 18 Eastern Mediterranean out of Civi on the Jade. This is our fourth cruise (should make Latitudes Silver during this one), but our first European one.

How many stairs are there going to and from the train platforms at Civi for the high speed line?

What is the latest that we can stay on the ship when we return to Civi on the 28th? The first high-speed train back to Rome I see that day is at 11:18 AM departure.

Following this because I am on the same sailing (Jade March 18) with my 12 year old son and I am trying to figure out our best option. We are staying near the Vatican and would need to go to Termini and then get the train to the port. With a total of 3 suitcases I am not sure how easy it will be to take the train. Our hotel quoted 200 euro for a private car which is still really high compared to the train.

Have you joined the roll call for the cruise?

We too are sailing in/out Rome on Epic - staying in Rome both before/after the cruise.

Trying to piece it all together...due to the cost of four of us traveling, we want to take the train but have to piece together what we need to do once we get to the train station at the port. And then once again, once the cruise is over...hearing cabs aren't available that early to take us to the train station?

From what I have read, it is almost impossible to get a taxi from the port to the train station because they want the fares going to Rome or FCO. So, my assumption is that if we take the train, we will be walking from the port entrance to the station.

My wife and I don't want to deal with the local trains. Aside from the fact that seats are not reserved, my understanding is that they have a lot of problems with pickpockets on those. The high-speed train seems like a good compromise to us.

I've tried calling Norwegian several times but can't get a straight answer out of them about what time we would need to be off the ship on the 28th. They told me to ask Guest Services on board. I told them I need to know ahead of time so I can arrange transportation.

From what I have read, it is almost impossible to get a taxi from the port to the train station because they want the fares going to Rome or FCO. So, my assumption is that if we take the train, we will be walking from the port entrance to the station.

My wife and I don't want to deal with the local trains. Aside from the fact that seats are not reserved, my understanding is that they have a lot of problems with pickpockets on those. The high-speed train seems like a good compromise to us.

I've tried calling Norwegian several times but can't get a straight answer out of them about what time we would need to be off the ship on the 28th. They told me to ask Guest Services on board. I told them I need to know ahead of time so I can arrange transportation.

How long is it walking from the port entrance to the train station?

It used to be a short and easy walk (about 10 minutes along the sea front). However, the new drop off location for the port shuttles is about twice the distance away.

A bigger issue is that it is harder to find the way, as you lose the seafront after a while and there are more obstacles that make doing it with luggage a problem.

It is a lot harder walk than in many places which people say can't be done with luggage.