Traditional Dining for 2 question

Pier Pressure 53

I have heard that the tables for 2 are situated within inches of other tables for 2 in the MDR's. Is this the arrangement for Anytime Dime, Traditional or for both? I guess the question is if I am looking for a quiet table for 2 for my wife and myself, without others within inches of our table, is Traditional or Anytime the best way to go?

Thanks.

John

I have heard that the tables for 2 are situated within inches of other tables for 2 in the MDR's. Is this the arrangement for Anytime Dime, Traditional or for both? I guess the question is if I am looking for a quiet table for 2 for my wife and myself, without others within inches of our table, is Traditional or Anytime the best way to go?

Thanks.

John

The dining rooms are the same. In fact, they often use one of them for early traditional. I assume you have been following the thread about table etiquette? My advice would be to go traditional and see if you can get a table you like from the outset. Otherwise, you will be trying every night to get a suitable table, in competition with lots of others.

We've only sailed on the Emerald and the Island. There were a few tables for 2 in the dining rooms we were in that were a bit more secluded and were not the "side by side" tables for 2 that everyone knows about and refers to. When we board we go to our designated dining room, see which tables those are and pick one then wait to meet the Maitre D' and request one of those. You may want to try that on your upcoming cruise. Enjoy!

Our experience (limited!) was that anytime suited... chosing to eat later. We asked for a table by the window and were given a 4 place setting table. Then every day we wanted to eat in the dining room, we would phone and ask to reserve that same table at a later time.

It might not have hurt that we were in a suite. I don't know.

I think it depends on the ship, some are worse than others. The tables for two were super close (if I recall correctly) on the Diamond and Sapphire. I have also had hit and miss on the Star and Golden -- some of the tables are fine and others are close enough to borrow each other's salt. I usually make a habit of finding the tables I like on the first or second day, then when I go to anytime dining at breakfast or lunch I will often request those table numbers specifically.

Not all of the tables for two are inches apart banquette style. There are some that are completely separate and healthy distance from the other tables. It has been my observation (could be wrong), that they are very few, if any of these truly separate tables for two in the traditional dining rooms. Most of them are in the anytime dining rooms.

It has been my observation (could be wrong), that they are very few, if any of these truly separate tables for two in the traditional dining rooms.

I always do traditional, and there are a few two-tops in each section of the dining rooms. The problem is that they fill up quickly. The differences in the Anytime and Traditional dining rooms are minor. We do lunch in the Anytimes often, so I have seen my share of both.

It will also depend upon the cruise and which dining choice is more popular. We just took a partial Panama Canal cruise and requested traditional dining (late time) for two. On the first day we went to the dining room and scouted our table which was not only right on top of the next table, but was in an aisle right next to a serving station. I'd have hated diner if we sat there for 11 days. So, I asked the matre'd for a change (the Patter will tell you when he is in the dining room). I politely asked for a new table. He gladly moved us to a table for 4 (but only for us) near the window in a much nicer area. He was able to do that as on this cruise the late dining was not full. He said if we had been in early dining he would not have been able to move us.