Can someone explain to me the dark art of women packing?

wales4ever

• 3 weeks later...

For 40 some odd years the DH says before all our travels, "I hope you're going to pack light for the trip. You won't need a lot of clothes on this trip." And every time, I end up with a large suitcase that get's checked, a matching roll aboard, and a matching tote bag that fits under the airplane seat if we're flying. I rarely have deviate from this way of packing for all these years. The DH just shakes his head and then we go off and have a great trip/cruise every time. Because I'm happy with the way I pack and he's happy I'm happy. He loves the way I dress so I've told him that I wouldn't be able to dress that way if I didn't pack the way I do. He does not like to see me repeat outfits so he ends up going with the flow. But still, I know on our next trip he'll say, "I hope you're going to pack light for the trip this time." LOL!

I've really enjoyed this thread..............I thought it was only my OH!!!

He's a wonderful hubby.........will gladly do the ironing, cleaning, DIY etc etc.......loves holidays BUT has no interest in the booking, planning, shopping or packing (which I love...it's all part of the fun).

If asked, he'll say 'we're going on a cruise in February (or whenever), but has no idea which ship, which cruiseline, which ports of call, which hotels we're staying at before & after, and doesn't know what clothes he has to wear until he opens the wardrobe in the cabin! He doesn't even know the dates of our trips!

He says I'm an over-planner, but if left to him, we wouldn't go anywhere!

I love him dearly though..

Fun topic! I can hopefully shed some light as I am a neurotic packer and have looked deep into my psyche to figure out where the need to overplan (and yet still overpack) comes from. Speaking for myself, it boils down to this:

It all goes back to my childhood... no, seriously. I had a traumatic vacation wardrobe crisis as a pre-teen. I traveled from Seattle to San Francisco by car with my parents and while on that trip, the awkwardness of my age suddenly hit when I noticed other girls looking fashionable while I felt like a giant geek. I remember a short perm, horn-rimmed glasses, blue polyester pants, and walking around San Francisco with red sauce stains down my front. It's been many, many years but I am scarred. Every trip I took after that involved packing lists.

Secondly, preparing for a trip is like preparing for Christmas. I start early, I make lists, and I shop. Part of that is concern that I will forget something but the other part of it is just getting excited for the upcoming event.

Now, if your female companion is a list maker, the actual act of packing might be pretty quick. It's when you don't plan each and every outfit in advance that the process of packing can get lengthy.

DW and I have just gone through the prerequisite "fashion show" for our next cruise which is scheduled in April. DW always brings out all of the outfits that she plans to wear on the evenings of our cruise. She wants to know what I think. We love to dance, so we will be out dancing every night of the cruise, especially on this one since it is on Cunard and they have those great ballrooms at sea. I actually enjoy the "fashion show" that she puts on. It also helps me to decide what I plan to wear. I am one of those odd men who pack two tuxes for formal nights. We will have 6 formal nights on our next Cunard cruise.

That said, I don't have as many clothing choices as DW, so I can pack the day before we travel, but I appreciate the care with which DW plans her wardrobe. I'm sure that she will take at least 4 formal gowns on this trip, and she looks spectacular in all of them. I always tell people to picture a tall, slender, graceful, statuesque, platinum blonde who is a marvelous dancer. Packing a couple of tuxes and dance shoes are a small price to pay for getting to spend evenings with someone so spectacular. So.... thank you ladies for caring about your wardrobe and looking as great as you do because of your planning. Some of us really appreciate the results. Happy Cruising Jerry of Jerry and Lady Kathryn

• 3 weeks later...

It's simple really. First, the process of packing gets us dreaming about all the fun we are going to have in each outfit. How great we will feel wearing it. And then, a girl never knows exactly what she feels like wearing until it's time to get ready. I might want to be really casual, or wear lots of jewelry, or it may be warmer or colder ., u get the idea! Yep -- we've been one of those couples at the airport redistributing luggage contents to avoid charges!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've really enjoyed this thread..............I thought it was only my OH!!!

He's a wonderful hubby.........will gladly do the ironing, cleaning, DIY etc etc.......loves holidays BUT has no interest in the booking, planning, shopping or packing (which I love...it's all part of the fun).

If asked, he'll say 'we're going on a cruise in February (or whenever), but has no idea which ship, which cruiseline, which ports of call, which hotels we're staying at before & after, and doesn't know what clothes he has to wear until he opens the wardrobe in the cabin! He doesn't even know the dates of our trips!

He says I'm an over-planner, but if left to him, we wouldn't go anywhere!

I love him dearly though..

Totally agree! DH and I were driving back from Canada to our Alaska port (Skagway) and had to go through border crossing…guard asks him what ship and DH says a completely mangled name that resembles no ship at all. Guard just looks at me and I give HER the correct name.

And once in Stockholm when we landed, immigration asks me for hotel, ship, etc. I rattle it off. DH said "What she said" when it's his turn.

Omg! Love this thread! I try every time NOT to overpack... I've gotten better. My best and most successful rule is to never bring anything that is even a teeny bit snug. Everything should be beautiful and comfortable... Even with a few extra piña coladas!😃

Sent from my iPad using Forums