Question for those who have done it??

After many months our Alaska cruise/Vancouver trip is almost here...Serenade 9/18...last cruise of the Alaska season.

In researching various things am I correct that:

It is 20 minutes from the Vancouver airport to the Westin Grand?

Ten minutes from Westin to Ballantyne?

Forty minutes from Ballantyne to the airport?

Port to airport: $30 one way (approx)?

Is traffic a really big factor??? I live in a "tourist town" and know what the traffic is like during weekends in season.

We are coming in before the cruise and will leisurely make our way to the ship on day of sailing but have an 11:35AM flight home on Sun 9/25..We could not stay an extra day since we are leaving 5 days later for another cruise (Adv of Seas to Caribbean). Our original flight was 2:00PM coming home but that changed months ago..(would have made me feel better if it was at 2PM)

When we are at the Westin should we make arrangements with concierge to have a limo for us when we disembark? I'm not worried about the airport to Westin since we are in no rush and arrive at 10:30 AM.

One more thing...would it be better to spend the morning at Westin (or in town) and not rush to the ship? We have late checkout and the ship doesn't leave till 5PM.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

There are people on this board more qualified to answer your questions, because they live in Vancouver - and I live in Victoria.:)

But I did want to tell you that we've quite enjoyed our stays at the Westin Grand when we do go to Vancouver. Very nice bathrooms and lovely heavenly beds! :)

You will love the Serenade....we were on the same cruise last year and loved it.....it rained all day in Juneau...but we didn't care...the ship is beautiful..hope you get to see Hubbard Glacier...it was cancelled on us due to bad weather and high seas....the captain substituted Tracy Arm which was a great treat to see and I think the captain went above and beyond to make our trip enjoyable since Hubbard Glacier was cancelled.

Sorry...I was remembering how wonderful the trip was....on to your question...I don't think you will have a problem. I don't know what airlines you are on, but RCCL has a program that you can sign up for that let's you check in with the airlines on the ship before you disembark. It was an additional fee, but you checked in with the airlines, got your boarding pass and they shuttled you to the airport and took you right to customs. It was a breeze for us. I can't remeber how much it was, but it was worth every dime because they also handle you checked luggage from when you put it outside you cabin until you get back to you home airport. It was really nice not having to worry about the luggage or tote it through the airport.

Your cabin steward will give you forms to sign up for this service in your cabin about halfway through your cruise. If you decide to do this, I highly suggest you sign up early. I read on these boards last year that it fills up fast. I think it was about $30..but I could be wrong. Hope this helps.

Also, eat in the Seaview Cafe..it's kinda hidden...and has weird hours...but has realy good food.

Thanks for the info...I've been on Serenade before and the reason I'm going again is because I love the ship...Seaview cafe is the best kept secret...

Coming home we fly from Vancouver to Houston and Houston to Newark on Continental. Originally we were a direct flight but it changed along the way. We don't get to Newark till midnight..

I might check into the express check in on the ship, however, I don't leave my luggage outside the cabin the night before. Never have, never will. We only have one bag each (on wheels) so it's not a problem to carry them off the ship...(from past experience, we travel light!)

I'm not really worried, just confused, since I've never been to Vancouver. Thanks......Pam

Archived