Tahiti Or Mexican Riviera

IRIS FAYE

I am hoping to take a cruise in the summer of 2006 and am debating on Tahiti or Mexican Riviera. I have read several posts on Tahiti and seem to get more postives from the Mexican Riviera. Is anyone here able to give me a little insight on which would be better or if you have visited Tahiti; is this a very good place to visit? I would like a place to do lots of great snorkeling and a place to force me to relax. I have been to a few nice snorkeling places, but none in Tahiti or the Riviera.

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Cruisin FOOL!

Iris

One major different...

Cruise to Tahiti will cost >1000$ more than cruise to Mexican Riviera.

Tahiti is in the tropics, water temp is ~85oF year round.

Mexico can get very very cold ~65oF.

Cindy

From the reviews I've read, snorkeling in the Mexican Riviera isn't that great. Water not very warm or clear & not much to see.

Try to check out reviews (lots of people post picture) on each. You might also try to do an image search on google. If money wasn't an issue, I'd go for Tahiti.

Absolutely no comparison...your talking apples and oranges here. Mexico is mostly brown Tahiti is lush and green. Mexico is cheap Tahiti is expensive. Water in Mexico can be cold and murky, water in Tahiti is warm and as clear as a swimming pool. Tahiti is a 7 1/2 hour flight from LA and will the cruise will cost you about double as Mexico. I've been to both...Mexico is a good cruise for relaxing...Tahiti is "Paradise".

Tahiti cruising with Princess is very affordable right now compared to years ago. You will always find cheap cruises to Mexico. Other posters have covered it pretty well about the colder water, less lush scenery, etc. Tahiti is just plain exotic and less populated (except for Papeete) than the Mexican ports.

I like to think of Tahiti as what Hawaii might have been some 50 or years ago.

I have been to Tahiti 8 times soon to be 10, Mexico at least 50 times, Hawaii over 25 times.

We actually cancelled our Mexican Riveria cruise to cruise Tahiti instead this past winter. You will not be disappointed. Hands down Tahiti it is!!!

Check out my Tahitian Princess review for more info and feel free to ask me any questions!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=9347

Hilary

We are doing both next year actually. Truly you can't compare these cruises at all. Will be sailing the Mexico Riviera cruise in April because of spring break and not having to fly across country for a change. But the real vacation of the year will be our B2B Tahiti cruises. From everything I've read, Tahiti will take our breath away.

Good luck with your decision, but I doubt we can go wrong with Tahiti at all.

I was on the Diamond Princess to Mexico in February & was on the Tahitian Princess last month. There is absolutely no comparison! Tahiti is paradise! It is a lot more expensive, but worth every penny!

GO TO TAHITI!!!!

I posted a review of my trip in the pacific islands ports of call section-if you ahve any questions, let me know

Nancy

I am so very grateful for the replies. I should have enough fly miles to avoid that charge. If the cruise is reasonable, Tahiti it is. Thanks a million Folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Iris

We have a Cruise Critic group cruise going to Tahiti in August 2006. Our cruise rates are the best I've seen. We have several really nice people already booked and would love to have you join us! Check the links in my signature below for cruise and booking information. Or e-mail me with any questions.

Hands down Tahiti over Mexico any day. The beauty of Tahiti is something you just can't get enough of. There is no comparison between the two. If I only had one place to cruise it would be in French Polynesia. :D

We haven't even sailed yet (we leave Oct 1) on the Tahitian Princess, but I've been to Mexico several times, and I don't think it's an "apples to apples" comparison!!

French Polynesia is paradise, a little heaven on earth, while Mexico is just nice. I enjoy Mexico every time I go, but I'm thinking it's a different atmosphere...and scenery!!

If you can afford it, splurge on Tahiti, and hit Mexico for the next trip!! :)

• 1 month later...

We sailed the Mexican Riviera in 2004 on the Pride. We had a wonderful time - but will never do that cruise again. We're water people - and the water was cold, rough, - and NOT PRETTY! So far - there's nothing that can compare to the beautiful blues we've been spoiled with in the Caribbean....... but I hear Tahiti is ever better....can't wait - this is a lifelong dream.

If you do cruise the Mexcican Riviera - make sure you take Randi's Happy Horses tour in Mazatalan ( MOST EXCELLENT - best beach ride EVER) and in Cabo - stop in at Cabo Wabo for a Waborita.

:-)

Sandy

Comparing Tahiti to the Mexican Riviera is like comparing San Francisco to Omaha. Bali Hai will call you - and you can't be there to answer if you're in Acapulco. Tahiti is similar to Hawaii - but lusher, warmer and with MUCH better snorkeling. It's also much more exotic than Mexico or Hawaii. It is a lot more expensive, but well worth it.

David

Archived