Great thread by a 12 yr old who has cruised a lot

notalandlover

Thanks for sharing the link. I do not necessarily agree with several of his points, but they were fun to read and everyone is different and has different opinions.

For example, my kids hate the buffet but love the service in the MDR. That said, they sit for 45 minutes then leave and sign into the kids program while the adults enjoy the remaining hour in the MDR. We pick our kids up after our dinner and take them to the shows. Our 12 year old signs herself out and attends the shows with friends usually.

The stern is not always best for kids. Some RCCL ships have their kids areas at the bow. Do your research and pick depending on the ship you are going on.

Nice to say always get a balcony when you are not paying for it. I offer my kids a choice of a balcony or the equivalent money (or less, but I do not tell them this) to spend of souvenirs, beverages, and cool shore excursions, and guess which one wins every time?

Thanks for sharing the link....Nice to say always get a balcony when you are not paying for it....quote]

My grandkids will be 6, 8, and 10 when we are set to go in August, and it scares me to even think about the room having a balcony and the possibility of an "overboard". Mind you, they are VERY well behaved, but I'm just not willing to run the risks, when simply to see more of the surroundings it, just takes going upstairs to even better viewing venues.

And not to say anything about costs.... even swapping the option of them being able to "using the extra money expense to purchase things"! "Hello"... they are priviledged just to be going on a cruise at this age!

What would they be looking forward to in their future? Honeymoon balcony... "Nah, I've been there at age 8"....NOT! To ME, at 60's, it's a "splurge" to even have a window! and I can afford "all of the above".But this is just me, and reason why I CAN treat the whole family to a cruise.

While cruising it not the norm for kids in general, here's a youngster who knows how to organize his thoughts, has strong opinions, and can communicate - in the written word for heaven's sake! Keep it up, write about everything and anything - the venue's not important, the experience is. Better than tweeting for sure - though he's probably good at that as well.

Kudos!

The stern is not always best for kids. Some RCCL ships have their kids areas at the bow. Do your research and pick depending on the ship you are going on.

I agree. We just got off 2 ships (NCL's Sun and Sky) and both of them had the kids club in the front of the ship. So it varies.

That was a cute write up. While it might not hold true for every child, it's great to see what someone his age thinks about. I can't wait until my (now 6 year old) is his age and what she has to say. I think she's up to 8 cruises now. :)