Dream 11/2/14 stray thoughts

fmrlkr

This is highlights of our Dream cruise 11/2/14. It was our 17th Carnival cruise since 2002, all but one have been out of New Orleans. Just DH and I in our first cove balcony.

Boarding

Some background:

The VIFP area at the Erato cruise terminal has seen significant changes in the last several years. The first time we were directed to the VIP area it was card tables separated by flimsy walls with power cords hanging from the ceiling. Every time we came back it was a little nicer. On this trip we arrived around 9:30 (last March we arrived at 10:30 paid the parking fee, dropped off our luggage and couldn’t find an open space and ended up parking illegally along with many others). We buzzed straight thru and were the 2nd couple in line in the VIP area. They did not have permission to start checking in so they took our information and said they would call us. We got coffee and pastry sat down and talked about our plans. Permission granted, our name is called, got checked in, easy peesy. As you leave you are told “just go to the front of the line.” When you exit the VIFP area there is an aisle, to the left is where Diamond, Platinum, FTTF and weddings sit, everyone else sits on the right, people in wheelchairs are lined up in the front of the right side. At the end of the aisle is a nice lady who points out where we should sit. After a while both areas have filled up the front rows. The nice lady is starting to have to put out fires and is not always where the VIP guests are being directed and new VIPs come out and gather around the entrance. Those passengers already seated helpfully explain that they just need to take a seat but the new people say “no I get to go to the front of the line.” Yes, they are told, you do, but this IS the front of the line and you need be at the back of the front of the line. Since this is not what they want to hear they ignore it and push forward anyway until the nice lady comes back and asks them to take a seat, several rows back, “No, I get to go to the front of the line” they say. She explains that everyone here is the front of the line, they need to sit where she shows them. Much fun ensues. It happens every time.

Wedding party’s got on, then us. Went straight to our room to drop off our stuff. Then went to the buffet for lunch. I had the Mongolian wok which was very good. DH had the salmon sandwich with no bagel. They gave him a lot of salmon. We went back to our room to watch the ship load from our balcony.

We are absolutely in love with the cove balcony. DH loves to watch the forklift ballet as they load the ship and from a cove it’s like you are right there.

So for people who ask:

Is a cove noisy?

YES, we were under the galley and it is very loud with a lot of clanging and banging. If this bothers you avoid these rooms. Fortunately this is not something that bothers us.

Is there spray on the balcony?

YES you do get a light mist of sea spray. I had to clean DH glasses multiple times a day.

Size? It seemed bigger to us, maybe because of the angle so there was room to stretch out our legs.

We spent much of our time out there. Every morning at 6am room service would deliver coffee, Danish and salmon. We would sit on the balcony until we decided what to do next.

Food: was inconsistent, we had some that was great, the first two seaday brunches, some was terrible, the last seaday brunch. We ate in the Crimson DR, we had ATD. Had to wait nights 1&2 but not after that. We sat in Kanya’s area, she took good care of us.

Room service food was great. For lunch one day we ordered sandwiches and were very pleased. DH thinks the cheesecake on the room service menu is the best dessert on the ship.

I have to say that this was the most sedate cruise we have ever taken. Very Quiet.

Is a cove noisy?

YES, we were under the galley and it is very loud with a lot of clanging and banging. If this bothers you avoid these rooms. Fortunately this is not something that bothers us.

thanks for your review, keep going!

just on this item though, i want to add, that it does matter WHICH cove balcony you choose. they are not ALL under the galley. i just want to make sure people don't think ALL cove balconies are noisey, because they are not.

We were on her in August with 4 generations sailing, all in cove balconies. Could not say enough about the ship and her staff! We had our cove balconies all next to each other which was fun.

I have to admit, waiting to get on the ship was quite the CF..we had fttf but it really did not matter, it was such a mad rush, etc..very unpleasant. One of the worst embarkations that I can remember (been on 24 cruises) not all on the same line or at the same port.

I would sail in a cove balcony again in a heart beat. Not so much sailing out of New Orleans though.

We will be on the Dream this Sunday and have VIP for one room and FTTF for the other. I see you arrived at 9:30 but what time did boarding actually begin. I will have my elderly in laws with me and trying to go as early as possible (to avoid the crowds) but not so early they are waiting around for too long. I was thinking 11am. I know they should just be happy we are about to begin our great vacation but the happier I can keep them the better my trip is. Thanks for any guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums