Checked emails all week, for free

bsddsc

We just came off the Magic. In another thread, I was wondering if anyone tried using DCL internet connections just for checking emails. After a full week, here is what we found.

On Embarkation Day only, there is a wireless option for 50mg for free. You must sign up and select the plan that day or you won't see it the other days, at least we didn't.

If you just want to check emails, the key is downloading your emails to your device. (pop and smtp to pull things down and back out) Then immediately disconnect the wifi (we have a switch). You can take your time reading your emails. And you don't need to worry about an email which could connect you to a website and chew up mg. If you need to reply, create the reply in Draft, then turn on the wifi to send the email. Disconnect.

The downloads were really fast. We checked email 3 or 4 times a day, replied a couple of times. I can't say for sure how much we actually used. But I can say we received a DCL email saying we used 25% or our allotment. We never did receive the second email which comes at 75%. So for us, this was a perfect way to stay in touch with our office staff and our house sitters. :D

There is no way to know how long this Embarkation Day special will run, or if it is on other ships too. I found out about it from another cruise blog site.

Now, if you are someone who only reads their emails directly from a website, this won't be free. You will go over the 50mg. My husband uses Thunderbird which is quite portable between his laptop and desktop machines. He just has to move the laptop folders onto his desktop pc and everything is in place. Hope this works for you too.

We just came off the Magic. In another thread, I was wondering if anyone tried using DCL internet connections just for checking emails. After a full week, here is what we found.

On Embarkation Day only, there is a wireless option for 50mg for free. You must sign up and select the plan that day or you won't see it the other days, at least we didn't.

If you just want to check emails, the key is downloading your emails to your device. (pop and smtp to pull things down and back out) Then immediately disconnect the wifi (we have a switch). You can take your time reading your emails. And you don't need to worry about an email which could connect you to a website and chew up mg. If you need to reply, create the reply in Draft, then turn on the wifi to send the email. Disconnect.

The downloads were really fast. We checked email 3 or 4 times a day, replied a couple of times. I can't say for sure how much we actually used. But I can say we received a DCL email saying we used 25% or our allotment. We never did receive the second email which comes at 75%. So for us, this was a perfect way to stay in touch with our office staff and our house sitters. :D

There is no way to know how long this Embarkation Day special will run, or if it is on other ships too. I found out about it from another cruise blog site.

Now, if you are someone who only reads their emails directly from a website, this won't be free. You will go over the 50mg. My husband uses Thunderbird which is quite portable between his laptop and desktop machines. He just has to move the laptop folders onto his desktop pc and everything is in place. Hope this works for you too.

DCL has been offering this "special" rate since at least the end of summer. We used it on our 3 cruises last September (50mg free on each cruise). We just checked our email list and read those we were interested in. And replied to a few. Only checked every couple of days, however, not every day, multiple times.

Not all Magic cruises have had this special offer. We asked on day 1 of our September cruise (WBTA). It was not available.

That said, I'd encourage everyone to check on day 1 and see if the offer is good when you cruise. Even if you ultimately desire more time, it doesn't hurt to get some at no charge!