New England/Canada ?

Sea Legs

Stay at the Hyatt in Greenwich, CT - much cheaper and we do the commute in after 9 in the morning - smooth sailing.

Now being from Maine - expect anything weather wise - the Atlantic late summer can be rough and cool or smooth an hot - it's a crap shoot!

best advice - dress warm and expect fog.

We did this cruise last year (and have it booked for 2015) but drove into the port instead of staying in a hotel. For us, it is only a 3-hour drive. Cost for hotels is subjective. Best thing to do is look at a booking site like Expedia, Travelocity, etc. About the weather, we did it first week in Sept and it was 60s during the day and 40s/50s at night. Only time we saw fog was in Halifax (all day).

Depends on where you stay. If you are driving, cheaper rooms can be had staying a bit upstate or across the Hudson in New Jersey. However, parking at the pier is rather pricey.

If flying, check hotwire. I was on the Sept. 27 departure this year and stayed at the Meadowlands Plaza hotel near LaGuardia. Not the nicest place, but it did the trick. On the return I got the Conrad New York in lower Manhattan for ~$228, but it was far and away the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at.

Weather is very variable. It was 80 for sail away, in the 60s and 70s in Boston, but into the 50s and a tad lower in Portland, Saint John and Halifax. But my wife and I adore cool autumn weather, so we actually really loved the later weather.

Am considering going on the Splendor next September to see Boston, Portland and Halifax. Are hotel rooms near the port in NYC reasonable and is the weather still fairly warm?

For New York City Hotels I always use Hotwire or Priceline .We went in September and it was sweater weather .

When we sailed out of New York, we stayed in New Jersey and took a shuttle to the port. The hotels can be very expensive in New York. New Jersey worked out fine for us, we flew in the day before and we were not looking for anything fancy, just a place to sleep. We had done the tourist thingy many times so did not want to pay the price for a hotel for just 1 night in New York

When we sailed out of New York, we stayed in New Jersey and took a shuttle to the port. The hotels can be very expensive in New York. New Jersey worked out fine for us, we flew in the day before and we were not looking for anything fancy, just a place to sleep. We had done the tourist thingy many times so did not want to pay the price for a hotel for just 1 night in New York

If you do this, there are a couple of ferry locations across the river from the port and it is about a 2-3 block walk from the ferry pier to the cruise port. There is a bus-shuttle that also runs. I looked into that last year but decided it would be so much easier to park at the port, even though it cost a little more.

I did this itinerary twice in Sept 2012 and Sept 2013. The weather was very nice on both cruises. The mornings temps ranged from the 50's to 60's. The afternoon ranged from the 60's to 70's. My advise is to dress in layers so you can adjust your clothing as the day goes on.

If the day appears to be rainy then you should bring with you a small umbrella or light rain proof jacket. These are great walking ports so this will come in handy.

I enjoyed this itinerary twice and I look forward to doing it again. There is so much to see and do.

I hope you enjoy it.:cool:

We did this cruise Sept 10th.. It was glorious. I can't help with lodging, we flew in same day. I would absolutely do this one again. Especially if I didn't have to go into the New Jersey port. At least until they are finished with the new one.

I adored Halifax. The best tour guide is Ellen. Hands down.

Thanks for all the input! As we are flying from Atlanta, we will arrive a day prior just to be on the safe side. Have been a lot of cruises and have always done that. We don't control the weather, so rather safe than sorry.

Thanks for all the input! As we are flying from Atlanta, we will arrive a day prior just to be on the safe side. Have been a lot of cruises and have always done that. We don't control the weather, so rather safe than sorry.

Yes, we also come in at least one day early if we have to fly. And have actually flown in 3 days early when finding out a storm was getting ready to blow through. Cost a bit to change, fortunately we were flying SWA, but it was worth not having to deal with the storm cancellations and trying to rebook.

I will look at Baltimore. Have only been thru their airport, which by the way is one of my favorite airports, but would like to see some of Baltimore. Definitely want to stick with Carnival though as we are platinum and I like the perks. (although we are booked on RCCL's Oasis for next April.

I will look at Baltimore. Have only been thru their airport, which by the way is one of my favorite airports, but would like to see some of Baltimore. Definitely want to stick with Carnival though as we are platinum and I like the perks. (although we are booked on RCCL's Oasis for next April.

Oops, my mistake. Carnival does sail out of Baltimore, but I just checked next fall for Canada/NE, and I only see RCI doing that itinerary. Too bad; it's a nice departure port.