Low tide, Fundy Bay: question

We're on the Triumph next week. I was just wondering, of those of you who have been able to visit Fundy Bay at low tide, what the conditions are like. Specifically, going with a 6 and 2.5 year old, how dirty are they likely to get? We live along the coast, and I know that mucking around when it's a normal low tide can get pretty awful. Do I need to bring old shoes and swimsuits I'm prepared to chuck afterwards? Any info on what I'm likely to encounter would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Do you have an excursion booked for when you are in Saint John. If not the Bay of Fundy is not accessable. if you goto St. Martins on an excursion you are able to go to Sea Caves during Low tide. or in Saint John you are able to View the Reversing Falls at low tide. But there is not an area anywhere near where the Boat docks that you can walk on the Ocean Floor.

We were thinking of visiting Irving Nature park -- would this be a good location to explore the Bay of Fundy coast? We will be renting a car (from Avis), so we can visit other areas as well, but the Irving Nature park seemed like a nice location, close to Saint John.

Thanks!

Wow, SJNB. Thank you so, so much for the heads up. Prime example of the old adage about assuming things! I had no idea you couldn't walk around at low tide in St. John. The kids are too small for the reversing tides boat ride, so I just wanted them to be able to get a sense of what was happening and poke around a bit.

We actually were thinking of St. Martin. I hadn't booked a tour because it was relatively lengthy (with kids, I'm not keen on long shore excursions-for their sake and everyone else's!) and pricey. I was thinking about hiring a taxi @ $35/hour for a few hours. I figured 45 minutes or so each way and an hour or two there. Does that sound sensible?

Also, another factor is that low tide is about 3 pm Canada time (2 pm ship time) and the ship is leaving St. John at 3 pm ship time. If we went for lunch and spent some time an hour or so before dead low, would we be able to see the caves? I don't want to cut getting back to the ship too close.

Any additional advice would be very much appreciated! (Although you've already saved my behind - thanks again!)

The Irving Nature Park is very Nice. You can drive around it, or Hike it. There are several areas that go down onto the water. There are area's for picnics etc. at low tide you are able to walk out a ways on the beach, at high tide the water is up almost right to the shore

Here is their website. http://www.ifdn.com/inp/

On Aug. 29th High Tide is at 9AM local time Low tide is at 3PM so about half way through between those 2 times you would be able to get to the gaves in St. Martins. It is a 45 min drive there and back.

You do not have to go on the Jet Boat to appreciate the Reversing Falls. If you took a visit there in the Afternoon the kids would be able to experience the fierce rapids caused by the change in Tide level.

Also the kids may enjoy the New Brunswick Museum

http://www.gnb.ca/0130/

They have a large Whale exhibit with full size scheltons and lots of other cool stuff for them to see.

The Triumph usually Docks around 9am local time and departs shortly after 5pm.

SJNB: Thanks again - much. Just a note as to why this is all so last minute. Normally, I'm a compulsive pre-planner, but for a variety of reasons, I only booked this cruise this past Thursday. So, I am scrambling big time. I can't tell you how much your feedback has meant.

I think I'm honing in on St. Martins. I'd like to see the museum if we have time, but we're going to the museum in Halifax the next day as my son is very interested in the Titantic. I would like the kids to have some run and play time in Saint John. And I think if we planned on getting to St Martins around 10-ish, spent some time enjoying the town, then headed out to the beach around noon for 30 - 60 minutes, maybe grabbed a quick lunch before heading back to Saint John, with a drive by the reversing falls area at close to low tide, before heading back to the ship, we might have ourselves the perfect day. If you see any flaws in this plan, would you be so kind as to let me know?

Also, I have a question: I'm thinking about renting a car from Avis (I think they have a location near the pier - the address is Water Street - and the rate is about $50 for the day). But, I'm not sure what the driving conditions are like. I have a phobia of seaside mountainous roads, especially when they are not familiar and I have the kids in the car; frankly they scare the you-know-what out of me. I'd rather spend the extra money to go with someone who knows the roads if it's at all dicey. Also, how is the traffic? Major log jam as everyone else is trying to get back to the ship at the same time? If ever I don't want to miss the ship, it's when I'm traveling solo with two little kids!

I truly can't tell you how wonderful it has been to have your take on the area. I would really appreciate it if you could shed even a little more light on things. Thanks a lot!

Here are the direction from Water Street to St. Martins

1. From Avis turn left on to Water Street.

2. Follow this street (it is kid of a loop) till you come to a major intersection/Street Lights.

3. Go Straight.

4. You will come to an Irving Gas Station & Ford Dealership

5. Veer to the Right and keep to the right. (do not go straight through the lights onto the over pass)

6. Once you veered right there is a V in the road keep right.

7. You will cross train-racks and come to an interection/Lights

8. Go straight. This is Loch Lomond Rd.

9. Once you are on Loch Lomond Rd. you never get off.

10. Keep going straight through all the street lights you come to.

11. You will pass the Irving Oil Refinery, and Saint John Airport along your way

12. St. Martins is about 30 min. past the Airport.

These roads are not bad to drive on. There is one really steap mountain you have to go down on the way, but you are well warned of it. None of the Roads are directly along the water until you get into the Village of St. Martins.

Traffic is usually not bad. it's only first thing in the morning, and around 4pm in the afternoon

give urself 45min to 1 hr each way.

In St. Martins there is a resturant right at the Caves.

My goodness - once again you have been amazingly helpful. Thank you, thank you.

I'm really getting excited about going to St. Martins, especially if there is not too much in the way of extreme geography en route. I really appreciate the specific directions, and I think we'll try the restaurant for lunch.

I'm not sure if you can understand how very much your information/feedback/experience makes a difference in planning a holiday, but I do want to say that I, for one, am truly grateful.

If you ever consider heading south and fetching up in the NY area, I'd love to return your kindness. Thanks again.

your very welcome. I really think the rids will like going out and exploring the caves. There are also very old wooden covered bridges that you get to cross in St. Martins.

Here's to good weather.

currently they are calling for overcast and 72 degrees on Monday

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/Weather/Cities/Can/Pages/CANB0088.htm

the temps on this site are listed in degrees C to convert take the number x by 2 +32 to get degrees F

but there is a saying in Saint John "Wait 5 min. and the weather will change"

We live in Ontario, but our good friends happen to own the family restaurant in St. Martin's, Bruce and Nancy.

Not to be missed, free parking right beside the sea caves, great to explore at low tide. You drive across a beautiful covered bridge, small museum along the water, Close to the Fundy Trail for hiking and driving with nice lookouts.

Try the seafood chowder- the best in the world. They also have lobster dinners if available and great lightly breaded haddock fish. They only use canola oil for frying. Ask any other restaurant, what kind of oil they use and how long since they cleaned or changed it out. You don't want to know.

If you go, say hi to Bruce, hello from Al and Judi.

Have a great trip.

Al

SJNB: thanks for the weather info...have my fingers crossed. I'll be honest, while I've always wanted to see Nova Scotia, I am REALLY looking forward to Saint John. Can't wait!

Al: Will look forward to the wonderful food, and will definitely say Hi! Wrote their names and yours down, so I won't forget. Thanks!

Archived