Need advice - Equinox 11 nt W Mediterranean vs Constellation 12 nt E Medirerranean

cruisin lady ca

am looking at these two cruises - May 2016 - and am hoping that I can obtain feedback. Haven't been on either ship yet but will be on Equinox in March 2015. Looking forward to input about the itineraries and ships. My husband is not terribly find of sea days so I am trying to maximize days in port. Would also appreciate advice on selecting cabins.

Edited by cruisin' lady

am looking at these two cruises - May 2016 - and am hoping that I can obtain feedback. Haven't been on either ship yet but will be on Equinox in March 2015. Looking forward to input about the itineraries and ships. My husband is not terribly find of sea days so I am trying to maximize days in port. Would also appreciate advice on selecting cabins.

Your post fails to include the ports, which are the most important issue in my opinion.

However, having done cruises at both ends of the Med, I will assume that your ports are likely similar to ports that we have visited.

Assuming that the Connie is on an Istanbul to Venice or reverse, I would favor those ports to those in the Western Med.

I love Rome, but the port of Civi is some distance from Rome and Rome deserves more than a half day (of course you could always do a pre or post stay in Rome).

Istanbul is fabulous, loads of history and the main sites are easy to do on your own. Also, stopping in either Santorini or Mykonos is great as well as Ephesus and Athens. Still , I am an ancient history buff.

If you stop in Crete, then the many ports leading to Venice, there are great ones like Corfu, Dubrovnik and Split. Also, Venice is a wonder.

I assume you haven't been to the Med before.

The Western Med has some great ports, but getting to Florence and Rome can take a bit chunk of your day in the port. I love Barcelona as well.

As for the ships, you might be partial to S class, but we like the M class just as well.

• 4 weeks later...

About 5 years ago we took the "cruise of a lifetime", for us, on the CONSTELLATION, EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN, 14-day cruise in mid October. Starting in VENICE (coming from the airport in a water taxi), DUBROVNIK, ATHENS, POMPEI, AMALFI COAST, SANTORINI, NAPLES, ROME, FLORENCE (and LUCCA, a well kept secret gem), MONTE CARLO, AND ending in BARCELONA (where we stayed for 3 more days).

I don't know if Celebrity still has that cruise.

Although the Constellation doesn't have the Wow factor of the S class

Ships, she is a beautiful ship with a fantastic Crew.

IMHO I would go for this cruise, you visit some great ports, Malta, Crete and have an overnight stay in Venice, sailing from Rome you can

choose to arrive a few days earlier and take in the Eternal City.

Post cruise you could stay in Italy and travel to Florence.

I would also watch for price drops and look at possible upgrades to Aqua Class.