Traveling to/from EWR/Bayonne/EWR

Shaden1982

I've read a bit on this board about sailing out of Bayonne - from my notes and memory - this is what I have surmised. Please let me know if I am right....or wrong and what I can do to correct if I am incorrect.

We are sailing out of Bayonne May 6, 2015.

We are looking at hotels in the Jersey City/Newport Area. There are the hotels we are considering:

Courtyard Marriott

Candlewood Suites

Doubletree

Are there any other hotels worth considering in this area?

Transportation from EWR to hotel will run us about $50. plus toll and gratuity for a taxi or private car service.

Transportation from hotel to Cape Liberty will run about $50. plus toll and gratuity for taxi or private car service.

Transportation to EWR from Cape Liberty - we can use a shared shuttle after disembarkation for $17.00 per person plus gratuity.

Private Car Services to consider are: Dial 7, Carmelite, Independent Driver.

There are 2 of us right now that are for sure going, possibly 3 or 4 - can a taxi and/or private service handle 3 or 4 pax w/luggage for a 10 day cruise?

Thank you for your input. And a BIG thanks to all who have contributed to all the questions on this East Coast board - you have all been very helpful! :)

I've read a bit on this board about sailing out of Bayonne - from my notes and memory - this is what I have surmised. Please let me know if I am right....or wrong and what I can do to correct if I am incorrect.

We are sailing out of Bayonne May 6, 2015.

We are looking at hotels in the Jersey City/Newport Area. There are the hotels we are considering:

Courtyard Marriott

Candlewood Suites

Doubletree

Are there any other hotels worth considering in this area?

There are also two other hotels in the immediate area:

--- The Westin (just half a block down the street from the Doubletree)

--- Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson (built on the foundations of an old pier jutting into the Hudson River; fairly close to the Candlewood Suites)

Without looking up prices, I'd venture that these are the two most upscale of the five hotels on or near the Jersey City waterfront. All five hotels are conveniently located, and (without having stayed in any of them, but knowing the area very well), I'd guess that any of the five would suit your purposes.

There's also a W in Hoboken, just north of Newport; probably more or less on a par with the Westin. Roughly the same travel time and travel cost getting there from EWR and thence to Bayonne as with the five Jersey City/Newport hotels.

Not sure if this will be a factor for you, but most of the rooms in the Hyatt Regency will have views of the Hudson River and the Manhattan skyline, as will many of the rooms in the Westin and the W. All of the hotels on your list are just a block or so from the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway, so at any of them you can pop out the door and find yourself gazing at the river and the skyline.

I'll let other posters confirm the transportation details and prices; but, just off the top of my head, most of what you listed generally sounds about right to me.

Edited by Post Captain

There is an accessible public transit option from Jersey City to Bayonne plus a short cab ride into the port.

Do you have any sightseeing plans in NYC?

The 4* hotels on Hotwire in Jersey City are highly likely to be either the Hyatt, the Westin, or the W. Almost everyone reports getting the Hyatt or the Westin.

Thank you both so much! I haven't looked at Hotwire yet, and hadn't even thought of it. We've only booked once on Priceline or Hotwire, and that was for a Boston 4* that someone said would def get us the Sheraton, which it did.....

I think we're planning on 2 days ahead, so we can venture into the city to see the Memorial. And from all I've read here, I see that it's pretty easy to get there via public transportation from the Jersey City Hotels. How about from Hoboken if I had bid and got a hotel there?

Thank you both so much for your input. I really appreciate it - this being our first time sailing out of there and feeling like foreign territory! LOL!

Thank you both so much! I haven't looked at Hotwire yet, and hadn't even thought of it. We've only booked once on Priceline or Hotwire, and that was for a Boston 4* that someone said would def get us the Sheraton, which it did.....

I think we're planning on 2 days ahead, so we can venture into the city to see the Memorial. And from all I've read here, I see that it's pretty easy to get there via public transportation from the Jersey City Hotels. How about from Hoboken if I had bid and got a hotel there?

Thank you both so much for your input. I really appreciate it - this being our first time sailing out of there and feeling like foreign territory! LOL!

You're welcome.

To answer your question about getting over to New York City--yes, it's super easy from Hoboken (via PATH train or ferry, both located a very short, easy, scenic walk from the W) and from Jersey City/Newport.

The following websites provide all the travel info you'll need:

PATH (for the underground/under-river train to Manhattan):

http://www.panynj.gov/path/

(You'll see that there's currently no weekend service between Exchange Place [Jersey City] and the World Trade Center, due to ongoing maintenance work in the tunnels. But don't be alarmed, full service should be restored well before next May!:) In the meantime, there's substitute ferry service.)

NY Waterway (for ferry routes & schedules between Hoboken/Jersey City and Manhattan):

http://www.nywaterway.com/

NJ Transit Light Rail (for light rail service between Hoboken/ Jersey City/Newport/ Bayonne):

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=LightRailTo

(The relevant light rail line is the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail.)

And now you'll be able to find your way around the area without it feeling at all like foreign territory!:):D

Edited by Post Captain

Unfortunately your May 4-6 dates are a Mon-Wed so hotel prices are higher due to business travel. If budget is a consideration, I'd book a cancellable hotel right now for all the possible people in your party and watch prices as your plans are firmed up.

I did this for a family wedding weekend in Sep. We started out with the possibility of 8-9 people, so I booked three rooms at Candlewood Suites for me and my husband, my son, my daughter and her husband and three children (6 mos, 6 and 9) and possibly her mother-in-law. When the dust settled we had only me, my husband, my son and daughter and the 6mo old, so I cancelled Candlewood and booked just one oversized room at the Courtyard with two queens and a sofabed. This worked out perfectly for us - gigantic room, separate beds for the adult kids, a split bathroom and even a view of the top of the Freedom Tower!

Again, thank you both!! I'm leaning towards the hotels in Jersey City - looking at Candlewood & Doubletree - as they are considerably less $$ than Courtyard, Westin & Hyatt right now......

Since I wasn't sure if we were to come in a day or 2 early - I'm now getting excited about going into the city since its fairly easy transportation system. From the 9-11 Memorial is it easy to get into NYC - like Times Square?

The major 9-11 Memorial is in NYC - there is a small one at Cape Liberty.

Take a look at the NYC subway map. The #1 train stops in lower Manhattan near the 9-11 memorial (ALL the subways are very close together in that area) and it will take you directly to Times Square. Once in midtown you can return to Jersey City on PATH from 33rd & 6th near Herald Square (Macy's). Very convenient. If you're interested in Greenwich Village, PATH makes stops in the Village at Christopher, 8th and 14th streets.

The major 9-11 Memorial is in NYC - there is a small one at Cape Liberty.

Take a look at the NYC subway map. The #1 train stops in lower Manhattan near the 9-11 memorial (ALL the subways are very close together in that area) and it will take you directly to Times Square. Once in midtown you can return to Jersey City on PATH from 33rd & 6th near Herald Square (Macy's). Very convenient. If you're interested in Greenwich Village, PATH makes stops in the Village at Christopher, 8th and 14th streets.

Thank you again!!

I booked the Doubletree yesterday with some points and cash....so got a great deal!! :D