Vermouth on Holland America

mariners

We will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I can order the gin for the cabin. I can bring a jar of olives onboard, or probably get some from one of the restaurants. What I can't figure out is how to get the Vermouth for the cabin. I haven't seen it on any of the bar menus that I have read, and it is not on the order form. We certainly don't need a big bottle of it, and I am not going to "waste" one of the bottles of wine that we can bring onboard. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

We will be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I can order the gin for the cabin. I can bring a jar of olives onboard, or probably get some from one of the restaurants. What I can't figure out is how to get the Vermouth for the cabin. I haven't seen it on any of the bar menus that I have read, and it is not on the order form. We certainly don't need a big bottle of it, and I am not going to "waste" one of the bottles of wine that we can bring onboard. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

You can try draining the olives and replacing the liquid with vermouth! Voila, instant martini! :D

Vermouth is more like a wine than a hard liquor. Shouldn't you be able to carry it on?

Skipper's mom, that's a great idea that, even if I don't use it on Holland America, I can think of other times it would be perfect :).

northstatefarms, I didn't want to have one of the two bottles of wine we could bring onboard be a bottle of Vermouth. I think you would be able to carry it onboard.

The worse case scenario I could think of is that I buy a martini and ask them to hold the gin. A martini glass of vermouth would probably be enough vermouth for the whole bottle of gin.

Thanks so much for answers and banter that made my day!

We drink Manhattans so I have a spill proof bottle that I fill with Vermouth and pack it in my luggage, never had a problem, like someone said it is not a liquor so shouldn't be a problem and if need be I can argue the point. I buy cherries before boarding along with my two bottles of wine.

We drink Manhattans so I have a spill proof bottle that I fill with Vermouth and pack it in my luggage, never had a problem, like someone said it is not a liquor so shouldn't be a problem and if need be I can argue the point. I buy cherries before boarding along with my two bottles of wine.

The argument you would get in return is the corkage free bottle permitted to be brought aboard by each guest over 21 must be carried on. You cannot put it in your checked luggage. What a great way to start a vacation .... with an argument at embarkation. :)

Edited by sail7seas