Going to the bank asking for $1 bills

FlaMommy75

There is and they're not. How do people think they get on when people from other countries get on and give them Euros, Pounds, Aussie and NZ dollars and countless other currencies they've never seen before, they take them all and convert them to whatever they need.

They should accept Bitcoin for gratuities.

1212_Bitcoin_IRA_630x420.jpg

Edited by Baymax

Excuse me, peptobysmol, but is there a reason you need to be so rude and mean spirited???

If you read my post I NEVER said all the $5 and $1 bills were for tipping. If you must know, some of them are for tipping but I also need them because we are a family of four traveling to 4 different ports. I have small children who like to buy little souvenirs from vendors and I also I like to have small bills for all of the reasons people mentioned. :mad:

Yesterday after I left the bank I just thought this was a silly thing that made me laugh so I posted about it. I had no idea it would turn ugly and people would start insulting other people (who cares if people give people $2 bills…it is better than not giving anything!).

I enjoy cruise critic and feel 95% of the people on the boards are very kind and helpful…but those 5% make this board miserable.

I don't think you should worry about it. Your post was clearly for fun, but there are always going to be trouble makers.

Awhile ago I posted on the RCL board about my minor daughter winning karaoke and the only prize they had was a bottle of champagne. I thought it was crazy in a weird, silly way. Oh my goodness....you wouldn't believe some of the replies.

Have a great time on your cruise!

I have lived in Canada for almost 23 years and go to the US a lot. I have never seen a US $2 bill. If I hadn't read on cruise critic that they existed and were legal tender, I would never accept one if offered to me. Why would you want you give the crew something so out of the ordinary for a tip as a $2?

I have lived in Canada for almost 23 years and go to the US a lot. I have never seen a US $2 bill. If I hadn't read on cruise critic that they existed and were legal tender, I would never accept one if offered to me. Why would you want you give the crew something so out of the ordinary for a tip as a $2?

And do you know what notes are legal tender5 in say UK or Aus or NZ?

I can guarantee you the crew take all of those without a seconds hesitation they even take pound coins and $2 coins they then take them to their on board banking system who processes them.

I've been saving up my small bills since I booked my cruise!

For several cruises i've been on, the front desk either does not have change, or can only break small amounts.

If your venturing out on some of the Islands - especially if your going shopping or using public transportation it is EXTREMELY important. Its one other hustling tool to get a few extra dollars out of you - no change! Its always great when hopping on a bus and to have exact change while everyone else is fidgeting around trying to do the match between other passengers since the bus driver never has change. Get small bills before your trip!

The irony of this whole thread is that if you've ever been to a strip club, I have, you don't need to walk in with tipping money (ones, etc.) hanging out of your pockets. You simply sidle up to the bar and order an overpriced drink and believe me all the change for that drink will be in ones. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The bank doesn't care what you are doing with YOUR money. Just don't deposit 10k or over in cash, that'll bring the feds on your trail.

Tip however you want and how often you want and I'll do the same.

The irony of this whole thread is that if you've ever been to a strip club, I have, you don't need to walk in with tipping money (ones, etc.) hanging out of your pockets. You simply sidle up to the bar and order an overpriced drink and believe me all the change for that drink will be in ones. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The bank doesn't care what you are doing with YOUR money. Just don't deposit 10k or over in cash, that'll bring the feds on your trail.

Tip however you want and how often you want and I'll do the same.

Strip clubs always have plenty of singles. At the end of the night the girls cash them in at the bar or with the manager/owner for big bills. Even they don't want to walk around with all those singles.

Is there any reason to need to tip room service in cash ? Can we not just write the tip in on the slip we sign ?

The only slip we ever received was the hang tag we placed on the door the night before that we marked the items we wanted to be delivered and what time. They said, sign anywhere. It wasn't like the bar receipt we received. It might be different at non-breakfast times though.

Now that's the best idea I ever read on a tipping thread.

But from now on it's $2's for me then when they say .."What's that" or "We don't like 2's" I can just say "OK" and stick it back in my pocket, thanks for the advice all.

Part of me wants to agree with you. Every bank will take them, and they can be deposited in any ATM.

I know people think they are strange; but they are legal tender and to not want them as tips is like biting your nose off to spite your face.

What's even more crazy is that if you carry only $2 bills; then your minimum tip is $2. If you carry $1 bills your minimum tip is $1. Explain this to any one who doesn't want a $2 bill; and then ask them which they want: the $2 bill or the $1 bill. They'll take the $2 bill every time.

At least we're not tipping in those gold colored dollar coins.

I wasn't aware that every single person in every single foreign nation was up to the minute with the wonderful United States of America's legal tender. Even Americans in this thread didn't believe these to exist...

Talk to your stateroom stewards, they'll tell you. Better yet, try it yourself. Only take $2 bills when shopping in port.

Hmmm... But with over 3000 americans per ship several times a week.... If we are having this discussion; then I guarantee you they've seen them before.

We an't be on the only ones; even if fewer than 1% carry them that would still be several dozen per cruise.

Like someones else suggested; if the port stores don't like them; then tell them "never mind" and start to leave. I bet they'll take them then!

There is and they're not. How do people think they get on when people from other countries get on and give them Euros, Pounds, Aussie and NZ dollars and countless other currencies they've never seen before, they take them all and convert them to whatever they need.

Very good point! Surely not everyone use $1US bills.

I am still trying to ascertain whether anyone has first-hand experience with not having $2 bills accepted wherever American currency is normally accepted, or if those who say $2 bills are anathema are simply repeating what they have heard or read, most likely here on Cruise Critic. :rolleyes: I find so often that opinions or hypotheses get repeated enough that they take on the solidity of fact, though they never were true to begin with. Ultimately, I don't care if $2 bills are accepted or not -- I am trying to find out whether the popular prejudice against them is fact or simply oft-repeated and therefore well-accepted (and even well-loved) rumor.

In addition, has anyone who says that crew do not want to be tipped in $2 bills ever had a crew member actually say that in so many words, or have these assumptions also been "put into the mouths" of hypothetical crew members based on assumptions about how crew members might or should be expected to respond to $2 bills?

Tipping in two dollar bills for ship employees is not a good idea. Many of the countries they visit and some employees themselves believe them to be fake and many stores will not accept them.

May I ask where you acquired this information? Do you have first hand experience or are you passing on information you have heard from someone else? Do you know what stores will not accept US $2 bills (legal tender)?

I wasn't aware that every single person in every single foreign nation was up to the minute with the wonderful United States of America's legal tender. Even Americans in this thread didn't believe these to exist...

Talk to your stateroom stewards, they'll tell you. Better yet, try it yourself. Only take $2 bills when shopping in port.

I am still trying to ascertain whether anyone has first-hand experience with not having $2 bills accepted wherever American currency is normally accepted, or if those who say $2 bills are anathema are simply repeating what they have heard or read, most likely here on Cruise Critic. :rolleyes: I find so often that opinions or hypotheses get repeated enough that they take on the solidity of fact, though they never were true to begin with. Ultimately, I don't care if $2 bills are accepted or not -- I am trying to find out whether the popular prejudice against them is fact or simply oft-repeated and therefore well-accepted (and even well-loved) rumor.

In addition, has anyone who says that crew do not want to be tipped in $2 bills ever had a crew member actually say that in so many words, or have these assumptions also been "put into the mouths" of hypothetical crew members based on assumptions about how crew members might or should be expected to respond to $2 bills?

See above and other responses.

Edited by Baymax

Part of me wants to agree with you. Every bank will take them, and they can be deposited in any ATM.

I know people think they are strange; but they are legal tender and to not want them as tips is like biting your nose off to spite your face.

What's even more crazy is that if you carry only $2 bills; then your minimum tip is $2. If you carry $1 bills your minimum tip is $1. Explain this to any one who doesn't want a $2 bill; and then ask them which they want: the $2 bill or the $1 bill. They'll take the $2 bill every time.

At least we're not tipping in those gold colored dollar coins.

Well in Australia we haven't had $1 or 2 notes for almost 30 years I've boarded ships the first day in Aus and never had crew knock back my strange (to them) gold coins.