millie vs Brillance

jezzdogg

We are going to cruise Europe this summer( finally have my dh okay)now what ship. Millie and Brillance(Royal) are both doing the med in august. Which one is better -- or is just a pick one. Could use some help deciding and the reasons why. Many thanks

norm

They are both great ships. The Celeb ships are more elegant, have less people, and the service is a bit better. Celebrity is our favoirite line. That said, I prefer the Radiance class ships over all that I have sailed so far. I would choose Brilliance, unless I could once again get a good price on a corner FV (Millie class)!

paul

Have not sailed Celebrity ship YET.......coming next April is our Infinity cruise.......

Just got back from the Panama Canal on the Brilliance and I can tell you it is a beautiful ship.......you can't go wrong in my opinion with the Brilliance.

Jim

Nordic Prince 8/88

Viking Serenade 3/93

Enchantment 3/01

Rhapsody 9/02

Splendour 4/03

Rhapsody, 9/03

Brilliance, 4/04

Until Our Caribbean Princess Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;06;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Hawaii on Inifinity

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;4;6;23;59;00&timezone=GMT-1100

Until Vision/Mexican Riviera

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;10;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Hi there.

We did Millennium Med last summer and it was superb in everyway. Prior to booking had the same dilemma as you but KNEW that we preferred Celebrity ships over RCCL for dining, service and fewer bodies on board. But to shake things up a bit we are returning to the Med next summer and booked Brilliance just to experience it differently. (?) As previous posters have said it's hard to go wrong...the Med experience is so incredible that it would be hard to pick a bad ship. I'd do it in a canoe.

well folks we decied to go with Millie, because of the food being better and also there were more ports that we had not been to. After all was said and done it wound up costing aobut 400 more, but it is 2 days longer. Hope we made the right decision, however, there was proably no really wrong choice. Many thanks

norm

I've been on both ships. You did the right thing by favoring the ship with the better itinerary. The extra couple of days is a bonus too.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;3;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

We've sailed both ships, while Celebrity is our favorite we had an incredible cruise on the Brilliance, she's quite a glamour lady with excellent service and fine food. We were so pleased that we booked the Jewel's Transatlantic

sailing in September.

Having said that I would choose by itinerary and price, either way you won't be disappointed.

Pat

Both ships are excellent. We did the Baltic on the Millenium and the Med. on the Brilliance. While the Brilliance is the better ship, My husband and friends loved the self levelling pool tables, I think the service was far superior on the Millenium. We are booked on it again doing a transatlantic this November. Either way you can't go wrong, but if I was choosing it would be Celebrity all the way!

Nancy

We were faced with that exact decision for this past August...

And we eventually found the one factor that made the choice VERY easy: The itinerary...

Brilliance cruises go Barcelona to Barcelona on a round trip...they alternate itineraries, forcing you to choose between Venice and the Adriatic or Athens and the Aegean...

Because the Millennium goes ONE-WAY (Venice to Barcelona or vice-versa) they have the time to get you to BOTH areas...

Plus, starting and ending in two different ports allowed us to do two distinctively different pre- and post-cruise stays--BOTH Venice and Barcelona, enjoying a great extra two nights in each...

The fact that the Food and Service on Celebrity is superior was just an added bonus...

Both ships are nice...but the Millennium feels a bit roomier...and with the port intensive itineraries, it's not like tyou have a lot of time for the Roller-blading and Rock climbing on the Brilliance...

I'd go with Millennium, hands down...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

Thanks Steve that is exactly why we choose the Millie, both cruises hade great prices, but the fact there were more ports we had not stopped at before gave the edge to Millie. Also, she maybe 200 dollars more, but the Aug 13 cruise is 14 instead of the usually 12, with a extra day at sea and a stop at Malta. We did Summit in Alaska last year with the cruietour. You will love it, for the cruise part booked all our own excursions, which we incredible so if you need any info, no problem

norm

The Jewel has had their 2005 summer schedule out for quite a while now. They offer 2 cruises to the British Isles and Fjords. The price looked good so we booked. If the Constellation offers a similar price (taking into consideration that it is 14 instead of 12 days), maybe we will change. But...I have heard good things about the Jewel. The food can't be that bad!! If it is, maybe I'll lose some weight! A 12 day will allow us more extra days in London, so that is a plus. Of course the extra days in London will probably be more $$$ than the extra days on the Constellation!!! Choices & decisions!!! This should be our biggest problem in life!

You are right, hopefully the prices will stay where they are so we can booked the Jewel for next summer,( while on board the MIllie) desperately want to do the Northern Europe route, however when we went to look at prices in Feb, while on board the Marnier, prices had gone thru the roof( they were akings 3,800 w/o air for a guarantee balcony) for Aug 8th. We were able to book Millie balcony 2a for a whole lot less (5122) for both of us w/0 air. The nice thing about booking on board is the shipboard credit,7 day cruises they give you 100 and 10-14 day cruises they give you 200.

norm

Norm, I saw what looked like a good price for the Jewel and I grabbed it, even though we have never done Royal Carib and even though it is so early. The next thing I knew, they raised the price. We booked an inside because when we add air, hotel etc. in London and convert to Canadian $$, it comes to a high enough figure for a vacation. We are going on June 21/05. Which cruise are you thinking of taking?

P.S. We just returned home from a weekend in Westchester. Isn't that near you?

Westchester is just the other side of the Tappan Zee Bridge, south of us, so if you where coming down the thruway you past us. When you say they rasied the rates already, what were they before and now?? Wow I can not believe that with over a year to go the rates went up. if yopu do not mind would be interested to know what the rates where and what they are now. We book a balcony cabin, got spoiled and now can not go back love sitting out there relaxing. We were thinking of July or Early August sailing. We go away in Feb. for anniversary and husband's birthday( going on the Navigator with some friends) an maybe for Easter( so I do not have to cook for the holidays) Right now still neg with dh for extra time in Europe this summer hoping to talk him into and extra day or 2 in Venice-- tht has to be one of my favorites cities. speak to you soon

norm

Hey, Norm, we actually just spent the weekend RIGHT NEAR YOU!!!

Went to the double Bar Mitzvah of my cousin's twin sons...in Orangeburg...Party was that night at the "Town & Country" on 9W in Congers...Brunch the next morning at the 303 Grill...right across from the Palisades Mall in Nyack...Stayed at the Holiday Inn on the 303...

So, how close were we???

Definitely take the extra 2 nights in Venice...

We did that plus an extra two in Barcelona as well...It really helped make the trip for us...It was almost surreal wandering around Venice for two days pre-cruise...with the anticipation of the cruise itself, getting over the jet lag, wandering the town at our own pace, enjoying the fantastic food...It really set a tone for us...

And our two extra nights in Barcelona worked out great as well...an excellent wind-down and a chance to relax a little in another fantastic city...

Plus, it turned our 13-night cruise into an 18 day vacation...

Steven, when you were at Grill 303 you really in West Nyack, I live us a couple of miles from there. At this point the cruises leaves on the 13th of August, so trying to convince my DH to fly out the 10th, which would have us arrive on the 11.( we have been to Barcelona before) and cruise ends the 27 , so hopefully leave Venice of the 29th. What cruisetour are you taking on Summit, did Alaska last year on her and did most excurions on our own, have some great people who do them that are wonderful. Let me know if I can be any help

norm

We're on Cruisetour #15...Two nights in Fairbanks -- Train to Denali -- Train to Talkeetna--Bus to Anchorage--bus to Alyeska --bus to Seward and ship...A lot of excursions are included on cruisetour portion--Sternwheeler/Indian Village/Gold mine in Fairbanks, 7 hour wilderness tour in Denali, City tour in Anchorage, gondola ride in Alyeska...We've booked Southeast Tours in Skagway for the 6 hour Yukon Horseback riding trip...

Still undecided what to do in Juneau, Ketchikan and Icy Strait...Any suggestions are appreciated...Thanks...

In Juneau we did a helicopter to a Glacier with Coastal Helicopters, they were fantastic, took us to a Glacier, hiked to a waterfall-they are very experience, not the guys who just come in for the summer, they work all year round so they really know what they are doineg, web site is www.coastalhelicpters.com. In Keitchen took a float plane to Misjord Fjords, her name was Michele Madsen- her co is Island Wings air service her number is 888-854-2444 0r 907 225-2444. In Juneau we also went whale watching with Captain Larry, it seemed everyboat out there was following him-- we found a large pod of whales bubble feeding what a incredible sight, will look for his number if that is what you want to do. Gold Mine in Fairbankks is a "trip" somehow, everyone wins up with the same amount of Gold from there sack, but is enjoable. We didi cruisetour I think it was either 13 or 14, so very similiar. You will h ave a blast. Remember one night to eat in the "Normandy" the food and presentable are worth the price. Last year I did a whole lot of research so any other questions, will be glad to help

norm

100 dollars is liveable, however, when we tried to book in Feb for the Northern Europe this summer the rate for a balcony guarantee was close to 7800. Which was way to high-as I said we are doing a 14 day Med cruiseincluding air for 2000 less-now dh has me looking into buying 100 shares of the stock, before you get shipboard credit on evry sailing-just maybe be worthwhile.

norm

Archived