Best view of departure from New Orleans

2-laner

Was hoping for some recommendations on where to watch New Orleans pass by us as we head down the Mississippi River on the way out to sea. We have a balcony cabin but sadly it is on the starboard side of the ship and I wanted my daughter to have a view of Jackson Square, etc. as we sail by. I would prefer a more quiet location as opposed to music, crowds, etc. We will visit those areas a little later in the day.

You are on the starboard side and your balcony will be good. The ship turns around before the bridge so starboard is actually the side you want to be on. Port side is usually along the dock if the ship is facing forward but it does a turn before it heads down the Mississippi.

Yes...this was true for us on the DREAM this last summer. Nothing better than sitting on your own balcony!!! The trip down the Mississippi is amazing!!!

You are on the starboard side and your balcony will be good. The ship turns around before the bridge so starboard is actually the side you want to be on. Port side is usually along the dock if the ship is facing forward but it does a turn before it heads down the Mississippi.

I think I must be getting my port and starboard mixed up. As you face the front of the ship, our cabin is on the right side. (By the way, we are on the Dream. I think I forgot to mention that) I was pretty sure that the ship would turn around before it started sailing by the French Quarter area. So wouldn't that put the left side of the ship with the view of New Orleans/Jackson Square?

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. We are really looking forward to this trip. My daughter's first time to New Orleans. My only regret is the time of year we are sailing as it will be dark the majority of the way down the river. Oh well. We will still enjoy every minute of it. :)

I think I must be getting my port and starboard mixed up. As you face the front of the ship, our cabin is on the right side. (By the way, we are on the Dream. I think I forgot to mention that) I was pretty sure that the ship would turn around before it started sailing by the French Quarter area. So wouldn't that put the left side of the ship with the view of New Orleans/Jackson Square?

Yep, you are correct! The port side will be the side to watch NOLA pass by on sail away.

We have late dinning so we should be able to watch the river until it gets too dark to see. Which in the first part of January will probably be by 6:00 or earlier. :( Would love to watch the approach back into New Orleans. Any idea what time that will be Sunday morning?

We have late dinning so we should be able to watch the river until it gets too dark to see. Which in the first part of January will probably be by 6:00 or earlier. :( Would love to watch the approach back into New Orleans. Any idea what time that will be Sunday morning?

It will be somewhere between 5-5:30 am to be back

We had an aft wrap on the Dream. Setting on the balcony and watching all the sights slip away, What a wonderful start to a perfect cruise. If you can swing an aft wrap it is something you will not forget. The people along the river are a great, they stand along the river banks and wave. Love Love the cruise down "old muddy". There is no port like New Orleans and your first 8 hours down the river ,,,,, Everyone has to do New Orleans once, or maybe twice.. How about 8 times and have two more NO cruises booked LOL

I am thinking that I will need to do another cruise out of New Orleans when there is more daylight. Looks like we will be in the dark for the majority of the river travel. I might get up early in the morning on the last day and watch the ship approach New Orleans thou. As long as there is no fog issues I bet the city looks pretty nice all lit up.

We had an aft wrap on the Dream. Setting on the balcony and watching all the sights slip away, What a wonderful start to a perfect cruise. If you can swing an aft wrap it is something you will not forget. The people along the river are a great, they stand along the river banks and wave. Love Love the cruise down "old muddy". There is no port like New Orleans and your first 8 hours down the river ,,,,, Everyone has to do New Orleans once, or maybe twice.. How about 8 times and have two more NO cruises booked LOL

Yay! We have our first balcony cruise in a month ... and it's an aft! We usually hang out on the top and watch the sail off, but I think we may sit on our balcony!

You can watch from the Hot tubs on the Port side on the Promenade deck or go all the way forward on most balcony decks and out the door next to the last cabin. There are outside deck areas along the front there that many people don't know about, especially at the beginning of the cruise.

I agree with everyone as to where to view the river, but after dark setting on your aft balcony with a drink and the one you love, you will see all the oil rigs all lit up, like a city in the water....Do it one time.....I still remember our first time, Some thing to remember,,,,,,, that is what cruises are for,,,,,,LOL