Houston Bayport wine and liquor situation this season?

James in SA

Last season we cruised Princess out of Houston twice, and at that time they were not collecting the corkage fee or even asking about wine in our carry-ons at the Bayport terminal.

For those who have cruised out of there this season, are things still that way? It was so laid back and friendly compared to the last time we were on Carnival, where a ridiculous amount of time was wasted squeezing each can of soda and examining every bottle of water for signs of tampering. They were obsessed! (And yes, they were only cans of soda and bottles of water.) Princess didn't bother with such silliness, and the lines were a breeze.

Also, I understand the State is collecting tax on liquor purchases on your return to Galveston. Are they doing that at Houston Bayport too now? I'm thinking if they are and it is very much it probably isn't worth the bother of purchasing liquor on the cruise and carrying it off anymore... unless it is something hard to find at home.

We are going on Emerald Dec 7th, just wondering what to expect.

Thanks!

Edited by James in SA

I can't speak about Princess, but NCL is definitely collecting the corkage fee. One of our party got pulled aside for it.

They didn't squeeze and shake the water bottles the way they do in Galveston. We had a 24 pack in a small gym bag and after it went through the scanner I collected it and went to the check-in line without anyone giving it a second glance.

They do have a table set up to collect the taxes at the end of the cruise by the exit door. It's on the honor system though and I only saw a couple of people stop. I had a bottle of wine in my carry on and just walked right on by.

The people working at the port were very friendly and courteous. No issues to speak of.

Not sure how this will translate to a Princess sailing as I don't know if some of the policies (like checking water) are a port thing or a cruise line thing.

Edited by Rudyard

Was on the Emerald last week from Bayport and didn't have any issues carrying on two bottles of wine in our carry-on. This was within the allowable limit, however, so I can't say if they would want to collect if you had more.

They did not open the bag to inspect the bottles to verify contents.

Thanks. That's how it was the last time in March. I had 4 bottles in my carry-on and was prepared to pay the corkage on the extras if asked to. They didn't say a thing, and I didn't see anyone inspecting wine bottles or collecting corkage. Check-in was pleasant, courteous, and a breeze. Very nice compared to the usual TSA experience.

We don't drink that much, and last time ended up bringing the 2 extra bottles home unopened. We always buy drinks from the bars anyway, and on port days there is usually plenty of alcohol. :-) The wine is just something nice to have in our room.

That is why I was asking. If they are actually collecting corkage in the terminal now, I would want to make sure I brought only what we would actually consume.

BE AWARE, if you buy alcohol or cigarettes on cruise ships returning to Texas alcohol and tobacco will receive a listing and you will pay Texas taxes on your purchases before you leave the port.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

BE AWARE, if you buy alcohol or cigarettes on cruise ships returning to Texas alcohol and tobacco will receive a listing and you will pay Texas taxes on your purchases before you leave the port.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

Yep, that's what is posted in two or three of the comments above this!

Edited by rvsullivan

• 2 weeks later...
I understand that Texans are limited to 2 bottles of liquor when returning to the US through the Houston port. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Don't want to bring too much back and get it confiscated :eek:

Thank you:)

https://www.tabc.state.tx.us/poe/how_much_can_i_bring_back.asp

Traveling Out of State - How Much Can I Bring Back?

Importation of Alcoholic Beverages

A person traveling into Texas from another state or country can bring a maximum of:

•1 gallon of distilled spirits;

•3 gallons of wine; and

•24 twelve-ounce containers of beer

Restrictions

•There are no substitutions between the types of alcoholic beverages.

•The importation of alcoholic beverages must be for personal use.

•Importations cannot occur more than once in a 30-day period.

•The person making the importation must accompany the alcoholic beverages.

•Minors (persons under 21 years of age) or intoxicated persons may not bring alcoholic beverages into Texas.

•All alcoholic beverage containers imported into Texas are subject to the state liquor tax and a $3.00 administrative fee. This fee is included in the posted tax rates.

•Payment of the fees and taxes are documented by a tax stamp placed on the bottle.

•Please note that failure to pay the tax and obtain the appropriate stamp will subject violators to a fine ranging from $100 to $1,000 and/or a jail term of up to one year.

Importation of Cigarettes

TABC Ports of Entry personnel are also responsible for ensuring that the laws relating to cigarettes are observed.

•Persons 18 years of age or older may import both Mexican and duty-free cigarettes.

•A tax of $1.50 is due on each pack of cigarettes imported into the state, and a stamp is placed on each cigarette pack to indicate payment of the tax.

•The first carton of cigarettes has no importation restrictions with regard to labeling.

•Additional cartons are subject to U.S. Customs labeling laws. They cannot have "For Use Outside U.S." or "U.S. Tax Exempt" or any such wording on them.