Tipping w.no drink package

runner2013

In the three posts of his (or hers) that you quoted he said "Personally I was interested to learn that you could reduce/remove the 15% auto-tip on the charge slip they give you to sign. I wouldn't do it myself", "and I don't mind paying the 15%" and "I have no problem paying the recommended tips when I cruise".

His point is (as I read it anyway) that if it is in fact a gratuity than the customer should have the ability to adjust it (for instance, if service was sub-par).

Anyone who cruises and drinks at the bar knows that automatic 15% tip / gratuities is added to the tab and you can either keep the tip as it is or increase the amount of it via writing on the line and/or giving cash to the bartender. To me, he seems hung up on the wording of the words tips / gratuities and thinks the principle of it on cruise lines is different from a regular service charge in France. When in actuality, the automatic tips / gratuities is basically the same as automatic service charge - same principle / concept, different wording / phrase. I think that what he and others from countries that don't pay tips / gratuities keep missing or glossing over is - that word "automatic" or "mandatory" in the same sentence/line with tips / gratuities or in front of it. To make it dumb easy; automatic tips / gratuities = service charge. Now if wishes to not pay the 15% service charge aka automatic tips / gratuities on his drink tab, that's on him.

Edited by maywell