Independence of the Seas Couples Cruise SMOKING ALLOWED EVERYWHERE ON POOL DECK!!!!

starnsky

Do you know which cruise is couples only in Dec? We are on Silhouette 12/13/15 and want to make sure it is not a swingers cruise!!!

Its the one in our signature. Not to worry though, those cruises are charters, and are not sold directly by the cruise line or the usual travel agents, only the handful of agencies which are authorized to sell the charter.

If these two people quoted above were on the same cruise (the first week of Karters' B2B), there is a wide disagreement on the food.....and as is usually the case, there always is a wide array of opinions about the food on a cruise.

So I take the OP's point of view with a grain of salt. Every other person who was on an Indy cruise had positive comments about the food.

Yep - and everyone should REALLY take it with a large block of salt in this case, since their claim about smoking is completely false.

Do you know which cruise is couples only in Dec? We are on Silhouette 12/13/15 and want to make sure it is not a swingers cruise!!!

You cannot accidentally book this type of cruise. If you are booked on a specific cruise and you have no knowledge of the group, then you are not booked on it.

Enjoy your cruise

M

We were also on this cruise. We were on the pool deck everyday. There was smoking on the port side and we never noticed any on the starboard side.

The food was the typical Royal Caribbean selections from the Windjammer, Main Dining Room, Sorrento's and Chops. We had some good meals and some that we did not like. This was our first time cruising with RCCL and the "new" menu. We are not fans of this menu. We did eat at Chops and were very disappointed. It was not the same quality of our previous cruises. After this experience, it is not worth the extra expense.

...We did eat at Chops and were very disappointed. It was not the same quality of our previous cruises. After this experience, it is not worth the extra expense.

We've come to same conclusion with regard to Chops.

Interesting. If the usual crew (or even some significant part of the usual crew) chose not to participate in this cruise, where would they have stayed during this cruise, and who would have taken their place?

I don't know the answers to your questions other than to say that they don't sail that sailing. I found out from a crew member..they have all nationalities, religions and if they find it offensive or they have objections due to their religion/culture, they can opt out of the alternative lifestyle and gay cruises. He also told me that most like to work those cruises because they get more tips.

We were also on this cruise. We were on the pool deck everyday. There was smoking on the port side and we never noticed any on the starboard side.

We did eat at Chops and were very disappointed. It was not the same quality of our previous cruises. After this experience, it is not worth the extra expense.

We've come to same conclusion with regard to Chops.

Agreed regarding Chops.

Thanks for corroborating our observations regarding smoking on the pool decks. Port side only, never on starboard - crew was very observant & we witnessed that rule being enforced.

You cannot accidentally book this type of cruise. If you are booked on a specific cruise and you have no knowledge of the group, then you are not booked on it.

Enjoy your cruise

M

I can see it now. "I swear honey, I didn't know". :rolleyes: ;)

This is the second review I have read on the Independence having a group basically take over the ship. The other one was about a Spring Break cruise that was heavily advertised on the web, apparently. The ship was overrun with college students taking over the pool deck and hot tubs in this review and using the drink packages to supply their friends.

I wonder why the Independence seems to get the these groups, or if it is just coincidence that these two reviews showed up. I was on the Independence a year ago and had a wonderful cruise. There was an expected mix of people onboard with nothing too unusual to report.

Well, most allergies are individualized and it depends on the individual B cell immunity that decides to recognize a foriegn antigen as a allergin. Anything in this would could potentially become a allergin if a person's immune system decides it does not like it. For the most part tobacco smoke is a irritant and causes bronchial constriction and will cause asthmatics to have a attack, then they use thier inhaler to open up the bronchials to breathe easier, but I have seen people actually have a increase in mucus production in thier airway which is a direct result of histamine being released due a exposure to tobacco smoke so there are no absolutes when it comes to allergins except when it effects that person. Been in the health field for over 30 years and have seen a multitude of individulized allergies people have that seem impossible to others but they do exist. Most bizzare was a woman who claimed to allergic to her husband semen. :rolleyes:

You mean a worse illness than Anaphylaxis? Then that must really be bad:D. But like already stated. You can be legitimately Irritated by cigarette smoke but not Allergic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphylaxis

This is the second review I have read on the Independence having a group basically take over the ship. The other one was about a Spring Break cruise that was heavily advertised on the web, apparently. The ship was overrun with college students taking over the pool deck and hot tubs in this review and using the drink packages to supply their friends.

I wonder why the Independence seems to get the these groups, or if it is just coincidence that these two reviews showed up. I was on the Independence a year ago and had a wonderful cruise. There was an expected mix of people onboard with nothing too unusual to report.

I had the Independance booked for 10/25/15 until I found out what group was going to be on it. I quickly changed my reservation to the Oasis from the same port 1 day sooner.

Am I the only one wondering why someone who just got back from a swingers cruise is only talking about the smoking? :D

Haha, yes, it is a bit strange that all they could do is bitch about smoking and "nasty" food! :D

The OP said they ended up spending most of their time in their room and balcony. And that they only booked it so there were no kids on board.

Therefore, how would the OP know much else about things going on?

Because it happened to us a few times, it's VERY easy as a non-smoker to not be aware (or not remember) what side is for smoking, and to get your ways of going places, and to just accidentally walk on the side of smoking. Also it's very easy to forget what side is port, especially if you first learned port and starboard as a rower on a Crew team, where you're sitting backwards in a boat so you remember it backwards. (that's probably not all that common though)

I finally realized that if I was on the side with ashtrays on the tables, I was on the very wrong side.

It's so amusing how people want to quibble about the word describing a reaction to something. As if peoples' reactions are necessarily ANY different to an "irritant" vs an "allergen". I don't care WHAT it's called, just don't downplay another person's negative reaction to something as toxic as what's in American-made cigarettes.

Indy does a mix of shorter/longer cruises 6 day, and then 8 day. And this is what attracted the college kids on our cruise. It means during their spring break, which is only a week long, they can drive to Florida, cruise for 6 days, and drive home - cheap vacation. Throw in the unlimited drink packages - yup - it was a wilder/nosier than normal cruise.

We're booked on Indy again for March 2015, but this time on the 8 day leg.

It's so amusing how people want to quibble about the word describing a reaction to something. As if peoples' reactions are necessarily ANY different to an "irritant" vs an "allergen". I don't care WHAT it's called, just don't downplay another person's negative reaction to something as toxic as what's in American-made cigarettes.

Nobody is downplaying a person's negative reaction, they're just pointing out inaccuracies. If you were riding a horse and I said "don't bring that animal near me, I'm allergic to cats", you'd rightfully point out that it is a horse you're riding, not a cat. No question, a person can have a negative reaction to anything - perfume, cologne, after shave, second hand smoke. We shouldn't make light of them either but we should attempt to be accurate.

Am I the only one wondering why someone who just got back from a swingers cruise is only talking about the smoking? :D

I was researching different cabin types and ran across a couple on youtube doing a review of a Freedom Class Ship and a swingers cruise. I really wanted to know more about the cabin type, but they spent most of the review talking about the open atmosphere on the ship. It was an eye opener for me. :cool:

I think I'd steer clear of the hot tubs that week.

This is disturbing to me on so many levels. Up thread a pp asked how the couple were even aware of the goings on because, they spent most of their time in their cabin and on their balcony. Well, it's my understanding this activity is in your face, in full view of Promenade windows, and yes on the Balconies too!

Then another pp said they were in fact not aware they'd booked a Swingers Cruise. So much for being made fully aware.

But, besides all this it's alarming to me to think a non swingers cruise was used in this way. The staterooms, common areas, pools, hot tubs, it's so revolting.

I'm shocked that these people expose themselves to what may be life altering if not threatening in what the Utube showed as partying in dark rooms not just staterooms, and not being able to determine whom you were with or even what was being done to you!

Makes me rethink Cruising. Do all Lines allow this?

Edited by evelyn51

This is disturbing to me on so many levels. Up thread a pp asked how the couple were even aware of the goings on because, they spent most of their time in their cabin and on their balcony. Well, it's my understanding this activity is in your face, in full view of Promenade windows, and yes on the Balconies too!

Then another pp said they were in fact not aware they'd booked a Swingers Cruise. So much for being made fully aware.

But, besides all this it's alarming to me to think a non swingers cruise was used in this way. The staterooms, common areas, pools, hot tubs, it's so revolting.

I'm shocked that these people expose themselves to what may be life altering if not threatening in what the Utube showed as partying in dark rooms not just staterooms, and not being able to determine whom you were with or even what was being done to you!

Yes, all mass market cruise lines charter ships to legal groups...knitters, religious groups, swingers, bikers, jazz lovers, homosexuals, movie lovers, sports fans, you name it. Charters are extremely lucrative for the cruise lines since the cabin rates are much higher and much of the entertainment is often arranged by the chartering group.

If you're easily revolted by things that people might have done on a ship (or in a hotel/at a resort) before you get there, you should probably stay home. It happens everywhere.

FWIW, I don't see how anybody could book a full charter without being aware of it. When a ship is chartered it's taken out of inventory, and the only way to make a reservation is through the agencies handling the charter.

Edited by Cindy

I was under the impression through multiple threads on CC that chartered cruises cannot be booked since they are not on the booking schedule. As a matter of fact, there have been several threads asking about absence of a specific sailing date of a ship and people have googled to find out which group has it chartered. So I have a really hard time believing the cruise can be booked with no awareness of passengers.

I was not on this ship because we are not swingers, however, I go by two premises: They have paid or chartered the ship as an altered lifestyle cruise, and there were rules on how to behave in public areas (as discussed previously) so I can't believe that this was an orgy in all public areas. Unfortunately, sex on balconies and hot tubs at night also occur on regular cruises especially during spring break.

Since the OP says that they will be on Celebrity on the next adult cruise, I am going to assume other cruise lines also do this.

Edited by nednrom

I was researching different cabin types and ran across a couple on youtube doing a review of a Freedom Class Ship and a swingers cruise. I really wanted to know more about the cabin type, but they spent most of the review talking about the open atmosphere on the ship. It was an eye opener for me. :cool:

I think I'd steer clear of the hot tubs that week.

Me too!! While I'm not naive or a prude the type and amount of this type of carry on is disgusting. IMO..

Well, most allergies are individualized and it depends on the individual B cell immunity that decides to recognize a foriegn antigen as a allergin. Anything in this would could potentially become a allergin if a person's immune system decides it does not like it. For the most part tobacco smoke is a irritant and causes bronchial constriction and will cause asthmatics to have a attack, then they use thier inhaler to open up the bronchials to breathe easier, but I have seen people actually have a increase in mucus production in thier airway which is a direct result of histamine being released due a exposure to tobacco smoke so there are no absolutes when it comes to allergins except when it effects that person. Been in the health field for over 30 years and have seen a multitude of individulized allergies people have that seem impossible to others but they do exist. Most bizzare was a woman who claimed to allergic to her husband semen. :rolleyes:

Could we get back to cruise questions, and not hijack the thread about allergies. I too, am in the medical field, but came here to find out about the Independence of the Seas..;)

ah.. you saw those videos on Youtube too? :cool: