Royal vs Celebrity?

NOSaints1

What do you like to do all day ? So wine shouldn't assume because of your age you would prefer RCI. I am in my 30's and worked my way to elite in my 30's on Celebrity. I've cruise a lot and it is my favorite line. I also don't want to be entertained much during the day. I like the evening show and I like to read and relax during the day. If you want to climb a rock wall- RCI is your line. If you want to see a hairiest leg comp- RCI is for you. If you want great food, some entertainment, lectures or trivia or nothing during the day, Celebrity is for you. We are honestly only sailing RCI again because we have a young (under 2) son and Celebrity is very limited for that age range.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Have sailed Celebrity primarily, currently Elite, also RCCL and Holland America. Holland America had a really old crowd. Two week cruise to Panama Canal during school so not unexpected. My two teenagers were the kids on the ship. Food and service was excellent.

Celebrity has overall better food and cabin service than RCCL. We have been in suites or Aqua Class on Celebrity. Blu on Reflection was outstanding. Recently sailed Jewel with my 20 year old son and had a great time. As stated food was not quite as good as Celebrity, but still gained several pounds. There were people awake after showtime on Jewel and we had not experienced that on Celebrity or HAL. Have a family trip booked on Serenade in March and expect it will be great. Entertainment was similar on Celebrity and RCCL. Of course entertainment and food are very personal to each individual.

I have found that a day at sea is always better than a day at work and enjoy the time seeing wonderful places and spending time with family.

My DW is afraid to go on Celebrity because she might not fit in, that she would feel out of place. We're not fancy people.

I would not call it fancy, I don't think your wife would feel out of place.

• 11 months later...

You may be too young to appreciciate the difference, but I, as a senior, would never go on Carnival again (too young and noisy crowd), definitely choose Celebrity over RC, and also like Princess very much! Depends on your priorities.

Food and entertainment on RC are not good!

M.

Sailing on carnival and celebrity, if you enjoyed carnival, you'll be bored on celebrity. We liked X, but we don't attend the educational seminars or trivia, so there wasn't very much to do on sea days.

For food, DH and j were split. For MDR, he liked X, I liked carnival. And quite honestly, I liked carnival for stateroom service (our attendant seemed passive aggressive). We tend to get a balcony on carnival, and our X cruise, we had a concierge cabin-no difference in size or storage to us.

Our first RCCL cruise will be in March....

It all comes down to what you like about carnival and what you dislike. For us, we are more about price and itinerary, and our 3 X cruises have been cheaper than Carnival. We're in our mid 30s, and while we didn't see many of us on our previous sailing, we make friends with anybody.

Regarding fancy....I do agree. Better wine selection, formal night was way more formal-but now it's evening chic...so maybe in March, I'll disagree with the statement. X is also way more low key than Carnival, but plenty of drinking was had by all [emoji6]

Sailing on carnival and celebrity, if you enjoyed carnival, you'll be bored on celebrity. We liked X, but we don't attend the educational seminars or trivia, so there wasn't very much to do on sea days.

That's a bit of a leap. We prefer Royal Caribbean but loved our Celebrity Cruises. Granted, it's more adult than Carnival and Royal but we keep coming back to Celebrity for that adult atmosphere. As far as too fancy, Celebrity just flipped their formal nights to Evening Chic. As the first line to do that, I have to admit I never saw that coming.

As far as MDR food and service in general, we find the differences more from ship to ship as opposed to line to line. Celebrity's specialty dining beats both Royal and Carnival hands down.

You can't beat Oasis Class entertainment. After that, I'd put Royal and Celebrity on par. As far as late night, the longer Celebrity itineraries seem to be slower paced than the sevens.

Someone else mentioned a class system in a post. This a total crock. People pay more and they get more. We've done balconies, concierge, and Aqua but yet to do a suite. It's no different on Royal.

Overall, I think some people who cruise a lot will find Celebrity a nice change of pace from other lines but then again, I'm sure some won't. No one will really know unless they try it themselves.

We mainly sail Celebrity, the food is sooooo much better than Royal. We also love Oasis class on RCCL because of the variety of dining options and entertainment. Beyond the Oasis class ships, the food on RCCL is mediocre and entertainment just okay. We have 4 Oasis cruises book and many more Celebrity.

Just for reference, we are D+ on Royal but the crummy food, crowds, and the over board Dreamwork's events and characters are a simply turn us off. Oasis class however is less crowded, has great entertainment and wonderful dining options for every meal.

Good luck in deciding, if you want to have breakfast(w/charge)/parade with Shrek and Fiona maybe a smaller RCCL ship will work for you.

Good luck!

Odd but I have been on Voyager, Liberty, and Allure - Allure felt much more crowded was hard to getaway. Always lots of people - and I am one that does not follow crowds so I am pretty good at going places when others are going elsewhere. Hard to avoid 6,000 folks no matter what you do. Voyager and Liberty felt much more open and less crowded.

That's a bit of a leap. We prefer Royal Caribbean but loved our Celebrity Cruises. Granted, it's more adult than Carnival and Royal but we keep coming back to Celebrity for that adult atmosphere. As far as too fancy, Celebrity just flipped their formal nights to Evening Chic. As the first line to do that, I have to admit I never saw that coming.

As far as MDR food and service in general, we find the differences more from ship to ship as opposed to line to line. Celebrity's specialty dining beats both Royal and Carnival hands down.

You can't beat Oasis Class entertainment. After that, I'd put Royal and Celebrity on par. As far as late night, the longer Celebrity itineraries seem to be slower paced than the sevens.

Someone else mentioned a class system in a post. This a total crock. People pay more and they get more. We've done balconies, concierge, and Aqua but yet to do a suite. It's no different on Royal.

Overall, I think some people who cruise a lot will find Celebrity a nice change of pace from other lines but then again, I'm sure some won't. No one will really know unless they try it themselves.

Not a big leap. That was our experience. Luckily, we had a great roll call and those activities kept us busy.

hmm..my take.

It is not advisable to compare RCCL and X as they cater to different markets.. RCCL caters to mainstream market while X caters to more upscale market..

That is why food and luxury is better in X, while activities for families and shows are generally better for RCCL.

It might be better to compare RCCL vs NCL vs Carnaval vs Princess as they cater to the same market segment.

While X is better compared with HAL.

Just like Azamara vs Crystal vs Seabourne etc as they cater to the luxury segment...

My sister and I are older than you (mid 40s), but we've sailed Carnival (once), Celebrity (twice) and Royal (twice with third coming up in May). We far prefer Royal over Celebrity. Celebrity felt as if its sidewalks were rolled up and put away at 9 pm. It just felt dead. Royal, on the other hand, feels more vibrant. There are more activities, hang outs, etc. (We didn't care for Carnival much at all. The itinerary and crew were spectacular, but the decor was heavily stained and some of the fellow guests were beyond crude.)

Royal & Carnival or more alike than Royal & Celebrity.

Celebrity, Holland & Princess are in one group, Carnival, Royal & Norwegian in the other....this is my opinion

I agree. I wouldn't have said so a year ago, but I would now put RC in a class close to Carnival. So far, i would rank Princess, Celebrity and NCL higher than Royal and Carnival. Just my opinion.

And, Karen, I haven't 'berated' anyone ... just the cruise line or ship. I'm looking forward to meeting old and new friends on the Harmony. What is your problem? You don't need to be so defensive. Give it a rest and tend to your granddaughter.

Marie

Edited by BabaSails

We have a celebrity cruise booked for 2017, our first only having sailed royal caribbean and P&O before. I have to say that I am worried that the clientèle will be a little older than we are used to.

We are in our late 40's (me) and early 50's (him) and enjoy being able to dance the night away in the evenings. I am rather hoping that we will be able to do this on a celebrity cruise.

We have a celebrity cruise booked for 2017, our first only having sailed royal caribbean and P&O before. I have to say that I am worried that the clientèle will be a little older than we are used to.

We are in our late 40's (me) and early 50's (him) and enjoy being able to dance the night away in the evenings. I am rather hoping that we will be able to do this on a celebrity cruise.

Celebrity demography is affected by departure port, I think. The Eclipse out of Southampton will probably have a more mature pax profile that do cruises from Med ports - or the Carribean for that matter.

Stuart