Miniature Horse

e2011

Some friends sailed the Disney Fantasy a few months ago and there was a miniature horse on board. It was a service animal. The problem of course is it was a magnet for kids! I bet that horse is now in a thousand family cruise photos!

I really really would like to know the logistics on that one and what kind of service it provided.... Not that it isn't possible, but just due to size, would it be practical since most service animals need to stay with owners?

Some friends sailed the Disney Fantasy a few months ago and there was a miniature horse on board. It was a service animal. The problem of course is it was a magnet for kids! I bet that horse is now in a thousand family cruise photos!

We've been on several cruises where there were service animals on board. I've seen horses on land, but not on the ship. THat said, they are about the size of a large dog and may be much more practical for someone who needs a larger animal for balance issues or whatever.

If the guest has a balcony, the staff places essentially a toddler swimming pool on the balcony and cleans it twice a day. It is filled with whatever the guest requests--sod, wood chips, and something resembling cat litter are the most common. If the guest does not have a balcony, an area of the public deck in an out of the way location is designated for the animal. On the Magic and Wonder, this used to be on "not so secret" deck 7. Since this area is no longer a deck on the Magic, I don't know where they are placing the pool now.

Service animals, including mini horses perform many functions. Horses can be trained as guide dogs for the blind, and may work particularly well when someone needs the physical support of a larger animal. We've also seen animals on board who are there for seizure detection/warning and the same for hypoglycemia issues--these are typically smaller dogs.