Flying with wine

h22lude

This is sort of off topic and on topic all at the same time lol

My soon to be wife and I will be flying out of Boston MA to Spain for a 10 day cruise. We would like to bring our own wine on board. I know flying within the US you can put wine in your checked luggage. Can you do the same with an international flight? I have heard a few people say yes and a few people say no because of taxes.

Have you seen how they handle checked baggage? Better wrap and protect the bottles if putting in checked bags as well as putting it in a sealed plastic bag. Could be a real mess if a bottle breaks. There are some really good wines in barcelona at great prices. There are also wines at the cruise terminals. I would rethink this one.

Enjoy the cruise

Edited by Ed

Really is it worth the hassle for 2 bottles.

Buy Spanish wine before you board

I mean you will be in Barcelona and the wine is incredible

You are probably doing this for some sentimental or romantic reason because the risk of cracked bottles and ruined clothing certainly outweighs the benefits in my book

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you seen how they handle checked baggage? Better wrap and protect the bottles if putting in checked bags as well as putting it in a sealed plastic bag. Could be a real mess if a bottle breaks. There are some really good wines in barcelona at great prices. There are also wines at the cruise terminals. I would rethink this one.

Enjoy the cruise

Yep rethink it big time!!!!

And I really hope they aren't try to save like $20 by doing this

Penny wise pound foolish.

Unless that wine is really something special....

You risk breakage,

damaged clothes.

You may also be over the weight limit and pay dearly.

And if is some extra special bottle if wine just who would risk packing it? Lol

I think the op is pulling our leg

I would visit El Corte Ingles where you will find a supermarket on the lower level. They have a great choice of wines and the price will almost certainly be cheaper than at home.

We flew to Australia earlier in the year and were visiting friends. We brought six bottles of wine and six boxes of Sees candy which they love. I wrapped the bottles in tons of bubble wrap and checked in that separate piece of luggage. Everything arrived safely and unbroken, but we had to pay for the extra suitcase.

My soon to be wife and I will be flying out of Boston MA to Spain for a 10 day cruise. We would like to bring our own wine on board. I know flying within the US you can put wine in your checked luggage. Can you do the same with an international flight? I have heard a few people say yes and a few people say no because of taxes.

Yes you can do it with a flight to Spain. (And just about any place else).

There actually is special packaging that you're supposed to use to bring wine bottles in a suitcase in case of breakage, if not you can be liable for any damage done to others luggage.

With that being said, I usually wrap mine in plastic, a few layers of clothes and then put it in a plastic bag and have yet to have a wine bottle break on any flight.

Yes, you can bring wine in your luggage overseas. I agree with the other posters that you can buy good, reasonably priced wine near the port in Barcelona. The only times we have packed wine in our luggage has been coming home from Barcelona and Italy. We brought "wine diaper" with us and they worked great!

http://www.amazon.com/Diaper-Reusable-Absorbent-Eco-Friendly-Accessory/dp/B00308FONW

Every time we traveled with wine in our luggage, our luggage was opened and gone through by TSA or customs (they leave a note in your bag).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I wanted to take a bottle of Michigan cherry wine for a cruise but I had this horrible vision of my clothes (especially my white shirt) stained in cherry wine (thank you bag handlers). :eek: I have had small bottles of insect repellent get through the gallon bag. NO WAY!