Todd English

capegirl

We are going on a Caribbean Cruise on QM2 - I have read on threads that one can reserve Todd English at quayside on boarding. Is this a good idea due to restaurant being heavily subscribed each evening on cruise. Essentially we would like to book whilst on board if the Britannia menu does not suit us one evening and not make our minds up before we board what evening we want to go to Todd English.:confused:

We didn't dine in Todd English but from other threads it seems that most people chose to eat there for a "special" meal rather than to escape the meal selection in Britannia. Certainly the quality, quantity and choice of food in Britannia shouldn't drive you away - and remember that you can always eat in Kings Court although that is buffet and more casual.

Remember you pay extra for Todd English ($30 each ?).

We are going on a Caribbean Cruise on QM2 - I have read on threads that one can reserve Todd English at quayside on boarding. Is this a good idea due to restaurant being heavily subscribed each evening on cruise. Essentially we would like to book whilst on board if the Britannia menu does not suit us one evening and not make our minds up before we board what evening we want to go to Todd English.:confused:

It all depends on demand. On longer cruises there is more availabilty, however, if you book on board you may be offerred the least desirable evenings such as Formal where you would not want to miss the main DR food. Or only lunch may be available. During embarkation one can obtain a schedule of the evenings and events, so passengers start making there requests then. Why not make the reseravtion, you can always cancel it (with proper notice given) or attempt to modify later.

This is also the time to make reservations for all the free alternative resturants. If you do not book these at before boarding the ship, you may be shut out. We were able to cancel these the same day since no charge at issue.

If you wait until the menu's are posted, you are not likely to get a reservation for TE that evening unless there is a cancellation and no waiting list.

I hope that it is all right to post this here, and not start a separate thread. Iceman stated that you could always eat at the King's court, which was buffet. I thought that at dinner time the Kings court was 4 separate speciality restarants which are sit down or "salad bar and sit down" restarants. What is the story? We sail on the QM2 for the 1st time in Jan. 2006, so am curious.

Crownsnester you are correct about dining in the evenings at Kings Court. It does become a sit down style restaurant in each venue, one of them being at "The Chef's Galley", where for an additional fee you can watch the chef prepare your meals and the cost of the wine for each course is included in the price.

We did not eat at Todd's even though one afternoon we did have lunch reservations. We cancelled that morning due to heavy seas and just a lack of appetite for such a heavy noon time meal. I lived in Boston and had the chance to eat at two of his restaurants, so I am familiar with his style of cuisine and did not have a great desire to dine there on board. For those unfamiliar with his cuisine, it is Mediterranean influenced, multi-layered and quite often very complex. Many of the entrees with accompanying side dishes read more like a short story than a food listing. When it works, its divine, when it fails, it hurts your stomach and your wallet.

On a longer cruise, you might want to enjoy a meal here early on...after a week's worth of gourmet indulgences at the other restaurants, it may just be too heavy and rich for the blood.

Gotta tell ya....the Todd English dinner was the best meal on the ship. The service and food were beyond reproach. Having eaten in his land locked resturants we felt that the shipboard meal was equal to any one of the meals that we have had in his other resturants.

Our dinners in the main dinning room were not good at all, luke warm food and slow service. Did not feel it was up to the level that it should have been aboard a Great Lady like the QM2.

The Golds

We crossed from NY - S'ton in May and were in the Princess Grill. We dined one evening in Todd English and were not impressed. The quality of the food and service was significantly below that of the PG. It may just have been a bad evening but several other people complained as well. To me it certainly wasn't worth $60!

I did a RT crossing in July; & ate at Todd English twice. The menu never changed the entire 12 days. This was a good thing since it gave me a chance to try several different entrees & have some things twice. I found the Britannia D.R. quite good; & we had the absolute best waiter (Sergie from Lithuania). But back to T.E.; I'd like to make a few recommendations (if the menu is still the same). The lobster/baby corn bisque is divine. As is the asparagus & caramalized onion tart & ravioli in truffle oil as appetizers. Even though I'm not a bread eater, the caramalized onion focaccia in the bread basket was awesome (especially sopping up that truffle oil). Was disappointed in the fried pineapple upside down cake the first time. The real winner is the chocolate lava cake. I'd give anything for some right now.

I did a RT crossing in July; & ate at Todd English twice. The menu never changed the entire 12 days. This was a good thing since it gave me a chance to try several different entrees & have some things twice. I found the Britannia D.R. quite good; & we had the absolute best waiter (Sergie from Lithuania). But back to T.E.; I'd like to make a few recommendations (if the menu is still the same). The lobster/baby corn bisque is divine. As is the asparagus & caramalized onion tart & ravioli in truffle oil as appetizers. Even though I'm not a bread eater, the caramalized onion focaccia in the bread basket was awesome (especially sopping up that truffle oil). Was disappointed in the fried pineapple upside down cake the first time. The real winner is the chocolate lava cake. I'd give anything for some right now.

Liv4cruzin, you are so right about the chocolate lava cake...Sharon and I opted for two other desserts and our waiter brought us the chocolate lava cake in addition to what we ordered...it indeed was wonderful!!!.

The Golds.

Archived