When and how to tip?

Yes, except if you order room service. Then you pay as you go depending on amount of food ordered. I always pay last night. I only give the Room Steward a little if he/she is there to greet me and removed stuff from fridge so I can put meds in.

I've never done it before but this time I intend on tipping both at the beginning and end of the cruise; mainly to 3 people, cabin steward, head waiter and pool bar tender. I've always received good service but I've heard too many good things about doing this that I'm going to give it a try.

The only time that we gave cash up front, we got lousy service. Go figure.

The staff does not EXPECT up-front money, so I just tip at the end. (except at bars - flash cash with your SeaPass, and see the results! ;))

Theron's incomparable tip calculator, aid to millions of clueless travellers:

http://www.members.aol.com/CruiseTip

What about the concierge? What tip level is normal?

The line does not make any recommendation for the concierge, so it's a matter of personal preference.

However, you might find other thoughts on the matter if you search through the forum using "concierge" and "tip" as search terms.

Theron

http://www.members.aol.com/CruiseTip

I know what you mean. To those who claim that they received better service because they tipped up front, I always ask how they know?

We start our cruise with the assumption that the service will be excellent and have rarely, if ever, been disappointed. I feel that gratuities I pay at the end of the cruise reflect my appreciation for the quality of the service I received, and don't feel the need to tip up front to gain some sort of assurance that I will be treated well.

Besides, if I pay up front and receive lousy service, should I demand a rebate? :)

You will get envelopes for each of your servers and attendants near the end of the cruise in addition to paperwork and form for the baseline tipping. The baseline tipping form needs to be dropped off in a box at the Guest Relations desk. I saw several folks handing out those additional tipping envelopes to their servers and attendants directly on the last day of the cruise. They have made this process very easy.

The staff does not EXPECT up-front money, so I just tip at the end. (except at bars - flash cash with your SeaPass, and see the results! ;))

Theron's incomparable tip calculator, aid to millions of clueless travellers:

www.members.aol.com/CruiseTip

I have seen this mentioned ofter - flash cash with your SeaPass - how much cash are we talking about? We do like our booze and if there is a way of 'keeping it coming' we are all for it!!! Interested to know and should you try to stick to the same bartenders?

Honestly, I'm not that big a drinker, so I'm not looking for a daily session nor do I want or need a "personal bartender." This last week, though, I wanted to get the drink of the day and another drink at the same time, to use a 2 for 1 coupon, and I handed her a one dollar bill with my sea pass, and she charged me $3.95 for the drink of the day, and gave me the peach daiquiri for free! A big savings for me. The 15% on the bill standard gratuity gets divided up among all bar staff. Cash goes directly into the worker's pocket.

Archived