How cold is it on the Xmas/New Year NZ cruise

Janderra

Hi

New to this Australia cruising and I want to get it right. If anyone has done one of these cruises please advise. I don't want to pack too much of the wrong thing.

I am thinking that coming out of Sydney for the first 2 days it will be warm enough to wander around in shorts during the day or sit by the pool. However not sure how cold the air conditioning on the ship will be at night and if I will need long sleeves, jacket etc. If so taking sleeveless cocktail or casual frocks are a waste of time.

I imagine the further south we go the colder it will get on deck, will we need jeans a coat to sit on deck.

I know when we dock in NZ will probably need jeans, jumpers and coats but more worried about night in the dinning room. I have purchased new outfits for evening but now worry that I am going to be cold and then need to put a coat on and cover them up.

Need lots of advice as 14 days before we leave for Sydney and I am stressing.

Janderra

Hi

New to this Australia cruising and I want to get it right. If anyone has done one of these cruises please advise. I don't want to pack too much of the wrong thing.

I am thinking that coming out of Sydney for the first 2 days it will be warm enough to wander around in shorts during the day or sit by the pool. However not sure how cold the air conditioning on the ship will be at night and if I will need long sleeves, jacket etc. If so taking sleeveless cocktail or casual frocks are a waste of time.

I imagine the further south we go the colder it will get on deck, will we need jeans a coat to sit on deck.

I know when we dock in NZ will probably need jeans, jumpers and coats but more worried about night in the dinning room. I have purchased new outfits for evening but now worry that I am going to be cold and then need to put a coat on and cover them up.

Need lots of advice as 14 days before we leave for Sydney and I am stressing.

Janderra

When we went on January 3rd, it was warm in all of our ports. The only one where it was cool a tad was Wellington (because it was so windy).

the air conditioning can be cool on the ships sometimes. I usually take a shawl which more than does the trick for me. HAL usually also sells pashminas for $10 on their $10 day sale.

DH never needs any additional cover, as he wears long sleeved shirts at night.

On deck once the sun goes down, you might want a sweater or shawl or light jacket.

We did this cruise over the Holidays, in the reverse of yours, a few years ago. It was summer there, of course, so nice and warm everywhere, except when windy, as said above. Wellington was nice when we were there. As stated above also, the ship's air conditioning is the same as anywhere -- usually pleasantly cool, but there seems to be variation in different areas. I'm not a shorts wearer, as I'm afraid I'd frighten everyone off, but my summer pants and tops were perfect, with the occasional sweater. This was one of our favorite cruises, and we left Seattle just hours before a huge snowstorm hit and folks were without power for several day. Our timing was perfect! I hope you have a wonderful time.

we are going on this one too and I have been watching the weather in some of the ports we are visiting. For example today where I am nth of syd the forcast is 29.

Dunedin - 15!

Wellington 15!

Auckland 19.

Tanranga 19

waitangi 20.

nothing like the summers we have here more like our autumn to winter. If you have a smart phone you can add the ports to your weather app and watch them so you now how to pack :)

we are going on this one too and I have been watching the weather in some of the ports we are visiting. For example today where I am nth of syd the forcast is 29.

Dunedin - 15!

Wellington 15!

Auckland 19.

Tanranga 19

waitangi 20.

nothing like the summers we have here more like our autumn to winter. If you have a smart phone you can add the ports to your weather app and watch them so you now how to pack :)

Temperatures for this Thursday

Dunedin 17

Wellington 18

Auckland 19

Tauranga 21

Waitangi 20

Weather will likely be warmer by the time you arrive. I suggest that you bring light layers, and a light rain jacket. Remember a sunhat and sun cream. Wear a fancy shawl or light evening cardigan/jacket in the evening. Have a great cruise and enjoy your visit to our beautiful country.

If it gets really cold in the South Island then it is easy to dress like the President of USA

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/fashion/63665100/obama-snapped-in-kiwi-threads :)

It is our summer..but so far its shaping up to be not so good, windy and cool, so be prepared, bring some warm clothes, and that is tricky I know, as Australian's don't really need warm clothes, so layers may be required, a warm jacket, and some jeans or warm trou,hopefully you wont need them but...you possibly will, sunny smiles and lovely scenery will make up for any inclement weather along the way. Enjoy...