1st time HAL, Ryndam, August 2015, North Cape cruise

meaclasact2

Things have changed - we were originally going out of Rotterdam but found this cruise which meets our needs. Our itinerary on the Ryndam is as follows: sailing out of Harwich, Flam, Sognefjord, Alesund, Trondheim, Trondheim Fjord, Tromso, Honningsvag, North Cape, Molde, Geiranger, Geiranger Fjord, Bergen, back to Harwich.

First time sailing on HAL - we would like to book a balcony cabin. Are there any rooms we should avoid or is there a cabin we should aim to book?

Regarding the trip itself - for those of you who have done a Cape cruise - what would you consider to be a must see and/or do? I would appreciate your input on anything you believe we should not miss regarding our port stops.

I've sailed out of Southampton and Dover - Harwich is new. Is it feasible for us to stay in London for one night or should we head straight down to Harwich?

Doe HAL have any hotel/transfer packages (we will most likely be flying into Heathrow)?

I know it's a lot but these are the most pressing issues right now. Many thanks for your responses.

Ciao.

You can't go wrong with any balcony cabin on the Ryndam. We have sailed on her 4 times in balcony cabins in different areas. The balcony cabins on the Navigation deck are nice but we did hear a little noise from the lido and chairs being moved. Wouldn't not book a cabin on this deck because of this but it is nice to know ahead of time. The cabins on this deck also have the lido overhang to protect them from the sun. Some like this some don't. The cabins on the veranda deck are all nice. The aft cabins are near the dining room, lido main entrance and the Explorations Café. The cabins in the front of the ship are near the showroom I really don't think the most expensive cabins in the center of the ship are the best because they aren't near an elevator. There is no center elevator on this ship. If you are sensitive to the ships motion and don't mind walking these are the cabins for you.

I've never done this cruise so I can't help you there.

As far as air and transfers, price what it will cost you on your own. HAL certainly will do this for you. You may be able to do better on your own but if you like the security of being taken care of then let HAL do it.

Hope that helps.

I've been up and down the Norway coast more times than I can count, and all of these ports at least once---many several times.

First about the balcony: no matter if you are on Navigation or Veranda Deck, getting a cabin under the Lido overhang would be a good idea. Remember, there is the possibility of a lot of "liquid sunshine" on this cruise, and the overhang will protect you from the elements as you sit outside taking in the spectacular view.

The trips up/down the fjords are the best part of the cruise, imo. They can be totally different heading in then going back out, even on the same day. One time, it was sunny and gorgeous going up Geiranger Fjord, but foggy and raining coming down a few hours later.

Alesund, Trondheim, Tromso, and Bergen are all fairly good-size cities with any number of things to do. In Bergen you must spend some time in the old Medieval area where the Hanseatic League was centered.

I had an especially lovely tour in a catamaran in Alesund on a sunny afternoon. I wish I could recreate that tour.

Flam and Geiranger are small towns, with not a lot to do right in town. One lovely time is the train out of Flam. It can be done both as a HAL tour or on your own.

Honningsvag seemed to have a lot more to it on my last trip than on the previous ones. Perhaps it just seemed that way as the weather was good? This is the port for North Cape. It is a kick to go out there just so you can say you were at the top of Europe. The ship will probably have scenic cruising there after sailing. You can look up and see where you were. Oh, and the weather has always gotten clearer as the evening came on. That was a big help in seeing anything there.

Enjoy this exceptional itinerary! And the Ryndam. Gonna miss that ship. :(

We just booked and I am beyond excited. Thank you so much for your replies. I got a very good deal on a guaranteed Vista Suite...looking at the deck plans I will be on one of two decks. Forward, mid or aft will be fine.

Your tips are great and will be shared with DH, brother and SIL too. I feel the same about this trip as I did when we went through the Panama Canal - it was the voyage that we are looking forward too...the scenery...going to the top of Europe. It will all be great.

Again, many thanks! My PCD is cured (we just returned a few weeks ago)...we're going to the Cape! :D

We had a surprisingly wonderful time in Geiranger. Surprising because we weren't expecting quite as much. It is a small town, but there is a fairly new trail (with a lot of stairs) that goes up beside the creek/waterfall, with beautiful scenery. At the top there is a fjord museum. In the town there are a couple of places where you can get a cup of coffee or more and sit outside and visit.

Trish

We had a surprisingly wonderful time in Geiranger. Surprising because we weren't expecting quite as much. It is a small town, but there is a fairly new trail (with a lot of stairs) that goes up beside the creek/waterfall, with beautiful scenery. At the top there is a fjord museum. In the town there are a couple of places where you can get a cup of coffee or more and sit outside and visit.

Trish

We were on the Ryndam this August for the 7 night Norse Legends trip. We found Geiranger to be a lovely little port and also took the stairs to the top of the waterfall and were rewarded with a wonderful view point.

Would recommend an overnight stay in Harwich the night before the cruise. When we sailed from there with RCI in August 2013 we stayed at the Premier Inn right by the port. There is a train station at the port as well although we went by car. We loved our cruise on the Ryndam so much that we have booked the 14 night Voyage of the Midnight Sun on 4th July 2015. Super excited to be going back to the fjords and to be sailing up to the North Cape this time :D

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Forums mobile app