Dynamic Dining - 8 days on Quantum shows Royal could learn a lot from Norwegian

Mattsudds

I've printed out the Simple Tastes Menu and will be taking it with me on our Anthem cruise just in case. If the waiter tells me there is no such menu I shall produce it with a flourish and say "Ta dah!!!"

Hahahahahaha.

I hope by the time they get to the Anthem, this mess will have worked itself out.

In the mean time, I'm going to follow your lead and take printouts on my Quantum cruise in January. :D

8) Please please do not let staff give the 'comment card' speech every meal. It is the part of the cruise I most loathe, being told how to fill in a comment card, and now it happened to me every single dinner in the Dynamic restaurants. It really is not the way I want to end my dinner.

This is definitely because of it being a maiden/early voyage. Filling these out this early is important.

Guest maddycat
We were never asked to fill out a comment card. They probably just toss the negative ones so what's the point?

I will do the online survey. Hopefully there will be space to comment.

There is an area for comments. We received our online survey after we were home for only one day. This was Nov. 2nd from an Explorer cruise.

Paying for specialty dining keeps the lines/reservations in check. Norwegian has this down to a science. Just back from the Thanksgiving NCL Breakaway trip. I will say it was exciting to finally see Quantum up close at the sailaway and then again at Nassau. The ship looks gorgeous. Those I spoke with were giving less than stellar reviews though. From dynamic dining complaints to value and "wow for the dollar". I feel Royal is pricing themselves out of a competative marketplace. We usually sail with Royal and are 3 days shy of Diamond.... even with discounts etc... NCL was a better value. Quantum was going to cost us almost 8000.00 for two adjoining balcony staterooms (family of 4) Beverage package for all (age appropriate 2 adult 2 child). Ncl Breakaway was just shy of 4000.00 for the same plus the Dining package for all. I was ahead by almost 4000.00.... half price. I must say the food on Breakaway was excellent and put to shame dining on the Explorer from previos cruises. Maybe the new ship curiosity will let it sail full for a while, but if the "bugs" aren't worked out soon I think more customers will start to pursue other options. Yes I am one of the curious and will be sailing on QotS early next year, but I must say NCL gave my family a Lot of Entertainment & Value for the dollar and has opened our eyes to the other offerings. We were Super Loyal to Royal, but now Royal is just another option.

I personally found the food on Breakaway cold, bland, uninteresting and the service slow, tedious and impersonal. For me, to even compare it to the food on Explorer is laughable.

Given the constant comparisons of Quantum to NCL Freestyle it has me dreading the dining aspect of my February cruise on Quantum. I loathed the dining on NCL Breakaway.

I personally found the food on Breakaway cold, bland, uninteresting and the service slow, tedious and impersonal. For me, to even compare it to the food on Explorer is laughable.

Given the constant comparisons of Quantum to NCL Freestyle it has me dreading the dining aspect of my February cruise on Quantum. I loathed the dining on NCL Breakaway.

I have to 2nd that description of dining on the Breakaway. It was one of the worst dining experiences I've had at sea. Even one of their specialty restaurants, La Cucina, was terrible. Luckily it was included with my booking because I would never pay extra to eat there.

While DD on Quantum is similar to NCL's Freestyle in theory, Quantum's food and service is MUCH better. They definitely need separate lines and waiting areas. I will give that to NCL. But service and food is not a NCL strong suite IMO.

OP: I agree with RC needing to learn more about how other lines are successfully handling various non-assigned-time restaurants. And having a bar area by the restaurant lobby would be great--it works out very nicely on Breakaway.

I also agree they need lines for those who have reservations vs. those who do not--at restaurants AND shows.

Surely RC is monitoring guests' feedback (we got surveys when we were back from our 2 nighter) so hopefully changes will follow to make the experience better.

-----

Other: Food is subjective and tastes vary, so let's not debate which line's food is "better".

Edited by mizlorinj

With MTD on Royal, they had lines for those with reservations and those without. I'm confused as to why they wouldn't follow this practice on Quantum.

As for comparing all this to NCL, our experience on the Breakaway....we never had reservations and were seated within five minutes. The bar area outside the restaurants most times only had a handful of people. NCL may have their freestyle concept close to perfection as far as running smoothly but they should need impovement on the food and service.

Paying for specialty dining keeps the lines/reservations in check. Norwegian has this down to a science. Just back from the Thanksgiving NCL Breakaway trip. I will say it was exciting to finally see Quantum up close at the sailaway and then again at Nassau. The ship looks gorgeous. Those I spoke with were giving less than stellar reviews though. From dynamic dining complaints to value and "wow for the dollar". I feel Royal is pricing themselves out of a competative marketplace. We usually sail with Royal and are 3 days shy of Diamond.... even with discounts etc... NCL was a better value. Quantum was going to cost us almost 8000.00 for two adjoining balcony staterooms (family of 4) Beverage package for all (age appropriate 2 adult 2 child). Ncl Breakaway was just shy of 4000.00 for the same plus the Dining package for all. I was ahead by almost 4000.00.... half price. I must say the food on Breakaway was excellent and put to shame dining on the Explorer from previos cruises. Maybe the new ship curiosity will let it sail full for a while, but if the "bugs" aren't worked out soon I think more customers will start to pursue other options. Yes I am one of the curious and will be sailing on QotS early next year, but I must say NCL gave my family a Lot of Entertainment & Value for the dollar and has opened our eyes to the other offerings. We were Super Loyal to Royal, but now Royal is just another option.

I am Platinum on NCL and cruised on Breakaway to Bermuda her first year sailing. The initial reviews were less than stellar. Many complaints in regards to food service and wait times to be seated. Additionally in Breakaway's first year sailing rates were higher do to demand to sail on new ship.

Same thing happened on the Epic. That was NCL's first ship that required reservations for many of their entertainment options.