Water Levels on the Danube

nelderwoman

Hi folks

We are going on our first River Cruise with Viking. It's on the Danube. Budapest to Nuremberg

It's a Christmas market cruise

Can anyone answer a few questions

How are water levels ?

What's the weather like, is there any snow?

Can you normally walk to the markets or do we need shuttles or taxis

Any advice or tips gratefully received

Thanks

Dear Nalderwoman,

Unfortunately, the answer about water levels is -It depends. It will be a function of how much rain and snow there was in the previous weeks.

Below is the link to our trip story and pictures.

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/christmascruise2007.pdf

The biggest market will be in Nuremberg and you will be bused from the ship.

We are happy to answer any questions

Dear Nalderwoman,

Unfortunately, the answer about water levels is -It depends. It will be a function of how much rain and snow there was in the previous weeks.

Below is the link to our trip story and pictures.

http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/christmascruise2007.pdf

The biggest market will be in Nuremberg and you will be bused from the ship.

We are happy to answer any questions

Thank you for your reply and lovely photos. I'm getting excited now

When is your trip? We leave next Friday (Dec. 12th) for the same cruise on the Viking Odin. I plan on doing a "Live From Thread" (Maybe).

I've been doing some research, and reading over & over the packet of information we received from Viking.

In Budapest I believe the market may be within walking distance (information states a guide is available for anyone that wishes to visit the Christmas Market the day we embark, no mention of shuttles. In Vienna it states that there will be shuttles available in the afternoon (After the included morning tour) to the Christmas Market. I don't think we are in Melk long enough for any Market. Passau I think the market is within walking distance from the boat. Regensburg I'm not sure. I do know there is an optional tour (It has a cost) to the Thurn & Taxis palace in the afternoon, and there is what sounds like a lovely market included. In Nuremberg at the end of the included tour is time at the Christmas Market.

I haven't 100% decided about Vienna, we may skip the included tour and strike out on our own for the day, but in Nuremburg our plan is to skip the optional tour in the mid morning, skip the afternoon tour and do our own thing, which is go the toy museum, the transportation museum and then the market.

The Danube water level in Passau (my home town) is a bit below average, but river traffic is operating normally.

Weather today is sunny, about 5°C at night anout 0°C, no snow and none predicted. Should remain the same for the next couple of days.

Passau Christmas Market is within walking distance.

Have a great cruise.