Problem with Speciality Dining - Should I be offered anything?

Like the previous poster said, you should be grateful that they notified you before the cruise.

Guess we are lowering the bar for customer service expectations :eek: RCI has a responsibility to contact the customer as soon as they know that a customer is going to be impacted. The cruise line should be grateful OP is sailing with them.

Guess we are lowering the bar for customer service expectations :eek: RCI has a responsibility to contact the customer as soon as they know that a customer is going to be impacted. The cruise line should be grateful OP is sailing with them.
I don't think RCI has ever done that!

A couple of things. First off, I'm a ridiculous planner. You don't have to be on a cruise, but when you book land vacations (last year's trip to Machu Picchu comes to mind because there are a lot of logistics involved) you need to be. But I love planning and I always have...probably a chunk of the fun. We usually book cruises pretty far in advance. We've had our 5th TA cruise booked for October 2015 since the itinerary was released. Ridiculous in many people's eyes, but that's okay.

Here is what my response is based on.....many years of first hand experience where I had everything planned to a T, but then "x" happens. We had been so fortunate for so many years (no missed connections, no missing ships, really nothing).

A few years ago, we were in Budapest and our credit union issued us new cards about two weeks before leaving. I didn't like the sound of it but I couldn't have them wait. It was already done. Long story short, out ATMs didn't work and to this day, Budapest remains a cash society. I could figure out enough to get $$ from our AMEX, but it wasn't without its challenges. I went to post office and could not convey what I was trying to do. I started to tear up....mostly out of pure frustration. A man overheard me (turned out to be a German Hungarian Embassy rep) and the kindness of that man, well, I'll just never forget. My only regret was that my husband didn't get to meet this angel. That experience touched me in a way that helped me help others in similar ways through the years. It also taught me that these bumps we experience, more often than not, are actual gifts. It all just comes with age and experience and just trying to not control (we only think we can control, but we find out we can't control anything really). I wouldn't change that ATM debokle for all the tea in China.

I'm not saying your reservation was life changing, but it is a mindset and you need to be open. Who knows, you could meet a man in the Windjammer that could change the direction of your career! The strangest most amazing things happen when our painstaking plans get changed. But you have to be open and have a willing heart....don't fight the bumps so hard is what I'm saying.

Lastly, and this speaks to how the OP was treated and what the RCI staff member said. Let's just say that perception plays a huge roll here. Our own personal experiences, our emotions/expectations, and various personality differences can greatly affect what the OP remembers about that exchange. After investigating complaints for many years, one thing is for sure. It is a given that if three people had the exact same scenario and subsequent conversation, there would be three different versions OF THE SAME EXCHANGE. It's actually amazing and I first saw this (never forgot it and it helped me later in life when I recalled it)...it was an episode of Fame (many are too young to recall TV show). One of the students fell off stage, and the event was seen by all. Each one of the students were required to tell that old man (see his face, but can't recall name). Everyone had a different story but yet no one was lying. I will never forget that. And boy did that come in handy in my chosen profession.

So someone else having the same experience might have reported the WJ comment completely different (or not even recall or think it important enough to remember) because of their own life experience. So when the other posters suggest being in a different place (not a try) and receiving a bottle of wine (when you got nothing other than being offended), perhaps their reaction to the same situation allowed the gentleman to go down a whole other avenue. He might have felt your anger and felt he needed to defend, who knows.

Things are always going to happen that we didn't want....or so we thought we didn't want. But now, when I get stuck behind someone in a line or car, I relax. I remind myself that if I forced my way through and tried to change course, I may not like the end result.

I'm still a planner. I always will be. And most things go according to plan. But when they don't, I'm reminded that I'm not driving this bus and there could be something in store for me that I couldn't have dreamed of....and it really opens your heart. It also makes you an awesome person to travel with.

I'm sure I lost 95% of the reviewers by now and the ones that are still here probably have their dukes up ready to call me Pollyanna. But that's okay.

Enjoy whatever experiences your vacation offers. And be the type of traveler that you would like to travel with. No one will ever have to walk on eggshells just hoping they don't experience any glitches because the love of their life can't figure out how to navigate these little nuisances.

:)

I agree with most of what you said. I used to plan things to a T as well. But I have learned that it's not much of a vacation. However, it doesn't change my opinion because I don't feel the need to do business with a company that will treat me poorly.

I think there was a bit of confusion. The post that you quoted was not about the OP, it was about another poster. But I still believe that offering a similar substitute would be the least they can do. I don't think they should get any OBC or other gifts. But they should assist the guests with alternatives. To expect this doesn't make me rigid and certainly I would not stand there and create a scene. As I said, if what happened to the poster (the one I quoted in my previous post) had happened to me, I would not cruise with them again. They obviously do not know how to treat their guests/customers. RCCL is not the only cruise company nor is it the only way to vacation. So I will choose other cruiselines or choose to spend my money on land vacations. Not a big deal for them, but it is a big deal for me. I don't believe I need to associate with a company who has treated me so poorly.

And I do understand that the poster or another others will post based on their personal perspective. So, there may be more to it. But my opinion is based on what was posted.

I have had issues as I mentioned with other business and, believe it or not, if they treated me with such disregard, I did not return. One example is an airline which we used to frequent many years ago. Long story short, we were stranded (as was a few others) with no help from the airline, coupled with blatant lies and misrepresentations, we decided to never do business with them. I don't think it was over-reacting. Our expectations are basic. We never ask for extra or expect anything other than getting the service we paid for.

I guess it's a great thing that my family appreciates my planning. We have had some great vacations which would never have happened without the plan and some obsessive research. And every time we hear someone complain about not having been able to get reservations for dining or their preferred accommodations, my family does thank me.

Basic expectations from those in the service industry does not make me unbending or unwilling to accept any faux pas. I have a very realistic expectation for everything I do. If I book my dining reservations months in advance and they decide that a private event is going to be held during that time, then I expect to be contacted asap with a list of possible alternatives. That's it. If they can't even do that, they don't deserve my business.

Again, I agree that things happen. But that doesn't mean they don't have an obligation to assist. It's basic customer service.

I am the type of traveller with whom I'd like to travel. I prefer to have plans. This would create a much more relaxing vacation. I don't have a day to day map of what to do and where to go. I have dining reservations and any other reservations needed to enjoy my day.

I understand your advice and even appreciate it. :) I know that over planning can create a stressful vacation. But I have vacationed enough to know that if a business mistreats it's guests, it doesn't deserve my time, effort and money. And although it may sound like an over reaction, but, yes...if I was treated as poorly as the poster I quoted, I would not cruise with them again. Sorry...there are just so many other options.

Edited by dvcdisney

I agree with most of what you said. I used to plan things to a T as well. But I have learned that it's not much of a vacation. However, it doesn't change my opinion because I don't feel the need to do business with a company that will treat me poorly.

I think there was a bit of confusion. The post that you quoted was not about the OP, it was about another poster. But I still believe that offering a similar substitute would be the least they can do. I don't think they should get any OBC or other gifts. But they should assist the guests with alternatives. To expect this doesn't make me rigid and certainly I would not stand there and create a scene. As I said, if what happened to the poster (the one I quoted in my previous post) had happened to me, I would not cruise with them again. They obviously do not know how to treat their guests/customers. RCCL is not the only cruise company nor is it the only way to vacation. So I will choose other cruiselines or choose to spend my money on land vacations. Not a big deal for them, but it is a big deal for me. I don't believe I need to associate with a company who has treated me so poorly.

And I do understand that the poster or another others will post based on their personal perspective. So, there may be more to it. But my opinion is based on what was posted.

I have had issues as I mentioned with other business and, believe it or not, if they treated me with such disregard, I did not return. One example is an airline which we used to frequent many years ago. Long story short, we were stranded (as was a few others) with no help from the airline, coupled with blatant lies and misrepresentations, we decided to never do business with them. I don't think it was over-reacting. Our expectations are basic. We never ask for extra or expect anything other than getting the service we paid for.

I guess it's a great thing that my family appreciates my planning. We have had some great vacations which would never have happened without the plan and some obsessive research. And every time we hear someone complain about not having been able to get reservations for dining or their preferred accommodations, my family does thank me.

Basic expectations from those in the service industry does not make me unbending or unwilling to accept any faux pas. I have a very realistic expectation for everything I do. If I book my dining reservations months in advance and they decide that a private event is going to be held during that time, then I expect to be contacted asap with a list of possible alternatives. That's it. If they can't even do that, they don't deserve my business.

Again, I agree that things happen. But that doesn't mean they don't have an obligation to assist. It's basic customer service.

I am the type of traveller with whom I'd like to travel. I prefer to have plans. This would create a much more relaxing vacation. I don't have a day to day map of what to do and where to go. I have dining reservations and any other reservations needed to enjoy my day.

I understand your advice and even appreciate it. :) I know that over planning can create a stressful vacation. But I have vacationed enough to know that if a business mistreats it's guests, it doesn't deserve my time, effort and money. And although it may sound like an over reaction, but, yes...if I was treated as poorly as the poster I quoted, I would not cruise with them again. Sorry...there are just so many other options.

I knew I was not responding to the OP.

:)

Here is an interesting point.... From reading this entire post, it appears RC does this frequently. If they are having MDT, they should have that marked on the schedule MONTHS in advance, then they wouldn't inconvenience anyone. I love RC but some of the issues that they have are easily solved and yet they continue.

Hum. Interesting. You, your parents, brothers/sisters, and/or children must not work in a service industry where to err is human but to really mess things up takes a computer.

I didn't want to take the topic way off topic but I thought I should respond to this. Actually, I had worked in a service industry with direct customer interaction for most of high school and into university years. We were trained to help the customer with any issues. If it was our error, we would make sure to correct it to the satisfaction of the customer. Even if the issue was the fault of the customer, it was still our responsibility to help them resolve it.

Most positions involve customer/client/guest services. The Executive team of any company will consider their customers in their decision introduce products or implement a policy etc. Their prime directive it to provide the customers with what they want and service they expect. Loyalty only comes with customers who feel they have been treated well. Otherwise, the business cannot succeed.

As I mentioned, informing the guest about a cancellation asap and assisting in alternatives is a realistic expectation. If they cannot do this basic service, they don't deserve my business. If RCCL does treat me this way, I will not cruise with them again.

I apologize to the OP for going a bit off topic, but I think it's important to explain the reason for what I said. I do not expect any OBC or gifts, just BASIC customer service...to be informed and a reasonable alternative. :)

Edited by dvcdisney

I didn't want to take the topic way off topic but I thought I should respond to this. Actually, I had worked in a service industry with direct customer interaction for most of high school and into university years. We were trained to help the customer with any issues. If it was our error, we would make sure to correct it to the satisfaction of the customer. Even if the issue was the fault of the customer, it was still our responsibility to help them resolve it.

Most positions involve customer/client/guest services. The Executive team of any company will consider their customers in their decision introduce products or implement a policy etc. Their prime directive it to provide the customers with what they want and service they expect. Loyalty only comes with customers who feel they have been treated well. Otherwise, the business cannot succeed.

As I mentioned, informing the guest about a cancellation asap and assisting in alternatives is a realistic expectation. If they cannot do this basic service, they don't deserve my business. If RCCL does treat me this way, I will not cruise with them again.

I apologize to the OP for going a bit off topic, but I think it's important to explain the reason for what I said. I do not expect any OBC or gifts, just BASIC customer service...to be informed and a reasonable alternative. :)

I get customer service. I've been a public servant for 25+ years.

My response was from more of a compassionate position.

It's an interesting experiment to take the same position the OP found himself in and switch out the staff with a son or daughter, or even a mother or father. It's actually quite comical because the tables turn so fast--especially from the "mama bears." It's natural, but it helps to diffuse the reactions by simply imagining that the person you are so angry with was replaced by your dad. Maybe there is a back story that you aren't privy too. If you found out this rep just lost his contract (job) 15 minutes earlier and will likely lose his house back home....would you feel more compassionate? I would also say 95% of our gripes are 1st world problems (mine included).

My husband used to have pretty bad road rage. It was like this sweet gentle man turned into some awful brut behind the wheel. I told him to imagine that person that is driving 15 mph in front of him could be my mother and I told him to please be helpful to my mom....she's older and gets pretty scared. I can't even tell you what a difference it made.

If you are still holding your grounds about businesses making mistakes and taking your business elsewhere--then you've missed the entire point.

What did I learn from these posts? Not to make dinner reservations on cruise ships too early because there is obviously a flaw in their system. And given the logistics of the restaurants and headquarters where all the suits are making the decisions, I would image the staff get so irritated as well because they are on the front line--not the suits.

Enjoy your cruise--whatever cruise line you prefer.

I get customer service. I've been a public servant for 25+ years.

My response was from more of a compassionate position.

It's an interesting experiment to take the same position the OP found himself in and switch out the staff with a son or daughter, or even a mother or father. It's actually quite comical because the tables turn so fast--especially from the "mama bears." It's natural, but it helps to diffuse the reactions by simply imagining that the person you are so angry with was replaced by your dad. Maybe there is a back story that you aren't privy too. If you found out this rep just lost his contract (job) 15 minutes earlier and will likely lose his house back home....would you feel more compassionate? I would also say 95% of our gripes are 1st world problems (mine included).

My husband used to have pretty bad road rage. It was like this sweet gentle man turned into some awful brut behind the wheel. I told him to imagine that person that is driving 15 mph in front of him could be my mother and I told him to please be helpful to my mom....she's older and gets pretty scared. I can't even tell you what a difference it made.

If you are still holding your grounds about businesses making mistakes and taking your business elsewhere--then you've missed the entire point.

What did I learn from these posts? Not to make dinner reservations on cruise ships too early because there is obviously a flaw in their system. And given the logistics of the restaurants and headquarters where all the suits are making the decisions, I would image the staff get so irritated as well because they are on the front line--not the suits.

Enjoy your cruise--whatever cruise line you prefer.

I understand your POV. However, I don't agree. I know that everyone has bad days. But as someone in the front line, it is their responsibility to help the guest. I'm sure everyone has personal issues that they have to deal with but it is absolutely not expecting too much for them to assist the guest. "I'm sorry that we had to cancel your reservation, but what about a reservation at....". That's not difficult to say. They should be trained to do that.

You mention that they could be dealing with some personal stress that would cause them to act so poorly. What about the guest, they may be looking forward to this for a reason - perhaps they survived a tragedy and this was their special time - RCCL has taken something that they have been looking forward to and cancelled it without any other options. Do you not have any compassion for them? They didn't do anything wrong - should they be treated with such disregard?

Just to reiterate - it's not about businesses making mistakes. Again, errors happen all the time. It's how they handle it that makes the difference.

We may very well be missing each other's point.

And thank you, I'm sure I'll enjoy my cruise.

Edited by dvcdisney