Buyer beware in Italy

I

It can be very serious for those innocent visitors.

I must question the "innocent" part. Does anyone REALLY think they can buy a Prada purse for 33.00 Euro ? It's no different anywhere in the world, They know full well they are buying either counterfeit or stolen goods. Good for the Italian officials protecting the rights of the trademark holders.

If you buy from any of the street vendors sellling bags with names like Prada, Louis Vuitton, Gucci etc. you must know that they will be "copies" and therefore you are at risk. The price alone, plus being sold out in the street tells you immediately that you are buying at your own risk.

Jennie

If you buy from any of the street vendors sellling bags with names like Prada, Louis Vuitton, Gucci etc. you must know that they will be "copies" and therefore you are at risk. The price alone, plus being sold out in the street tells you immediately that you are buying at your own risk.

I doubt those people care that the bags are counterfeits. If they "look" real, that might be all they care about. Let's face it, if you are walking around at home with a Prada "knock off," but it looks like the genuine thing, people will still think it's a Prada, right?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I've traveled to Italy many times. I've seen the street vendors with their knockoff merchandise take off when they see the Carabiniere coming, only to reappear a few minutes later when they're gone.

Some vendors can be quite aggressive. While eating lunch in Pisa a man came to our table and practically layed down a display of knockoff watches right on top of my plate. I dispatched him quickly.

I'm told most of these people are coming up from Northern Africa and from very poor countries. A sale of a $25.00 "Rolex" may be thier wages for a week.

Archived