Port of Miami Car Rental help

MandyMommyof2

We are booked on the Getaway in July. I am trying to get our car rentals booked. I prefer to rent with Alamo. I need some help with finding the exact location of the Alamo lot, which I think is under a management company Vanguard rentals. I will be picking up the car at FLL and returning to lot at the Port of Miami or location close by. Any help is appreciated so much! I say Alamo is my preferred rental but I am open to suggestions :)

Alamo, National, Enterprise and Thrifty all have free shuttle between POM and MIA RCC.

Nowadays we always use Alamo too, returning the car at airport and taking shuttle to the port is easy peasy and facilities at the airport are larger and better than at downtown location of f.ex. Hertz or Avis.

Edited by Demonyte

Thanks Sueleekey and Demonyte :) I appreciate your replies so much! Demonyte does the shuttle run pretty regularly. I suppose they are all out there the morning the ship returns aren't they?

Yep, Alamo/National have shared shuttles that run pretty continuously, transferring disembarking passengers from the port and embarking passengers to the port. We haven't usually had to wait too long at either end, sometimes a bit longer in the port because of the congestion.

Edited by Demonyte

We are flying into and out of FLL also!! We are planning on staying one night prior to our cruise. It has came out cheaper for us to rent a large SUV or mini van for the 6 of us and keep it at 24 hours then return at MIA airport and get the shuttle to the port. It was also cheaper to rent a car on the departing day to drive back up to FLL for our flight home. I looked in different types of taxi's, shuttles, etc. and they still all were more. Also we thought we may want to do a little exploring Fort Lauderdale before we board the ship. We have sailed with Disney in the past and thought we would try something different this time.

Yep, Alamo/National have shared shuttles that run pretty continuously, transferring disembarking passengers from the port and embarking passengers to the port. We haven't usually had to wait too long at either end, sometimes a bit longer in the port because of the congestion.

Going with Alamo next month. From the port to the airport, do you need to tell them ahead of time or just show the driver a copy of your reservation?

Finally do you have any recommendation ?

I was about to do a reservation for a thrifty car rental with shuttle and a return to fort-Lauderdale airport the day after but old reviews seems pretty bad.

Does anyone here got any issues with them, or any car rental company for a rent from the port to FLL airport ?

thank you !

Hi Danmp,

I found that very near to the port are the following offices. Dollar, Hertz, Vanguard Car rental (which is Alamo and National) and Amigos. Someone posted that there are no car rental agencies located "at" the port. So I am not 100% on this. What we plan on doing is driving down from FLL, returning the rental car to Alamo at MIA and catching the shuttle to the port. I emailed the customer service at Alamo and she assured me that the shuttles run pretty often and are consistent. I hope this helps you :) Also if you are a Costco member, check out their rental car prices. I have found they are the best.

Going with Alamo next month. From the port to the airport, do you need to tell them ahead of time or just show the driver a copy of your reservation?

They will ask to see a copy of your reservation - this prevents their shuttle from being used by non-renters.