question on latest smoking policy

tbmrt

I'm just saying that if you are sitting out on your balcony, you should have no expectation of privacy, but if you are inside your stateroom with the curtains open, you should have some expectation of privacy. You shouldn't have some jerk (which I did) stick his head around the balcony partition and gaze directly into the stateroom. I've never had this done to me or caught someone doing this to me except on my last TA.

Isn't it also a rule that you aren't suppose to leave your balcony door open so it doesn't mess up the air conditioning in your room AND neighbors rooms? In addition, if some idiot were to throw a cigarette butt overboard it could blow into you room if the balcony door is left open. How would you like it if someone photographed or even video recorded you keeping your balcony door open and turned you in to the front desk?

While there are signs on many balcony doors asking one to keep them closed, there is not explicit language in the cruise contract about such. Nor is there a defined penalty about such behavior. There certainly is both the explicit language and defined penalties about violation of the smoking policy.

One might consider the door a violation of the general failure to follow crew instructions, but I would guess that if you did take such a picture and went to the front desk, they would thank you, after they stopped laughing.

I'm just saying that if you are sitting out on your balcony, you should have no expectation of privacy, but if you are inside your stateroom with the curtains open, you should have some expectation of privacy. You shouldn't have some jerk (which I did) stick his head around the balcony partition and gaze directly into the stateroom. I've never had this done to me or caught someone doing this to me except on my last TA.

That would tick me off to.

Vs what i see as the casual side to side glance that DINAS described...

Having sailed on an S-Class Ship right "at the point" of The Hump, I can say that a large percentage of many balconies can be seen when looking fore & aft along the curvy sides of the ships (without rubber necking or any other sort of inappropriate gymnastics)

And the S-Class Aft Balconies... Well they offer even less privacy, especially from above

Here is a photo I found from The Equinox... Not my photo (so i am guessing someone took it at Sailaway from the Oceanview Backdeck)... Notice the balcony tables in plain sight on many levels

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=ta5uol&s=6#.VIzpEfF5mSM

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB