US citizen traveling with green card holder

Enigami

Hi everyone,

Since the search engine only turned out old topics, I'd like to make sure nothing has changed since then.

We are a US citizen and a non US citizen (green card holder with MD state DL and Dutch passport -- all current) traveling together aboard the Carnival Valor from San Juan in February 2015.

- Can we embark together?

- Self assist debarkation is not an option, correct?

- It's my understanding non US citizens disembark from a separate deck. Can we both disembark from the non US citizens deck?

- Just out of curiousity: why do cruise lines distinguish between citizens and green card holders when airports don't?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Since the search engine only turned out old topics, I'd like to make sure nothing has changed since then.

We are a US citizen and a non US citizen (green card holder with MD state DL and Dutch passport -- all current) traveling together aboard the Carnival Valor from San Juan in February 2015.

- Can we embark together?

- Self assist debarkation is not an option, correct?

- It's my understanding non US citizens disembark from a separate deck. Can we both disembark from the non US citizens deck?

- Just out of curiousity: why do cruise lines distinguish between citizens and green card holders when airports don't?

Thanks!

I did this in San Juan on the Splendor last month, I US her green card, we debarked together on the non US group, I don't know why you can't do the self assist, you just have to wait until they call for the non US to disembark.

I am a green card holder and my husband is a US citizen. The process has really changed over the years and now I do everything along side my husband the only one constant has been when disembarking, he has to go with me thru the immigration line for non-US citizens when returning to the states after the cruise, which is usually much quicker. The cruise ships are no longer interested in my passport they only want to see the green card. But still not self assist debarkation

Edited by dbrucern

• 3 weeks later...

- can we embark together?

- self assist debarkation is not an option, correct?

- it's my understanding non us citizens disembark from a separate deck. Can we both disembark from the non us citizens deck?

- just out of curiousity: Why do cruise lines distinguish between citizens and green card holders when airports don't?

Thanks!

yes

I have done it

no same deck same messy lines, but we get to go through non USA customs together and that lines always tiny ;)

no idea i had issues saying i needed an re-entry visa this cruise and since i dont have an out of the usa address i couldnt get one, took some arguing with carnival who had to call us imegration to sort it out.

Edited by mips