Vegetarian menu

The complimentary venues Silk, Chic, the Grande and Coastal Kitchen all feature vegetarian options on the normal menu, along with the text "vegetarian options are available, ask your waiter"

The American Icon menu was not appealing to me and I cancelled my reservations there and saw no vegetarian option on the regular menu nor did they have the text on the copy I took a photo of. Someone else will have to update for this venue.

While Devinly Decadence was a fantastic specialty option with many vegetarian options, I would think that Jamie's and Wonderland could easily accommodate.

The lack of vegetarian options was appalling. Do not believe the menu saying options we're available. They weren't. Wunderland was the absolute worse. They only had one small vegi appetizer. They suggested to us that we go to a different restaurant after we were seated. They said that they could not give us any other options. Jamie's was great. Divinly worked fine. Otherwise major fail.

The lack of vegetarian options was appalling. Do not believe the menu saying options we're available. They weren't. Wunderland was the absolute worse. They only had one small vegi appetizer. They suggested to us that we go to a different restaurant after we were seated. They said that they could not give us any other options. Jamie's was great. Divinly worked fine. Otherwise major fail.

The menus show the following. Are these in fact vegetarian choices? Are they actually not available?

Grande - EGGPLANT NAPOLEON- Ratatouille, Spinach, Goat Cheese Fondue, Tomato Coulis

Silk - SOY-GLAZED GRILLED TOFU- Stir-fry Asian vegetables, garlic oyster sauce

Chic - SLOW COOKED VEGETABLE CASSOULET - Cannellini beans, tomatoes, herb breadcrumbs

American Icon - SOUTHWESTERN FETTUCCINI - Grilled corn kernels, chili beans, roasted peppers and poblano cream sauce

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/

While the value of $45 for vegetarian at Wonderland could be questioned, they do have 4 vegetarian items on the Sun menu and one on the Fire menu.

I am surprised they did not have another vegetarian option as stated on the menu. As they do need a main course replacement on the Earth Menu.

I found the Baby Vegetables in the garden and Slow cooked baby beets to be wonderful dishes.

Radiant vegetables playfully reinvented.

BABY VEGETABLES IN THE GARDEN | Soil & pebbles

LIQUID MANZANILLA OLIVE | Herb oil

CHILLED SWEET PEA SOUP | Rosemary espuma & white bacon powder

SLOW COOKED BABY BEETS | Sriracha yogurt

CRISPY TEMPURA KIM CHEE LEAVES | Marinated melon

Silk - SOY-GLAZED GRILLED TOFU- Stir-fry Asian vegetables, garlic oyster sauce

Oyster sauce is not veggie as it´s made out of oysters... There is a veggie oyster sauce made out of mushrooms. Anyway neither the waiter nor the maitre ´d where able to confirm that this dish is really veggie. They weren´t able to come up with anything else although it´s indicated on the bottom of the menu that you should ask your waiter.

We talked to Andy (VP F&B) and he promised to work on that. I also miss the signage they used to have on the "old" (new) menus introduced last year. No signs for veggie, lactose free, gluten free or Vitality anymore. That is a step backwards...

steamboats

Oyster sauce is not veggie as it´s made out of oysters... There is a veggie oyster sauce made out of mushrooms. Anyway neither the waiter nor the maitre ´d where able to confirm that this dish is really veggie. They weren´t able to come up with anything else although it´s indicated on the bottom of the menu that you should ask your waiter.

We talked to Andy (VP F&B) and he promised to work on that. I also miss the signage they used to have on the "old" (new) menus introduced last year. No signs for veggie, lactose free, gluten free or Vitality anymore. That is a step backwards...

steamboats

Thanks Cruiser4me for starting this thread and steamboats for talking to Andy!

I'll be on a January cruise and was wondering about this!

I sometimes have found better veggie food in the WJ than the restaurants! Usually, the ships have good Indian options which I love but not hearing much about it so far. Luckily, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and hoping they are offering muesli which I love and have found in the recent past!!

Usually, the ships have good Indian options which I love but not hearing much about it so far. Luckily, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and hoping they are offering muesli which I love and have found in the recent past!!

Indian and Asian options are offered from the area of the Rotisserie around the corner of the buffet in the far section port side just as you head back toward the aft seating area at lunch and dinner daily.

While Quantum did not yet have proper Bircher Muesli, they did have a muesli available with dry fruit and nut accompaniments in the second section of the windjammer on each side.

They did not have Muesli on the American Icon breakfast menu, which I felt was poor when I was onboard. Coastal Kitchen served the same type from the WJ, but the presentation was good with shaved fruit decoratively placed on top.

ry%3D400

The menus definitely led you to believe that there would be vegetarian options upon request. It's very disappointing to hear that they were lacking since we are traveling with 2 vegetarians on our February cruise.

I'm going to send a note to the special requests department to see what meat-free options there might be available to us.

MADflyer,

we did have a good Bircher Müsli on the Southampton pre inaugural. It was at the first row near the bakery. There were two bowls each and I think they had two different kinds.

steamboats

Thank you again, Steamboats AND Madflyer on this info!! Your pic is lovely!

MADflyer,

we did have a good Bircher Müsli on the Southampton pre inaugural. It was at the first row near the bakery. There were two bowls each and I think they had two different kinds.

steamboats

Well, having lived the past 5 years in Switzerland, that was not Bircher Muesli, but it was muesli, none the less. This is something that varies widely by ship and as I was on both Legend and Oasis just prior to Quantum I found this was a poor variation. Even my photo above from the Coastal Kitchen is muesli, but not Bircher Muesli as you find in the dining room on some RCI ships.

That said, I sure did not go hungry on Quantum and the food was quite 'ok'

MADflyer,

It might not be a real Swiss Bircher Müsli. But I thought it was much better than on the Oasis TA (east). The one in the Solarium was way too sweet for me. The one in the MDR was less sweet (but still too sweet for me). The one on the Quantum was o.k. regarding the sweetness.

I´m preparing my own Müsli daily using 5 grain flakes mixed with milk and skim yoguhrt (plus raisins), 6 grain full grain (grated and soaked with water overnight). In the morning I add whole nuts and dates (grate it) and then a banana and an apple (grate it). Then I add the flake/yoghurt/milk mix. No sugar added (just the dates and raisins) and no heavy cream added.

steamboats

MADflyer,

It might not be a real Swiss Bircher Müsli. But I thought it was much better than on the Oasis TA (east). The one in the Solarium was way too sweet for me. The one in the MDR was less sweet (but still too sweet for me). The one on the Quantum was o.k. regarding the sweetness.

I´m preparing my own Müsli daily using 5 grain flakes mixed with milk and skim yoguhrt (plus raisins), 6 grain full grain (grated and soaked with water overnight). In the morning I add whole nuts and dates (grate it) and then a banana and an apple (grate it). Then I add the flake/yoghurt/milk mix. No sugar added (just the dates and raisins) and no heavy cream added.

steamboats

I would love to come to your home for breakfast!!

I agree the ships muesli is usually too sweet and I usually have to add lots of skim milk to make it less so. I would love to have a real Bircher muesli but beggers can't be choosers! I hear that HAL has it on their ships but can't go on a ship just for their muesli...haha!!

MADflyer,

It might not be a real Swiss Bircher Müsli. But I thought it was much better than on the Oasis TA (east). The one in the Solarium was way too sweet

steamboats

It is so funny how much things can vary from sailing to sailing as the Bircher Muesli on the Oasis westbound TA and on the Oasis last September in the MDR was the best I have found on RCI.

The one in the Solarium has never been to my liking.

I admire your hard work at home, but as I am always on the road I have to rely on hotel chefs for the most part.

All this talk has me really looking forward to landing at Zurich airport next week for a visit to the Swiss arrivals lounge where the chef does an excellent variation of proper Bircher muesli.

• 3 weeks later...
While the value of $45 for vegetarian at Wonderland could be questioned, they do have 4 vegetarian items on the Sun menu and one on the Fire menu.

I am surprised they did not have another vegetarian option as stated on the menu. As they do need a main course replacement on the Earth Menu.

I found the Baby Vegetables in the garden and Slow cooked baby beets to be wonderful dishes.

Radiant vegetables playfully reinvented.

BABY VEGETABLES IN THE GARDEN | Soil & pebbles

LIQUID MANZANILLA OLIVE | Herb oil

CHILLED SWEET PEA SOUP | Rosemary espuma & white bacon powder

SLOW COOKED BABY BEETS | Sriracha yogurt

CRISPY TEMPURA KIM CHEE LEAVES | Marinated melon

We were told that the vegetables in the garden were absolutely not vegetarian given other ingredients in the soil.. And not sure how you could state that bacon power is vegetarian? Bit was a true disaster of a meal.

We were told that the vegetables in the garden were absolutely not vegetarian given other ingredients in the soil.. And not sure how you could state that bacon power is vegetarian? Bit was a true disaster of a meal.

Well, I guess they just need the alternate menu that they are 'supposed' to have at each venue if this is going to work for vegetarians.

As I originally stated, I would not see the value of booking Wonderland as a vegetarian. Why pay $45 for a meal to get an alternative menu that would be offered without cost elsewhere?

We were on the Hoilday Christmas cruise on the Quantum. American Icon had a supplemental menu that in fact included vegetarian options. I personally had a very nice stirfry from there.

Silk, Jaime's both had vegetarian options. If you spoke to your waiter they were very helpful to accommodate your request. Even if there was nothing printed on the menu.