Dress Codes

OzMike

We will be travelling on HAL's Statendam from L.A. to Auckland next year and was wondering how strict the dress codes are likely to be.

My problem is that flying from Australia to the US the baggage allowance is only 20 kilograms per checked bag - by the time you add the weight of the suitcase, a couple of pairs of shoes and a suit there isn't much room for anything else. I'd really like to be able to dispense with the suit and just carry slacks and jackets (at least it'd give me some versatility with my wardrobe).

I've read here that the dress codes aren't strictly enforced and am hoping that on a 24 day cruise there'd be some flexibility in this matter. I'm not a jeans and tee shirt type but I don't really want to lug a suit half way around the world either (we'll be touring the west coast prior to the cruise).

Any advice re this and any contact from any others planning to take this trip would be appreciated.

:confused:

Formal nights you can wear a sport jacket or blazer and tie if you don't want to carry a suit or you can rent a tux from the service that will have it on board and waiting for you. My hubby wanted to do that but they didn't have his size so we bought a tux instead for this cruise because of the number of formal nights.

On our shorter cruises he wore his sports coats and blazers with tie when he didn't want to pack his suits.

You'll find longer cruises are much more formal than 7-day affairs. Rent the tux - no need to pack anything (well, shoes and/or studs if you want) else.

But check that baggage aloowance again to be sure:

Qantas allows 32 kg per bag and 2 bags per person for flights to the US. (http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/baggageChecked)

Although it is 20 kg for other destinations.

Actually, we're flying with Hawaiian Airlines which only allows 2 50lb (just over 20kg) bags each but we have to get to Sydney first which will entail a Qantas Dash 8 flight and that takes us back to the problem of the one 20kg bag.

Thanks anyway.:)

Hear we go again!:eek: This question comes up about every 2 weeks and I have not responded to it. But I will put in my 2 cents worth at this time. Wear whatever you want! The length of the cruise doesnt matter. There are some people that want to dress up, and I dont have a problem with that. Personally I worked for 37 years in a suit and the only time I am going to have one on again is when I am in the box, and then I am not sure about that!:eek: As you can see from my signature I have been on a number of long cruise's and have my longest coming up in Oct (62 days). I have not taken a suit in a long time. I now take Sport Jackets which I wear on informal and formal nights and slacks. I do take along a shirt and tie to wear on formal nights. You are correct that dress codes are suggestions and not mandatory. I will comply with the spirit of formal night by wearing a shirt and tie. I was on the Ryndam going around South America a few years ago when a guy came into the dinning room on formal night in dungarees and a sweat shirt. I did feel that was out of line, but that was back before the lido was open for dinner. So now I will sit back and watch the response's:rolleyes:

We flew a Dash 8 between Stuttgart and Munich. I promised myself that never again, not for any reason, not to go anywhere on earth would I board one of those things again. I feel your pain.

Okay, I just have to ask, what in the world is the big difference between wearing a suit and wearing a sports jacket and slacks??? :confused:

I see the question – “can I wear a sports jacket instead of a suit” all the time. I know that technically, a suit is a matched jacket and pants and a sports jacket can be any material. But either way, we are talking about wearing or packing a jacket and pants. If you wear a sports jacket and slacks that are the same color (such as Navy blue) would anyone know, or care, that it’s not a suit? :confused:

Now the OP does not want to bring a suit because of weight restrictions on luggage but he is planning on bringing a sports jacket. Do suit jackets really weigh that much more than sports jackets?? Couldn't he just bring the suit and skip the sports jacket?

I’m sorry I just don’t get it. Can someone please explain?? :)

Now the OP does not want to bring a suit because of weight restrictions on luggage but he is planning on bringing a sports jacket. Do suit jackets really weigh that much more than sports jackets?? Couldn't he just bring the suit and skip the sports jacket?

My GUESS would be because a sports coat can be worn on "Informal Nights" as well.

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

It really is complicated these days - just today in our morning paper it's announced that our National airline will allow only 50lbs of baggage per person - packed, if you choose, in 2 bags - not practical - 2 bags surely would weight more than one bag! Excesss baggage charges start at around $40.00 and it's +++++after that.

Carry-on is limited not only to size (must fit under seat) but also to weight - the way I see it, it's a cash grab no matter how you look at it! No sweat for business travelers but for cruisers - well, we'll have to improvise.

My DH usually traveled casual but packed,shorts, dockers, slacks, blazer, sport jacket, suit and tux with shirts, shoes and ties to match.I scaled back to what has become (almost) a uniform - long black skirt, belts, tops, little black dress, shorts etc. etc. etc. and no more than 3 pairs of shoes.

Has any fashion guru come up with answers to our concerns? Maybe it's at a point where cruisers will be in swimsuits and cover ups from morning 'til night--------------bring a nightie - bathrobes are supplied--------------- :p

Believe you might be happier wearing either a TUX or dark Suit on Formal Nights...The longer cruises seem to be dressier than the shorter ones..Why not use the suit jacket, with a couple of different pairs of of slacks for informal nights..This way one jacket..Or,as someone else pointed out, you could rent a TUX..Believe the Rental fees are reasonable & you could check the rental costs with HAL... All you have to do is give the company your exact measurements & ready & in your cabin when you board...

You would be very surprised how much you can pack in a bag & still have it not weigh more than 20 KG...Aren't you permitted 2 bags @ 20KG per person..I'm not a light packer by any means (usually take 7 pr of shoes)..On our South America cruise last year my DH & I only packed 2 large (26 & 29 in) suitcases, one large hanging suitcase for the both of us plus our small carry-ons..My DH took a TUX, & Sports Jacket.We also packed heavy jackets, gloves & sweatshirts, as we were going around the horn..We still had more than we really needed..They have great laundry service on HAL ships ($15.00 for as much as you can stuff into a bag) The Statendam also has a self-service laundry for psgrs.use..

Happy Planning & hope you enjoy your cruise:)

You can 'mix and match' a sports coat with various slacks - a suit jacket looks like a suit jacket no matter what you wear it with and just looks mismatched.

And as for the baggage weight - Qantas Dash 8 services allow only one 20kg bag per person. And ther'es no first class service to allow a bigger allowance.

If I were strapped for luggage space/weight I would pack the following:

1 suit (black or dark grey or Tux)

an extra pair of dress slacks,

2 dress shirts,

3 ties

2 pair of casual slacks

1 pair of shorts

3 polo shirts

1 silk dressy casual shirt

underwear

walking shoes

casual shoes

bathroom kit (shaving stuff, etc)

I would wear in transit a pair of slacks (probably dockers, but might be dressy), a colored dress shirt and a blazer (black or navy), dress shoes.

Once aboard I would buy a few ship-branded t-shirts and a polo shirt or two to fill out my wardrobe.

A True story from a 21 day cruise on the Zaandam in 2004

A gentleman came to formal night dinner dressed in slacks and a button-down sports shirt -- no jacket, no tie. Jerry, the Matre’ D, came over while their drink orders were being taken, and I could hear him say in a quiet yet respectful tone, “Sir, tonight is formal night.”

“Yes?” the man replied.

“I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to return to your cabin and retrieve a jacket and tie.”

“But the dress code says that’s suggested.”

“No, sir. What’s suggested is a tuxedo; what is required is a jacket and tie.”

“Required?”

“Correct, sir.”

“What if I refuse?”

“Then, sir, you will not be served in the Rotterdam Dining Room.”

“You’re kidding me.”

“No, sir, I'm not kidding you.” The Matre’ D then stood up straight and walked away, apparently stopping to inform the area supervisor of the situation.

After a few minutes, the fellow got up and left. Less than 10 minutes later he showed up in slacks, a sports jacket, white shirt and tie. Nothing else was said, either by the Matre’ D nor by his table companions, but I’m sure the fellow was more than just a little bit embarrassed. I was reminded of our discussions on this board a few months back ... it's that kind of embarrassment that I'd rather certain people not have to experience. This fellow's not being dressed in formal garb didn't both me at all -- I couldn't even see him, given that was was seated behind me -- but he was made to be embarrassed thanks to his own unwillingness to conform to a very simple, and clearly stated, dress code.

And ... in case anyone still wants to claim that the code is just a suggestion, here's a scan of the Zaandam's Daily Program for that Formal Night:

formaldress1.jpg

My interpretation is that the sports jacket can be worn with different pants for a different look on different evenings, etc.

Okay' date=' I just have to ask, what in the world is the big difference between wearing a suit and wearing a sports jacket and slacks??? :confused: [/color']

I see the question – “can I wear a sports jacket instead of a suit” all the time. I know that technically, a suit is a matched jacket and pants and a sports jacket can be any material. But either way, we are talking about wearing or packing a jacket and pants. If you wear a sports jacket and slacks that are the same color (such as Navy blue) would anyone know, or care, that it’s not a suit? :confused:

I’m sorry I just don’t get it. Can someone please explain?? :)

You can 'mix and match' a sports coat with various slacks - a suit jacket looks like a suit jacket no matter what you wear it with and just looks mismatched.

I totally agree. Wearing a suit jacket with different colored pants doesn't look good. One can always tell that it is a suit jacket, somehow!!

Thank you for the clarification. Who knew men's fashion could be so complicated? :)

I think if you wear a sports jacket and slacks that match in color and look good together for formal night you will be fine. If you don't have a combo that looks "suit like" together then I think the Tux rental is a great idea.

Either way, as long as you are clean, well groomed and look like you made an effort to look nice it's all good.:D

Sports jackets are normally more casual and a softer fabric than suit material. They are meant to be worn with a variety of dress or casual slack fabric and not to 'match', but to complement the 2 different fabrics of jacket and slacks. EX.- Navy blazer with khaki slacks, multi-colored tweed jacket with solid color slacks of one color in the tweed, herringbone jacket with solid pants in the same or complementary color.

Suit material is dressier and the jacket is meant to be worn with matching trousers of the identical fabric. That's why anywhere except on a cruise ship (which is trying to make too many people happy and diluting any meaning of the word 'formal') only a tux or dark suit are considered dressy enough for a 'formal' evening and a sport jacket, even worn with a tie, is what its name says- a sporty more casual outfit.

It doesn't have to match in color or look suit-like. My husband wore a dark blazer with lighter colored slacks and a shirt and tie one formal night (on a cruise where he didn't bring his suit) and a sports coat with slacks, shirt and tie on the other formal night.

Thank you for the clarification. Who knew men's fashion could be so complicated? :)

I think if you wear a sports jacket and slacks that match in color and look good together for formal night you will be fine. If you don't have a combo that looks "suit like" together then I think the Tux rental is a great idea.

Either way' date=' as long as you are clean, well groomed and look like you made an effort to look nice it's all good.:D[/quote']

Jackets and ties are required. Tuxedos are only suggested. IMHO, you are not out of place with either a suit, sports jacket or blazer with shirt and tie on formal nights, at least not from what I've seen on the 3 HAL cruises I've been on.

Sports jackets are normally more casual and a softer fabric than suit material. They are meant to be worn with a variety of dress or casual slack fabric and not to 'match', but to complement the 2 different fabrics of jacket and slacks. EX.- Navy blazer with khaki slacks, multi-colored tweed jacket with solid color slacks of one color in the tweed, herringbone jacket with solid pants in the same or complementary color.

Suit material is dressier and the jacket is meant to be worn with matching trousers of the identical fabric. That's why anywhere except on a cruise ship (which is trying to make too many people happy and diluting any meaning of the word 'formal') only a tux or dark suit are considered dressy enough for a 'formal' evening and a sport jacket, even worn with a tie, is what its name says- a sporty more casual outfit.

Jackets and ties are required. Tuxedos are only suggested. IMHO, you are not out of place with either a suit, sports jacket or blazer with shirt and tie on formal nights, at least not from what I've seen on the 3 HAL cruises I've been on.

I didn't say you would be out of place on a cruise ship on formal night with a suit or sport jacket/blazer w/ shirt and tie. You would be fine because that is what is required. I said anywhere except on a cruiseship only a suit or tux are formal.

A 'formal' night anywhere else except a cruise ship is at the very least dark suit or tux. A sport jacket is not considered formalwear anywhere except on some cruiselines. If you are going to a wedding and the invitation says 'formal' they are not meaning a navy blazer and khakis.

Archived