EU VAT charges

grandpa99

I'm on a B&B cruise from Venice in May and someone told me that I would be charged the Italian VAT for the Greek Islands week for all on-board purchases but because we go to Turkey (non-EU) the other Week that on-board purchases are not subject to VAT.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

John

I'm not sure how it works on NCL in Europe, but when we were on the Noordam last summer from Barcelona, we were charged VAT on all items while in Barcelona only. Once we left Barcelona, there was no VAT charged.

We're doing a cruise on NCL Spirit in January from Barcelona to Morocco and the Canary islands--I hope we're not charged VAT for onboard purchases the whole cruise! :D

Yes. See the following thread, for example:

The effects of Jade missing out the stop in Tunis

We're doing a cruise on NCL Spirit in January from Barcelona to Morocco and the Canary islands--I hope we're not charged VAT for onboard purchases the whole cruise! :D
The Canary Islands are not in the EU VAT area, and Morocco is not in the EU at all. You have nothing to worry about.

Morocco is not in EU and Canary Islands are not within EU tax area - so no, you will be not.

we did same back to back cruise this year

the week including Turkey VAT was not payable as outside EU but the week of Greek island it was

I only noticed it affected purchases from on board shops

we had pre purchased beverage package and no extra VAT but not sure if buying individual bar drinks it would have been payable

I asked the question because if one of the two cruises does not charge VAT while at sea that is when I will buy the souvenirs for the family.

yes buy on the Turkey leg-they definitely count as 2 separate cruises but have the advantage you can stay on the ship changeover day if you want to-no need to disembark unless you want to sightsee in Venice

yes buy on the Turkey leg-they definitely count as 2 separate cruises but have the advantage you can stay on the ship changeover day if you want to-no need to disembark unless you want to sightsee in Venice

I think that it is not fair and should not work like this because I purchased a 21 days cruise not 2 different cruises....

But I guess i have no choice so it is good to know ! I plan to buy enough wine with the viva vino package on the first leg (Turkey) of my cruise so i will not need to buy anymore on the second leg (EU) of the cruise.

IIRC there is no VAT charged on food and beverages on cruises out of Italian ports (unlike cruises out of Spanish ports e.g Barcelona).

That was the case on the Jade cruise I did recently (22 Nov-3rd Dec) VAT was charged on gift shop (decided to get it on Spirit sailing in Jan) and photos. I don't do Spa so cannot say on that one.

I'm on a B&B cruise from Venice in May and someone told me that I would be charged the Italian VAT for the Greek Islands week for all on-board purchases but because we go to Turkey (non-EU) the other Week that on-board purchases are not subject to VAT.

John

W just returned from a 21 day B2B in the Mediterranean on NCL Jade from Civitavecchia and what you are saying is correct. If one of your segment is doing EU only countries, you will be charge VAT (if I remember correctly, it is 21%) on your on-board purchases. For the segment that includes Turkey (non-EU) there is no VAT. It is best to make your on-board purchases during this "non-EU" segment. If the "non-EU" is the second segment of your cruise, you also have the possibility to lay-away your items that you are considering for purchase during the EU segment and pay for them during the second segment (non-EU).