Real Sawmp Tour

rhinomike

We have done airboat rides and swamp tours before. I am looking for a real swamp tour. Something private for my family of 6. Price is not an issue. I don't want to go out on a lake or do some scripted tour. I want to find a real swamp tour. Maybe a local type guy that will take us out. Any suggestions. Thank you.

The tour guides are licensed, and their boats are inspected by the Coast Guard. You might find some local who would take you out into the swamps in his private boat, but that would be a crapshoot, and maybe not safe.

You might try looking at tours that leave from places outside of New Orleans. I know that there are some based in Des Allemands, about 40 minutes from the city. They are locals, and completely legit.

The tour guides are licensed, and their boats are inspected by the Coast Guard. You might find some local who would take you out into the swamps in his private boat, but that would be a crapshoot, and maybe not safe.

You might try looking at tours that leave from places outside of New Orleans. I know that there are some based in Des Allemands, about 40 minutes from the city. They are locals, and completely legit.

Great. Thank you. I will try looking in Des Allemands.

I just don't want the regular "tourist" tours that are staged and drive around a lake.

It isn't really Cajun country - that is farther to the west.

It is on Bayou Des Allemands, originally settled by the Germans, as the name implies.

Des Allemands calls itself "The Catfish Capitol Of The World." There is a restaurant there called Spahr's. They serve wild-caught catfish, and lots of other delights. Certainly worth a stop, if you are in the area.

It isn't really Cajun country - that is farther to the west.

It is on Bayou Des Allemands, originally settled by the Germans, as the name implies.

Des Allemands calls itself "The Catfish Capitol Of The World." There is a restaurant there called Spahr's. They serve wild-caught catfish, and lots of other delights. Certainly worth a stop, if you are in the area.

Great. Thank you so much. I really appreciate all of the info.

I would tell you to look up Cajun Encouters on the web. They have small boat tours and I am sure you can arrange for a tour four your group of six. They take you to Slidel to Honey Island Swamp and the small boats are able to go in to the more confined areas and you get a pretty good view of what it is like to be in the swamp. The best part is when you get to see the gators!!!! I had my GoPro Hero 3 and our boat captain had a fun time with it....swamp piggies and even the gator wanted to take a bite--great video *BG*.....