P&O Ventura Farewell Barbados trip ?

Southendweather

I have booked the one that ends up at The Crane Hotel as I particularily wanted to see Crane Bay. Our flight is 8pm so wondered what time we are likely to be dropped at the airport. We will be doing this on January 30th 2015. Don't like to think about ti as it will mean the end of our cruise :-(

I have booked the one that ends up at The Crane Hotel as I particularily wanted to see Crane Bay. Our flight is 8pm so wondered what time we are likely to be dropped at the airport. We will be doing this on January 30th 2015. Don't like to think about ti as it will mean the end of our cruise :-(

I had a look at this tour. We join the ship on 30th January. I says it is a four hour tour then a transfer to the airport. It depends on the time you leave the ship. I think you will be at the airport for some time.

We plan on staying on the ship on the last day, or taking a last minute walk. I don`t know what time we will be taken to the airport but it is usually after lunch. There was a thread with past pick up times on here somewhere.

I had a look at this tour. We join the ship on 30th January. I says it is a four hour tour then a transfer to the airport. It depends on the time you leave the ship. I think you will be at the airport for some time.

We plan on staying on the ship on the last day, or taking a last minute walk. I don`t know what time we will be taken to the airport but it is usually after lunch. There was a thread with past pick up times on here somewhere.

As your departure day is a Friday, if you were interested, there are tours at the Kensington Oval (half hourly starting at 9.00) and Mount Gay Rum Factory (45 minute tours starting at 9.00). Both are within easy walking distance from the port (walk left away from Bridgetown as you exit the port) and may provide a focus for the morning before returning to the ship for lunch prior to transfer. It's also a pleasant and easy walk (10 to 15 minutes) along the Carenage to the town centre with places for a drink along the way.

Our last day is Saturday so the tours aren't an option for us - but may be of interest to others with a Friday departure.

Last year we got off the ship in the morning, grabbed a cab which took us on a tour of Barbados, saw beautiful beaches, monkeys strolling down the street etc. We were back on board by 2pm, had lunch and then waited to be called.

The previous year we went swimming with turtles in the morning and departed the ship late afternoon. I used the spa showers to wash and change.

Both good trips. I wouldn't want to sit in the airport for 4 hours or more if the plane ia delayed. At least if you are on the ship you can go for a snack or drink whilst waiting.

Hope this helps :)

I just checked my map as something rang alarm bells. A couple of years back, again on the Ventura, a couple of English people got muged turning left from the port along an area called 'Cheap side', I seem to recall a knife was involved. Ironically the husband was an ex uk cop, we got talking with them while having afternoon tea on the ship. So I wouldn't advise walking to the Rum place on the H1 road.

It is for this reason I asked about the safety from Carlisle Bay back to the port as my wife isn't keen.

Keith (Southend, UK)

I just checked my map as something rang alarm bells. A couple of years back, again on the Ventura, a couple of English people got muged turning left from the port along an area called 'Cheap side', I seem to recall a knife was involved. Ironically the husband was an ex uk cop, we got talking with them while having afternoon tea on the ship. So I wouldn't advise walking to the Rum place on the H1 road.

It is for this reason I asked about the safety from Carlisle Bay back to the port as my wife isn't keen.

Keith (Southend, UK)

Goodness - thanks for the heads up on that. We walked past both the cricket ground and Distillery to Brandon Bay last year (left from the port). It was very quiet though as it was a Sunday so we weren't able to visit either of these. I suppose you could get a taxi if you really wanted to go although it's not far.

Walking the opposite way along the promenade to the town centre seemed fine - there are always quite a lot of fellow cruisers wandering along this strip too and we also walked all the way to the far end of Carlisle Bay and felt OK and not uncomfortable but of course you never know. We've caught the local buses too - once to Holetown and on another occasion to Accra Beach but perhaps we'll look at taxis next time.

I'm a bit gutted that Saturday departures aren't allowed off the ship (unless on a P&O excursion) on their last day. Any reason we can't be trusted?

This is news to me. We also leave on Saturday and I was unaware of any restrictions on our movements. How did you get to know about this?

This is news to me. We also leave on Saturday and I was unaware of any restrictions on our movements. How did you get to know about this?

It was mentioned in another thread.

Your comments seemed to back it up on first glance but i suppose you meant those tours don't run on Saturday (although surely you could do them on the Friday).

Perhaps i've got the wrong end of the stick and would be pleased if that were the case as i'd quite like a walk out on Saturday before flying home.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2130381

Posts 3 and 8 there; i think i misunderstood, the discussion is about being taken to the airport if not taking a tour (another poster talks about doing a morning excursion so long as your flight isn't too early).

Edited by ep1987

It was mentioned in another thread.

Your comments seemed to back it up on first glance but i suppose you meant those tours don't run on Saturday (although surely you could do them on the Friday).

Perhaps i've got the wrong end of the stick and would be pleased if that were the case as i'd quite like a walk out on Saturday before flying home.

Sorry, the confusion may be because the tours I mentioned are tours of the Distillery and cricket ground - not ship tours (excursions). In my experience we have always been able to leave the ship on departure day prior to the time for transfer to the airport. I was only suggesting what could be done independently in the vicinity of the port for anyone interested. The two tours I mentioned were tours of the Kensington Oval (a guided tour of the cricket ground) or a tour of the Mount Gay Distillery - both of these are within walking distance of the port and you would do them yourself. They are only available on Fridays though as neither are open to the public on Saturdays. Perhaps that's what was misleading but as for being unable to leave the ship I really don't think that's the case and would also be very upset if it were.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Edited by kruzseeka

It was raining on our last day so we waited for a gap in the weather and wandered over to the "shed" for a mooch around the shops. There's also an outside bar for a final beer. Of course you can leave the ship - it's not Colditz! Enjoy your last hours.