Entertainment

Toad

We only went to 3 shows on the Noordam ... a guitarist who was good, but I found just sitting watching someone play the guitar not very exciting. 'Heat, by the ships singers and dancers, which was quite good, and a show by the singer Andrew Derbyshire, which was absolutely amazing.

The singer in the piano bar was good, but it was too hot and crowded in there for us, never a spare seat. My mum liked the BB King band, but they weren't my kind of thing.

I didn't notice the shows in the vista lounge as too loud, and I have really sharp hearing.

Too bad that you missed Droom. It is the 2nd best cast show, followed by a Country Western Show on the Westerdam in 2014, that I have seen on a HAL stage. The best: Cantare aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam during her Inagural Season. It didn't involve the whole cast, just 4 male singers and live musicians. They received a prolonged standing ovation that was well desired. I don't know if it is still being performed, but, if so, it is a performance that ought not to be missed.

Just off the Westerdam today, and I am happy to report that the BB King's Band was outstanding. Amazing show, in fact so good that we skipped the other entertainment and went to see their show every night. The other shows on board seem to be redundant, and downright boring at this point, so we were thrilled to find great and talented musicians who changed it up nightly.

I agree that entertainment is subjective. On our first (and only) cruise, last summer on the Veendam, we thought the entertainment was consistently good, both in the showroom and in the lounges. We're expecting even better entertainment on our August cruise on the Noordam due to the presence of the BB King band. My wife and I love the 60's soul and blues music.

We found the BB King Club band to play some current music as well. Very talented group. HAL worked hard on these auditions, I imagine.

This is what I found with the group on the Westerdam in 2013. January, on the Noordam, no. Usually what they played--which was quite good--were jazz and blues music.

It obviously varies from BB King group to group. Just one more of the inconsistencies that I am seeing during my HAL cruise experiences.

Edited by rkacruiser