Traffic into port

SailinC2C

Since Quantum has arrival times, I need to know how long it takes to get into the drop off area.

When we sailed on Explorer 4 years ago, it took forever to turn left into the port area and then it was stop and go all the way to the ship.

Is this still the case? If so we will leave our Airport hotel early so we can make our boarding time.

We were on the November 23rd cruise and my opinion is that the new traffic pattern is worse than with the old building (yes, even I didn't think that would be possible). We came from the south to avoid the bridge so we didn't have to make the left turn, but it was stop and go and the drop off was just as chaotic as ever.

This was also the first time I've had to wait behind more than one or two cars to get into the parking lot (I should have recognized this as an omen of future system issues). For disembarkation we ended up rolling our luggage out to the lot because trying to get the car, get in the line, find the family, and load the car would have taken way longer than walking to the lot.

Just my experience, I'm sure there's others.

• 2 weeks later...

We just came back. We arrived at the light outside the port on 440 South (had to turn left into the port) at 10:30 am. We didn't get TO the terminal until 11 am (and by the time unloaded and parked, maybe 11:20). All the traffic bottlenecks and there were still a ton of people getting picked up at the time when the next cruisers were getting dropped off. Really hectic and poorly designed. Signage was terrible too. We parked the truck at the port. If there was any signs telling me to stay in the left lane, I could have done so, parked, and walked my two suitcases right over. Could have been IN the terminal by 10:45. We had a deck 13 Junior Suite and watched the traffic stay heavy all day until maybe 3pm.

We were on the Dec 12th cruise. The car was in line at 1145 and reached the luggage dropoff at 1220. I thought about going the wrong way down the side street to the parking lot and wheeling the bags over; but the signs still state it is not permitted to do so.

There are separate dropoff lanes for buses, cabs, and cars. But the separation does not occur until you are nearly at the terminal. Also, there were no buses at that time and all cabs were going into the main car lane. The extra dropoff capacity was not used.

At the Captain's corner, they said it was better than before and they hope it will be even better after the carpark is built (but they didn't say when that would be).

At the Captain's corner, they said it was better than before and they hope it will be even better after the carpark is built (but they didn't say when that would be).

The only way to make the traffic better is to build a separate road directly into the parking lot. There is simply no other way to make it better. There are so many vehicles coming down that long access road to the terminal/parking lot in a short period of time, that it is impossible to not have delays.

I had a similar experience as the OP had. On 12/12 traffic was backed up to well before the current parking lot at 11:15. As I passed the road that the lot entrance is on I wished I could have simply made a left and gone straight to the lot but the sign said Authorized Vehicles Only. If I recall correctly the road has three lanes, the right two heading to the terminal and the left lane in theory for opposite traffic as it is separated by a solid yellow line. Of course, once past the exit from the parking lot I don't think there is any way for traffic to head in that direction.

In my opinion, they should repaint the lines to open the left lane to traffic heading to the lot only once past the lot exit. Of course, I'm sure people would then try to use it to get to the terminal by cutting in at the last moment. It will be interesting to see what they do once the garage is built.

I am not familiar with the port, but it sounds as though you would have less traffic if you stayed to the left, went directly to the parking area, and wheeled your luggage to the terminal. Is that correct/allowed? We are on Q in January and would prefer to avoid potential issues.

I am not familiar with the port, but it sounds as though you would have less traffic if you stayed to the left, went directly to the parking area, and wheeled your luggage to the terminal. Is that correct/allowed? We are on Q in January and would prefer to avoid potential issues.

The problem is that the left lane appears to be for reverse traffic as there is a solid yellow line and no signs say it may be travelled in in the direction of the terminal. The two right lanes both head to the terminal with a branch going to the parking lot only very close to the terminal. In my case, I crept in the left most of the two right lanes for 20 minutes until I could branch off towards the parking lot. I only had carry on bags so I didn't want to go to the drop off area. I probably should have gone up the left lane in the "wrong" direction as no cars were coming back in that direction.

12/12 got there about 11:20 and was in the traffic. Just before the terminal is a sign that says drop off parking. We went to parking and wheeled our bags over. HOWEVER once you got to terminal you had to stand in line to drop off bags. While standing there I saw the car I was next in the traffic drop off bags and proceed to parking so I think it is better to stay in the traffic.

Also there is a shuttle from the parking lot but it was leaving when we left to walk and got there way after us and by then the luggage line was even longer.

This is a fixable problem and I am sure in a few more cruises they will figure it out. Possible by changing the one way road so you can get to parking earlier and by having more luggage handlers for the parking lot.

Can anyone give me explicit directions from LI to the terminal and the best way to deal with the traffic flow? I need to pick a boarding time as well and am not sure if we should leave very early (then we will encounter massive rush hour traffic from LI) or on the later side (I always like to be on board for lunch!). We will be traveling with my 90 year old mother so walking too far will be out of the question. Would love some suggestions! Thanks.

Can anyone give me explicit directions from LI to the terminal and the best way to deal with the traffic flow? I need to pick a boarding time as well and am not sure if we should leave very early (then we will encounter massive rush hour traffic from LI) or on the later side (I always like to be on board for lunch!). We will be traveling with my 90 year old mother so walking too far will be out of the question. Would love some suggestions! Thanks.

Take the Southern State to the Belt Parkway to the Verrazano Bridge. Once over the Verrazano you will be on the Staten Island Expressway. Stay on it for about 5 or 6 miles and look for the signs to Rte. 440 and the Bayonne Bridge. Take 440 over the Bayonne Bridge and stay on 440 for maybe 3 to 4 miles and look for signs for the cruise port on the right. The road to turn right on is Port Terminal Blvd. Follow that for a couple of miles until you get to the terminal. Luggage and any passengers can be dropped off at the terminal. The current parking lot entrance is accessed by looping around a warehouse, there are signs.

Depending on what day of the week it is and the time of day there could be delays on the Belt Parkway (weekends should be fine). Also expect construction delays possibly on the Verrazano and almost always on the Staten Island Expressway. There could also be some backup getting to the terminal drop off area.

I went there on Friday, December 12th, leaving home at 10:15. From West Hempstead (Exit 17 on Southern State) it took me an hour to get to Port Terminal Blvd. with delays only on the Staten Island Expressway. Unfortunately, traffic was backed up before the terminal about 15 minutes. I have heard that that was unusual, though. Going home early on a Saturday morning I got home in 50 minutes.