Nassau - Good, bad, ugly

sand&beachlover

We are very excited about Nassau because of Atlantis. However, the more I read I hear a lot of people saying they don't get off the ship at this port.

Is there an easy, safe way to get to Atlantis without going through Carnival? Or is it best just to go through Carnival?

Is Nassau as bad as people really make it out to be?

If you enjoy Nassau, what have you done there? Excursions? Ect?

We've cruised before and been to DR so we know how the locals can be with being pushy selling items, etc.

I'd love to hear thoughts about this port...

We are very excited about Nassau because of Atlantis. However, the more I read I hear a lot of people saying they don't get off the ship at this port.

Is there an easy, safe way to get to Atlantis without going through Carnival? Or is it best just to go through Carnival?

Is Nassau as bad as people really make it out to be?

If you enjoy Nassau, what have you done there? Excursions? Ect?

We've cruised before and been to DR so we know how the locals can be with being pushy selling items, etc.

I'd love to hear thoughts about this port...

Nassau is less aggressive than DR. Even with what I've been reading, I haven't encountered any problem here, or felt the least bit at ease with my family.

These crimes are generally not against tourists.

As for Atlantis. I'm done with it.. there's so much more to do and see in nassau, but if you need to get there. There are taxi's lined up both at the port and Atlantis. $5 pp.

Nassau is less aggressive than DR. Even with what I've been reading, I haven't encountered any problem here, or felt the least bit at ease with my family.

These crimes are generally not against tourists.

As for Atlantis. I'm done with it.. there's so much more to do and see in nassau, but if you need to get there. There are taxi's lined up both at the port and Atlantis. $5 pp.

Thanks for the input!

What else is there to see and do that you enjoyed?

It has been a few years since we were there (2006) but we got a tour from one of the guys on the dock that took us on an island tour that included Atlantis, but I don't remember any sites really standing out. After the tour we went to the straw market which was crowded but great prices on fake purses and souvenirs. We were never uncomfortable and felt safe the entire visit.