Just off the Fantasy!! 12-7 thru 12-12

tucho

You know why most people stay in North Charleston or Mount Pleasent, due to limited space there is little to no parking at hotels in Charleston. Most cruiser's such as myself like to do the park and cruise, since parking at the port tends to be very expensive. It's the same issue in NOLA with most staying in outlying areas. I've been to Charleston on a visit just to see the city and stayed in Mt. Pleasant, where the rates are lower and you don't have to pay to park.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We like the Hampton down on Meeting Street, but they were not available for just a one nighter, so off to Mt. Pleasant we went. That's happened to us a few times not just for a cruise night, even with booking a couple months in advance.

Never been to Charleston so I am not familiar with the port and their embarkation. We sailed on the Fantasy when she was sailing out of NOLA in 2007. Ship I too thought was clean although quite outdated. We booked an oceanview cabin on the Riviera deck for this 5 night cruise. Quite comfortable. All our other cruises we have had balcony cabins. Food was average on our cruise. The only real complaint that I had was ship's water tasted like chlorine . I couldn't drink the water or any beverage made with it. I think that the newer the ship, the better the water. I imagine it has to do with the improved technology dealing with desalinization. Unless things have been updated on the Fantasy, and you are picky on the taste of your water (like I am), I would definitely consider bringing either your own water or use a filter cup.

Never been to Charleston so I am not familiar with the port and their embarkation. We sailed on the Fantasy when she was sailing out of NOLA in 2007. Ship I too thought was clean although quite outdated. We booked an oceanview cabin on the Riviera deck for this 5 night cruise. Quite comfortable. All our other cruises we have had balcony cabins. Food was average on our cruise. The only real complaint that I had was ship's water tasted like chlorine . I couldn't drink the water or any beverage made with it. I think that the newer the ship, the better the water. I imagine it has to do with the improved technology dealing with desalinization. Unless things have been updated on the Fantasy, and you are picky on the taste of your water (like I am), I would definitely consider bringing either your own water or use a filter cup.

I didn't find it that bad with the tea/coffee, but I couldn't drink it straight. I couldn't do it on the Fascination either. I always buy the bottled water for the room. It was like that with my first RCC cruise too.

Maybe it's just me and I am way off base but here is my take. If I was the city of Charleston and the cruise industry I would be doing everything that I could possibly do to have a great working relationship. Why you ask? In my opinion Charleston is a gold mine of a locations! Below are my reasons.

1. From Charleston you can sail to Bermuda, New England, Key West, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Bahamas, Domician Republic, San Juan, and most of the islands south of San Juan. What other port would allow you that much flexibility. What is a top complaint from many cruisers? Same ports same destinations. Wow, how many different options would this allow.

2. Given those options, and if Charleston promoted there city I guarantee you that people would spend more and obviously more people rather fly or drive would be there. You see Charleston, you must put in some effort as people are not just going to show up.

3. The majority of cruisers are over the age of 50. Would those people prefer to see Miami, New Orleans, NYC, Tampa or Charleston. My vote would be Charleston due to the rich history and beauty. Again promote it!

Obviously there are many other little things that would need to happen but your sitting on a gold mine!

The "City of Charleston, i.e., the government, mayor, etc. are quite in favor of the new terminal going forward at the north end of Union Pier as desired by the South Carolina Ports Authority. Mayor Riley has been rather put off by the appeals and delays as I understand. It's not the "City of Charleston" that is opposed; rather organizations, homeowners, and individuals within the city.

The Fantasy is going to change its itinerary next October. However, I seriously doubt Charleston will ever be a major port like Miami or others. You see, this proposed new terminal will still be a one ship at a time, limited to around 120 ships per year, and those of limited capacity.

Apparently you have not read all of my posts in this thread, as surely you would not have posted some of of the things that you did and would understand why it is believed we can not handle more.

Charleston must put in some effort for people to show up???? Need to promote it???? Chuckle. We've been voted the #! travel destination in the US by Conde Nast Traveler for four years in a row. #2 in the world! We've been voted the #2 wedding destination spot in the US. We get all sorts of culinary designations. There are countless other publicity/promotional means out there. I quoted The Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Economic Outlook Forecast for the 2014 Visitor Industry that 1,652,423 people would attend just some of our area attractions! We are building condos, apartments and hotels all up the peninsula, as well as parking lots for residents, guests and visitors. We can hardly keep up with all the new restaurants opening here. We are overrun with traffic, congestion and tourists! Including the kind that do lead to a "gold mine." That kind just don't happen to be the average Fantasy cruiser according to studies conducted! The average Fantasy cruiser comes from closer by, wants to drive in and drive out just for the cruise and spends very little money in the city. That's just a fact. For the most part, they've been here done that and want to just cruise, entering and exiting easily and cheaply!

Another thing is that we have a rather small airport that is expensive to fly into and out of for the most part. Much cheaper to fly into larger cities like Miami or Tampa.

Thanks for your thoughts and I'm glad you think us worthier the other options! Come visit!

You know why most people stay in North Charleston or Mount Pleasent, due to limited space there is little to no parking at hotels in Charleston. Most cruiser's such as myself like to do the park and cruise, since parking at the port tends to be very expensive. It's the same issue in NOLA with most staying in outlying areas. I've been to Charleston on a visit just to see the city and stayed in Mt. Pleasant, where the rates are lower and you don't have to pay to park.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know what it costs to park at the SPA for the Fantasy. But I do believe that the city garages are maxed out at $16. per day. And parking in the city is not as limited as some think. It's just so well concealed that it's often overlooked! All the newer hotels have been required to provide parking and those being built now are also building parking beneath, decks beside or near as required. Price at the hotels is a matter of supply and demand. I'm amazed at some of the prices myself! It's all matter of where and how you want to spend your money! I get it!

That's good to know! Though it might have changed since the Fantasy was refitted in 2008 and improvements could have been made. Still, I'm going to keep that in mind as we're going on her this month.

I didn't find it that bad with the tea/coffee, but I couldn't drink it straight. I couldn't do it on the Fascination either. I always buy the bottled water for the room. It was like that with my first RCC cruise too.

Do you know if the soft drinks like Diet Coke are served from a fountain or are in cans/bottles? Can you board with your own bottled water and soft drinks?

Do you know if the soft drinks like Diet Coke are served from a fountain or are in cans/bottles? Can you board with your own bottled water and soft drinks?

They are sold in cans, and very expensive. Carnival allows each cruiser to take 12 -30 oz. soda on board. But, they must in your carry on luggage.

The "City of Charleston, i.e., the government, mayor, etc. are quite in favor of the new terminal going forward at the north end of Union Pier as desired by the South Carolina Ports Authority. Mayor Riley has been rather put off by the appeals and delays as I understand. It's not the "City of Charleston" that is opposed; rather organizations, homeowners, and individuals within the city.

The Fantasy is going to change its itinerary next October. However, I seriously doubt Charleston will ever be a major port like Miami or others. You see, this proposed new terminal will still be a one ship at a time, limited to around 120 ships per year, and those of limited capacity.

Apparently you have not read all of my posts in this thread, as surely you would not have posted some of of the things that you did and would understand why it is believed we can not handle more.

Charleston must put in some effort for people to show up???? Need to promote it???? Chuckle. We've been voted the #! travel destination in the US by Conde Nast Traveler for four years in a row. #2 in the world! We've been voted the #2 wedding destination spot in the US. We get all sorts of culinary designations. There are countless other publicity/promotional means out there. I quoted The Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce Economic Outlook Forecast for the 2014 Visitor Industry that 1,652,423 people would attend just some of our area attractions! We are building condos, apartments and hotels all up the peninsula, as well as parking lots for residents, guests and visitors. We can hardly keep up with all the new restaurants opening here. We are overrun with traffic, congestion and tourists! Including the kind that do lead to a "gold mine." That kind just don't happen to be the average Fantasy cruiser according to studies conducted! The average Fantasy cruiser comes from closer by, wants to drive in and drive out just for the cruise and spends very little money in the city. That's just a fact. For the most part, they've been here done that and want to just cruise, entering and exiting easily and cheaply!

Another thing is that we have a rather small airport that is expensive to fly into and out of for the most part. Much cheaper to fly into larger cities like Miami or Tampa.

Thanks for your thoughts and I'm glad you think us worthier the other options! Come visit!

"If you build it, they will come"..... Btw, what city isn't in a publication for best place to visit. There are so many different rankings. Listen to the people who you want to visit verse being so close minded. Btw, there is a place called Norfolk Va that has a similar airport and they have a Bermuda cruise. It's almost sold out, with 10 months to go!

They are sold in cans, and very expensive. Carnival allows each cruiser to take 12 -30 oz. soda on board. But, they must in your carry on luggage.

Thanks! I read if you buy the soft drink/beverage pass that it's in a glass so I assumed fountain, not cans. I prefer canned. I plan to take some on board in carry-on luggage for the cabin but didn't know about dining, bar, pool area, etc. if I buy the soft drink beverage pass.

"If you build it, they will come"..... Btw, what city isn't in a publication for best place to visit. There are so many different rankings. Listen to the people who you want to visit verse being so close minded. Btw, there is a place called Norfolk Va that has a similar airport and they have a Bermuda cruise. It's almost sold out, with 10 months to go!

And of course, you have either conducted feasibility studies, or studied such already conducted, concerning building/adding all that you suggest here. You understand all of the various entities involved. You are familiar with the environmental concerns. You are an expert on the Charleston harbor itself, its channels, depths, dredging schedules, container shipping and other commercial shipping in the harbor? You are well versed in the post 9/11 regulations for a cruise terminal. Evacuation procedures and requirements. You have familiarized yourself with the State Ports Authority, it's available land mass and its plans for a cruise terminal and future contracts with cruise lines? The same concerning the Charleston airport? Traffic? Parking? Carnival's wishes concerning destinations from CHS? I could go on and on but I find it interesting that people think that they have all the answers without ever actually looking at the real issues and facts. Easy for YOU to say.

As far as being "close minded" see posts numbers 19 and 42 concerning how I feel about people who make such comments. :roll eyes:

• 2 weeks later...