Pompeii or Herculaneum?

Mademoiselle22

Hi everyone,

I'm very excited to be sailing to Naples for a day with the Norwegian Spirit in June 2015. I'm leaning towards getting a private tour (probably RIL) for either a Herculaneum (with guided tour) plus Positano and Sorrento or the same tour with a guided tour of Pompeii instead.

I've been to Naples before and visited Pompeii without a guide. I also have a pretty deep interest in archaeology. I'm traveling with my mom who hasn't seen Pompeii yet but doesn't really have a preference. I'm kind of leaning towards Herculaneum myself, but I would like to see what others have to say about the subject. Also has anyone been on a RIL Herculaneum and Amalfi Coast day? Did you regret your choice because Herculaneum is a lot smaller, or do you feel that you were able to cover everything because of the smaller site? For anyone who has been on both tours, which one would you pick?

I can never get enough of either Pompeii or Herculaneum!

Normally, for a first-time visitor I'd recommend Pompeii; although it's larger it just really gives you a better sense of both the enormity of the disaster and a better cross-section of things to see (houses, baths, forum, temples, etc.)

However, since you've been to Pompeii, Herculaneum has its own charms, including some very well preserved residences. It can also be seen in a shorter time, which is something to consider if you're looking at doing multiple things during the day.

I can understand not having a preference if you've never been there but they are not comparable. The landscapes are completely different, as the towns themselves were. One was a seaside resort town, while the other was a major city and industrial center of its day. As cruisemom points out, there's a lot more to see and understand at Pompei and if you've only ever seen Herculeneum you'd be left with a skewed understanding of the time and the events.

We did Amalfi Coast and Pompeii with RIL... It was wonderful, they arranged the private guide for us.

And we had the best meal of our entire trip in a cliff side restaurant and got very fond of the house made Limoncello!!!!

call Jany at RIL and book it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Herculaneum is quite a lot better preserved, and plenty big enough. Pompeii's extra size is of limited value because you can't reasonably cover it all anyway. I had an extremely enthusiastic Herculaneum guide who took us round the whole site, virtually non-stop, in 3 hours, speaking all the time. It sounds like a nightmare, but wasn't because he was so good at telling you things, and even after 3 hours he wasn't repetitive or boring. But at a more leisurely pace, you could spend all day there.

If you've seen Pompeii, then as someone said further up, do Herculaneum. I've seen both and would probably revisit Herculaneum next time I have the chance to do one or the other.

I visited Pompeii again last November and quite a few of the buildings were closed or fenced off. It seems there is a scandal because sufficient has not been done to protect the archaeology.

I have been to both twice and find Herculaneum more approachable, easier to visit.

I visited Pompeii again last November and quite a few of the buildings were closed or fenced off. It seems there is a scandal because sufficient has not been done to protect the archaeology.

I have been to both twice and find Herculaneum more approachable, easier to visit.

Like the tombs in the Valley of the Kings, only a few of the houses in Pompeii are open on any given day, and they rotate them. A few are almost always open. Some, of course, are closed for preservation work. And some can be viewed only by prior appointment.

If anyone wants to find out which houses are open on a given day, you can check at the information desk next to the ticket line. They will give you a list -- a real time saver. (When I say "give you a list", I mean that they will tell you orally; there is nothing written down.)

Pompeii is a huge site that at the moment doesn't really have a champion. Herculaneum was just as bad if not worse a few years back, but they have made great strides under the work done (and money raised) by Andrew Hadrill-Wallace at the head of the Herculaneum Conservation Project.

I do have to disagree with the earlier statement that Herculaneum is better preserved than Pompeii. I think it's more fair to say that parts of Herculaneum are better preserved than parts of Pompeii. But then, there are parts of Pompeii that equal or surpass what you will see at Herculaneum.

Edited by cruisemom42

Having been to both sites, I would go to Pompeii first and then if you are still interested Herculanium. As others have said Herculanium is an excavated pit, with houses abutting the site, perhaps 50 feet above the city. Some of the excavated buildings are actually underground. Pompeii is more open and easier to appreciate. Have a great trip!

Herculaneum is quite a lot better preserved, and plenty big enough. Pompeii's extra size is of limited value because you can't reasonably cover it all anyway. I had an extremely enthusiastic Herculaneum guide who took us round the whole site, virtually non-stop, in 3 hours, speaking all the time. It sounds like a nightmare, but wasn't because he was so good at telling you things, and even after 3 hours he wasn't repetitive or boring. But at a more leisurely pace, you could spend all day there.

If you've seen Pompeii, then as someone said further up, do Herculaneum. I've seen both and would probably revisit Herculaneum next time I have the chance to do one or the other.

Sounds like the guide we had in Herculanem in April...his name was Leonardo and one of the best ever....we didn't mind the nonstop as his love of Italy's history and the site made it so wonderful. The interiors of the houses just blew us away. It was a ship's tour on NCL. We return to the Med in Oct and will be visiting Pompeii then, and really hope for Leonardo again!

• 3 months later...

It's extremely easy to take the train from Naples right to Ercolano and walk 10 minutes or so to the gates of Herculaneum. We used the audio tour which was perfect for us. Cruisemom42 also has extensive notes that she is willing to share about the site.

• 5 months later...
Hi everyone,

I'm very excited to be sailing to Naples for a day with the Norwegian Spirit in June 2015. I'm leaning towards getting a private tour (probably RIL) for either a Herculaneum (with guided tour) plus Positano and Sorrento or the same tour with a guided tour of Pompeii instead.

I've been to Naples before and visited Pompeii without a guide. I also have a pretty deep interest in archaeology. I'm traveling with my mom who hasn't seen Pompeii yet but doesn't really have a preference. I'm kind of leaning towards Herculaneum myself, but I would like to see what others have to say about the subject. Also has anyone been on a RIL Herculaneum and Amalfi Coast day? Did you regret your choice because Herculaneum is a lot smaller, or do you feel that you were able to cover everything because of the smaller site? For anyone who has been on both tours, which one would you pick?

Pompeii definitely!!! We went to Herculaneum and we like Pompeii better. We have been to Pompeii 2 times with tour guides. Love it!!

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

Which one is "better" will be based on personal opinion and preferences. Both were "preserved" in completely different manners as a result of the eruption, one by ash, one by mud. I did quite a bit of research before deciding and determined that Herculaneum better suited us.

This documenttary was very helpful in the decision-making process.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1215284329/

Armed with an extrordiary private guide (arranged by RIL), all agreed that the day was fantastic. (FWIW - some in our party had also been to Pompeii.)

When visiting, I never thought of Herculaneum as "an excuvated pit with houses abutting the sides"" as another poster mentioned. It is huge, we went nonstop for three hours, and still did not cover it all. I'd return in a heartbeat.

I'm sure whichever you choose, you will not be disappointed.

We liked Herculaneum better, but glad we saw Pompeii first. You kind of need to see both; they are similar but different. Herculaneum seems to be in better shape. It seemed about 1/20th the size of Pompeii and it was easy to see just about all of it. If your mother is older and might tire, probably Herculaneum is better. The sad thing about both sites is, so many of the frescoes on the walls seem to have been removed and sent to museums. And most of the artifacts are gone to museums. The body casts are not left in place where found. I guess it has to be that way because of theft, weathering and vandalism. You don't get a sense of something frozen in time on a tragic day. A lot of it is like an empty stage. But still really great to see. Make sure you get off at the right train stop for Herculaneum. Two stops together have similar names, and we and others! got off at the wrong stop. So we lost time there.

Make sure you get off at the right train stop for Herculaneum. Two stops together have similar names, and we and others! got off at the wrong stop. So we lost time there.

The stop for the ruins of Herculaneum is Ercolano Scavi. ("Scavi" means excavations in Italian, a good word to know....)

The other stop (for the modern town) is Ercolano Miglio d'Oro.

Here is a link to the timetable for the Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento -- the one you'd take to reach either Herculaneum or Pompeii:

http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/orariautomobilisti/NapoliSorrento_New2015.pdf

Edited by cruisemom42

True, but others reference these threads for months (even years) afterwards....

They certainly do- I'm always picking up tips of yours, a true fountain of knowledge.

I hope I didn't sound as if I was nit picking, it was more that I wondered what she chose to do.