inlcuded drink package and other tips for new to msc

allmotormark

we have sailed on costa and rci, but new to msc we are sailing on a med cruise from venice on the lirica mainly because of the itinerary. Any tips or differences i should be aware of. I tried searching.

I remember when on rci they had a station with ice cream and juices does this ship have something similar?

also got a free drink package but not exactly sure what it will include. its called 658PUS15−COCKTAIL PACKAGE. Has anyone got that package before searched there site but found nothing.

MSC and Costa are quite similar. MSC is more like European Italian whereas Costa is American Italian. Check in procedure is so much more efficient on MSC, everything is done at one point. Can't comment on MDC's similarities to RCCL. Only observation would be that there will be far more English speaking passengers than on MSC wherebthey are in a minority (or even a very small minority) on Med sailings.

They won't have free ice cream stands on the Lirica but yiu will be able to get free tea, coffee and water at the buffet drinks stations any time of day or night. Tea and coffee is only included in the MDR at breakfast. I'm not a fan of the free coffee, I don't even find it drinkable. The teas are fine though as they have quite a range of them including fruit and herbal ones and often they are Twinings. Now the real coffee that you get at any bar is fantastic. It is almost worth having an all inclusive drinks package for that alone! The ice cream at the gelateria is also included in that (but just tubs and cones - sundaes are extra).

The Lirica is due to be stretched under their Renaissance programme (Armonia already done). Not sure if you are due to sail before or after she is stretched.

The only cocktail package I've ever encountered or used is one where you get a book of vouchers (typically 12) and you hand one over ever time you order a cocktail. Watch what is the cocktail of the day. They are cheaper and you may be better buying them and saving the vouchers to use on ones at full price.

Edited by AmoMondo

thanks for the info, just to confirm the gelateria is free or not? can bottle of water be brought on board or not?

No it is not free. If you buy the Allegrissimo (all inclusive) drinks package it is included. It is not the soft serve stuff you get on Costa but real ice cream like you'd get in an ice cream shop in Italy. Alternatively, you can get it in the MDR at lunch and dinner although just the flavour of the day.

No food or drinks can be brought onboard. That is the official policy. I invariably have a bottle of water in my bag and have never been stopped for doing so. They are not great at policing their own policies and when they do, they are more interested in people bringing on alcohol than water

Edited by AmoMondo

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose you could drink the water from the gap in your. Ann. It is rather warm though. I've had the Allegrissimo on all recent cruises, so just pick up a big bottle every night from a bar before heading to my room.

The official policy is no food or drink to be brought onboard. They may stop you with a 12 pack and keep it until the end of Te cruise or they may not do anything at all. They are not great at enforcing their own riles and are probably more interested in catching people bringing on alcohol but you could be unlucky and get someone being vigilant.

There is water and ice available virtually 24 hours in the buffet area

Mmm, I think ice may only be available on the Divina.

It is curious that on my recent trip aboard the Queen Mary 2, despite being English, despite this being a 'British' themed ship and despite this being December, we got a bucket of ice everyday in our fridge!

I would have rather crashed into an iceberg than had ice in our fridge.

I am looking forward to a 'European' cruise with MSC. The Divina has to be crossed off.

Mmm, I think ice may only be available on the Divina.

It is curious that on my recent trip aboard the Queen Mary 2, despite being English, despite this being a 'British' themed ship and despite this being December, we got a bucket of ice everyday in our fridge!

I would have rather crashed into an iceberg than had ice in our fridge.

I am looking forward to a 'European' cruise with MSC. The Divina has to be crossed off.

Tim,

Just read your "live blog" on your QM2 trans-Atlantic journey. It was an eye opener for me as I have always imagined a Cunard crossing as an "ultimate bucket list entry". Seems like I was wrong.

You made some subtle comparisons with MSC, and Cunard seems to have been "damned by your faint praise".

As a novice cruiser thank you for the information. I feel vindicated in my praise of MSC YC as an alternate to "luxury cruise lines" at an affordable price.

BTW we would welcome the ice in the fridge ....

Edited by AVACTION
spelling

I would say that the Allegrissimo package is absolutely unbeatable, with maybe one exception - when the ship is at full capacity.

We've returned last week and saved well over €300 with the package rather that buying drinks on an individual basis. What I did notice was that on the last night, which was the main change over port of Genoa, the ship went from half full to capacity and the wait to get their drinks was looooooong, some people couldn't even find anywhere to sit in the bars. So maybe if you're sailing at peak times you may just about break even.

One point which is a definite plus... we were on Splenida and the Aft Lounge was a very popular place to go after dinner. It's a great lounge BUT despite there being loads of seating there are very few tables. This means that if you buy a drink you have to either put it on the floor (not good), or hold it. I bought a double Limoncello and decided to get up for a dance, put my drink on a ledge by my seat and on my return......no glass just a big damp patch of the seat. Obviously someone had knocked it off :( That drink was in the region of €8 so had I not have had the package I would have been pretty :mad: As it was, it didn't matter, I just ordered another....lesson learned.

Another important lesson learned is always check you're given back your own cruise card and not someone else's. It's quite a rigmarole to get another.