Mahogany Bay "Wifi"

jdcml

Just a quick review of the wifi service that you can pay for at Mahogany Bay. When you get in the midst of the shops you can gain access to "Internet Access" which is a pay for use service. This same access is also available down at the beach. $5 for an hour, $10 for the day...

I looked at the coverage map and it indicated that the chairs and beach area were all covered all the way out into the water. I needed to do some things for work and sprang for the $10 option. The access to the page that tells you it is $10, the link to paypal, and the confirmation you spent your money are lightening fast! Anything else, well, not so much. If you stand under just the right coconut tree and the palms are all in alignment you might get the service you need. Back in the shopping area, everyone was huddled around the cart that sells the access if you pay cash. As I went up to get a refund I heard someone maybe 10 yards away tell the person that they were with that they were loosing service already. It took a little work, but they granted a refund for my day pass.

BUT - if you go to the third Fat Tuesday on the beach (Captain something - and yes each place is apparently different but the same) and buy a drink they provide you with free wifi. They tell you straight up though that it doesn't really work outside of the building. I got average access on the picnic table but just wanted to be outside. The access was solid and consistent and was well worth the overpriced drink which is the norm on the island :p

If you just HAVE to check in, paying the $5 to stand at the cart might be worthwhile. If you are expecting any sort of freedom or access then it might not be the best option available (and there aren't many other options!).

Yes it would be the third Fat Tuesdays. The first one is at the port shopping area. The second is in the first of the set of buildings on your left after you enter the beach. The third is just a building or two down. As I recall, there is/was an open area between the two FTs on the beach that had tables and seating. The set of buildings used to be the administration and common facilities buildings for the Eco Resort that was originally on the property.

Thanks for the review of the wifi. We have reserved a cabana on Mahogany Bay. It supposedly includes free wifi. I read somewhere the cabanas are next to a Fat Tuesday, I wonder if it is the 3rd one or not?

The cabanas are pretty close to the place that had decent wifi, but probably not close enough. The paid wifi is likely what you'll have access to. Now, in fairness, it did rain that day so maybe that had an impact. Also, the lady that we finally got wifi from said the beach service was fairly new and still kind of working out the kinks. For free, it'll work :D

I was just at Mahogany Bay and must have gotten really lucky with their new WiFi. I was during the day at both the beach and later up by the shopping area and I didn't have any problems. I was able to upload my pics and IM all day. The girl at the kiosk was really nice and helpful too. She helped me get signed on to the wifi. It must be really new because there the crew on board didn't even know about it. Maybe they have work through their growning pains. I can only imagine the load it must have been to have thousands of WiFi starved cruisers get off the ship and overload their circuts all at once!!! Lol.

Nice to hear 101wifi. I'm sure lots of cruisers will appreciate knowing this!

As for me, I love it when I can go around unplugged for the day and not have to wear my little aluminum foil Tom Terrific hat to bat away the frequencies :D:rolleyes::D