Best Shore Snorkel Spots in GC

tigermaroon2

We are going to spend our day snorkeling around Grand Cayman. What are the best spots with free beach entry? Not looking for nec. the closest to the ship or the easiest to get to...we have our own gear...we'll just need a cab. Just wondering where some of you have found that is a good spot to check out some coral and lots of fish....

We're looking into the same thing. We'd really like to snorkel shallow wrecks, we did the Antilla II in Aruba recently, WW II tanker, parts of it only a few feet below the surface, coral all over it, tons of fish, awesome sight, it sort of spoiled us, we don't want to just do reefs anymore.

The Cali wreck is close to shore, about 100 feet, in 20 feet of water, apparently it's near Calico Jack's, access behind a dive shop beside Rackham's Pub, short walk from ship.

Also considering the Russian frigate sunk intentionally in Cayman Brac, 45 minute boat ride, in 60 feet of water, bridge is 32 feet down, radar tower is only 15 feet down.

And there are some beached shore wrecks, the Gamma and Ridgefield, partially submerged, not nuts about that.

If you hear of others please post it, thx!

-Bob

Thanks Zydeco. I'd already found that link and printed those pages out and they are in my files...I was hoping to hear from people who have actually snorkeled at some of these spots to get a take on which one's seemed better....and how far apart they are...and so forth.

If you walk over to the Eden Rock dive shop which is a few minutes walk from the tender pier, the staff in there are very helpful and know all the good spots on the island. I went in there for some advice and they were great. There was terrific snorkeling right there, by the way, or actually by the Abanks dive shop (they probably can help you too).

Well I was looking for a place to snorkel right off shore too, but I found out that Nativeway now does an excursion to Cemetery Reef. Its $20 bucks per person and leaves from 9AM and 10AM (Georgetown Pier) and returns (11AM and 12:30PM). Travel time is 15 minutes.

They don't include any rum punch or snacks - you have to bring your own - but Cemetery Reef? I AM THERE!

When are you sailing? I would love to hear how the wrecks are, if you decide to go. We are sailing on October 30. We are thinking of renting a car & going to the East End of the lsland & doing some off shore snorkeling along the way. We have never snorkeled wrecks. Look forward to hearing back from you!

Well I was looking for a place to snorkel right off shore too, but I found out that Nativeway now does an excursion to Cemetery Reef. Its $20 bucks per person and leaves from 9AM and 10AM (Georgetown Pier) and returns (11AM and 12:30PM). Travel time is 15 minutes.

They don't include any rum punch or snacks - you have to bring your own - but Cemetery Reef? I AM THERE!

The Cemetery is on 7 mile beach and you just walk to the snorkle site. Way cheaper just using a cab, but arrange your pick up. Cayman also runs buses, that don't seem to have a schedule, just flag them down.

When are you sailing? I would love to hear how the wrecks are, if you decide to go. We are sailing on October 30. We are thinking of renting a car & going to the East End of the lsland & doing some off shore snorkeling along the way. We have never snorkeled wrecks. Look forward to hearing back from you!

Hey EastTexas, yer way ahead of us, we're March, so we'll be interested in what you find. Our short list is the Cali and Russian Frigate. We considered the Balboa, only 30 feet down, but it's been dynamited to bits to make room for navigation, and we saw a wreck like that doing snuba in Barbados in the Boatyard Beach harbor, and when it's all pieces on the ocean floor it looks more like a dump ground than a wreck, got spoiled by the Antilla. But we heard of other broken wrecks in the Caribb that are cool, some airplanes too. The Cali has the advantage of being right near the ship and shore (behind Don Foster's Dive Shop I read), while the Frigate is a 45 minute boat ride.

We're doing 7 Mile Beach too, but maybe not by $10 p.p. cab ... the buses run every 15 minutes from the depot in town, and are $1.50. Hey, local flavor, and cash left over for beer!

Archived