Has anyone done the Celebrity cruise that is in port during Mardi Gras?

OnTheJourney

Hi,

I see that Celebrity has a 2017 itinerary that stays in New Orleans for several days. It is during Mardi Gras. This intrigues me a bit, since I have never been to Mardi Gras. I've read that it is really hard to book hotels and rooms during it, and so the cruise would certainly be a nice way to experience it. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? It's basically a Caribbean cruise - leaves out of Ft. Lauderdale and visits a few places in Mexico, and then New Orleans.

Thanks,

Keith

A couple of years ago we met some people who were on The World by Residensea, which was docked here for Mardi Gras, and they loved it.

No traffic problems, no parking problems, and the ship was docked just a few blocks from the parade route. When they got tired they just went back to the ship to chill.

I too would like to know any plus or minus points of visiting New Orleans during Mardi Gras - should we be port or starboard for best position in port? Is it very difficult to see parad?

Ships alternate which side faces the pier.

You would never see any parade from the ship if it is tied up at the normal cruise pier. Too far away. Ship in this case would be a hotel only.

I too would like to know any plus or minus points of visiting New Orleans during Mardi Gras - should we be port or starboard for best position in port? Is it very difficult to see parad?

Ships generally dock with the starboard side facing New Orleans but sometimes they dock with the port side facing the docks instead.

At MardiGrasNewOrleans.com you can find dates, schedules and parade routes depending on when you will be in New Orleans. Many routes are close to main New Orleans hotels and easy to get to. The main parades to see are the Saturday, Sunday and Monday before Mardi Gras and Mardi Gras day.

• 3 weeks later...

When I read this, I had to go look at the itinerary. Now, as best as I can tell, the last day the ship is in NOLA (2/28/17) is the first day of Mardi Gras...not sure how much fun that would be. 'Course, I really do not know much about Mardi Gras or if there is a bunch of stuff going on prior to the 28th but I thought the ship would at least be there in the beginning instead of sailing out at 10pm the first day.

This is a popular cruise. We booked a week ago and got the last Aqua Class cabin available. Would have preferred a Concierge Class, but they were all gone. My guess is that TA's took up blocks of the AQ and CC categories and some will probably be released when the cruise date gets closer.

When I read this, I had to go look at the itinerary. Now, as best as I can tell, the last day the ship is in NOLA (2/28/17) is the first day of Mardi Gras...not sure how much fun that would be. 'Course, I really do not know much about Mardi Gras or if there is a bunch of stuff going on prior to the 28th but I thought the ship would at least be there in the beginning instead of sailing out at 10pm the first day.

I have been corrected, I guess the 28th is the last day of Mardi Gras

I have been corrected, I guess the 28th is the last day of Mardi Gras
I know that misha1 has been corrected but wanted to spell this out for anyone else thinking of coming to NOLA for Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras Day (aka Fat Tuesday) is the last day of Mardi Gras and the partying and parades stop at midnight on Mardi Gras as Wednesday and is Ash Wednesday which is a solemn day as it is the first day of lent.

Mardi Gras day officially ends at midnight, but the party goes on.

The party may go on, but it will be tourists downing hand grenades and other horrible liquor concoctions while flashing breasts on Bourbon. The only exceptions should be granted to those attending either the Rex or Comus balls who will enjoy some midnight revelry at the meeting of the courts. All others should respect the city and the heritage and stop partying at midnight.

Edited by nolatravelgirl