Another Platinum Latitudes Perk Somewhat Reduced

njhorseman

The recent thread about the size of the box of Godiva chocolates being reduced from 8 pieces to 4 reminded me of another slightly reduced perk we encountered on our 12/1 cruise on the Gem .

Moderno is no longer a permitted alternative specialty restaurant for the complimentary dinner for two with a bottle of wine.

Until recently, the comp dinner could be used in Le Bistro or any specialty restaurant with an equal or smaller upcharge. Since the Le Bistro upcharge is $20, this meant the comp dinner could also be taken in Moderno ($20 upcharge), the Italian venue ($15), or the Asian restaurant ($15).

On our 12/1 cruise we noticed that the comp coupon specified La Cucina and Orchid Garden as the only permissible alternatives to Le Bistro. Further, the Latitudes benefits description on NCL's website now also says: " Le Bistro benefit can be used at our Italian or Asian specialty restaurants. "

We used ours on the Epic in Nov. just fine. Did you ask anyone about it?

Yes, we asked the Concierge, who seemed surprised and asked the Latitudes rep about it. He said he could try to get an exception, but for reasons I won't bother going in to other issues intervened and we just ate one of our free dinners in La Cucina.

When you were on the Epic, did your coupon/voucher have the old wording that would allow Moderno or the new wording that doesn't?

Edited by njhorseman

The recent thread about the size of the box of Godiva chocolates being reduced from 8 pieces to 4 reminded me of another slightly reduced perk we encountered on our 12/1 cruise on the Gem .

Moderno is no longer a permitted alternative specialty restaurant for the complimentary dinner for two with a bottle of wine.

Until recently, the comp dinner could be used in Le Bistro or any specialty restaurant with an equal or smaller upcharge. Since the Le Bistro upcharge is $20, this meant the comp dinner could also be taken in Moderno ($20 upcharge), the Italian venue ($15), or the Asian restaurant ($15).

On our 12/1 cruise we noticed that the comp coupon specified La Cucina and Orchid Garden as the only permissible alternatives to Le Bistro. Further, the Latitudes benefits description on NCL's website now also says: " Le Bistro benefit can be used at our Italian or Asian specialty restaurants. "

Now that you mention it, I did notice that on the Dawn in October. :rolleyes:

Wow, we are the Gem the cruise before you (11/22-12/1) and we used our Platinum coupon in Moderno with a free bottle of wine. I do recall reading somewhere in the literature that Moderno, La Cucina, Asian Garden would accept these coupons.

We were on this cruise, Gem 12/01/14 and did use one of our vouchers at Moderno without issue. We also noticed Moderno not listed on front of Platinum voucher but the back said good at any restaurant $20 or less.

We were on this cruise, Gem 12/01/14 and did use one of our vouchers at Moderno without issue. We also noticed Moderno not listed on front of Platinum voucher but the back said good at any restaurant $20 or less.

My recollection of the voucher wording differs from yours, and the wording on NCL's website conforms to my recollection (as does my conversation with the concierge).

Edited by njhorseman

Welcome home. Makes me wonder if the new policy is a way to minimize its value ? Thus hoping Platinum passangers will upgrade to the UDP.

There are getting to be so many platinum members that it would not surprise me to see the entire program restructured.

I agree, but it would not be fair to those of us have already reached platinum. If they create a new level, Platinum +, are they going to our benefits and only given them to those who reach the Platinum + level.

A better approach would be to streamline the platinum benefits and give more benefits to the Platinum +. For example, I would not oppose to NCL only giving us 1 dinner for two to Le Bistro per room as supposed to per latitude member. Then they can increase the number of dinners based on latitude level.

Until recently, the comp dinner could be used in Le Bistro or any specialty restaurant with an equal or smaller upcharge.

I've been Platinum since the beginning of 2013 and I've found that this has always been ship/rep dependant. Sometimes all max $20 restaurants have been allowed, sometimes not. So not a recent change in my experience.

I've been Platinum since the beginning of 2013 and I've found that this has always been ship/rep dependant. Sometimes all max $20 restaurants have been allowed, sometimes not. So not a recent change in my experience.

We've been Platinum for several years and our experience is different. The voucher's wording had clearly allowed its use in Moderno on our prior cruises, and no intervention from the rep was ever required. Our last cruise prior to the Dec. 1 Gem was in March on the Gem and the voucher wording was clear. Our experience extends to other ships too, including the Breakaway.

The voucher's wording had clearly allowed its use in Moderno on our prior cruises

In our experience the wording has been different on every ship we've been on (Pearl, Jade, Getaway and Dawn) - one said approx "all $20 or less", one listed allowed restaurants by name and one said nothing about other restaurants than Le Bistro but it was accepted no questions asked in Moderno when we went there as walk-ins.

Edited by Demonyte

In our experience the wording has been different on every ship we've been on (Pearl, Jade, Getaway and Dawn) - one said approx "all $20 or less", one listed allowed restaurants by name and one said nothing about other restaurants than Le Bistro but it was accepted no questions asked in Moderno when we went there as walk-ins.

Our two most recent cruises were both on the Gem, in March 2014 and December 2014. On both cruises the same HD, Jenny Lim, was in charge. But the voucher wording was different in December than it was in March. Further, the wording on the Latitudes benefits page of NCL's website has changed and it conforms to the wording on the December voucher, so I think it's likely there was an actual policy change imposed at the corporate level, presumably to make the policy consistent across the fleet.

Frankly, I'm very happy that Norwegian offers me a free dinner and bottle of wine. I'm especially happy that I get to enjoy that meal at Le Bistro. Further, I appreciate that Norwegian lowers the cost of the UDP for me so that the value of the gift is still realized.

When folks start throwing "yeah, buts" into the mix, things start getting complicated. "I don't want your gift, I want another gift." Who likes to hear that? These are gifts. I suppose we earned them with our loyalty, but accept them or don't. If three restaurant choices aren't sufficient for your free meal, maybe it's time to evaluate your priorities.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

Frankly, I'm very happy that Norwegian offers me a free dinner and bottle of wine. I'm especially happy that I get to enjoy that meal at Le Bistro. Further, I appreciate that Norwegian lowers the cost of the UDP for me so that the value of the gift is still realized.

When folks start throwing "yeah, buts" into the mix, things start getting complicated. "I don't want your gift, I want another gift." Who likes to hear that? These are gifts. I suppose we earned them with our loyalty, but accept them or don't. If three restaurant choices aren't sufficient for your free meal, maybe it's time to evaluate your priorities.

Sent from my HTC One using Forums mobile app

Sure, I'm still happy to get a free meal with wine, but when you've been enjoying certain perks for years, you notice when they've been diminished.

Did you notice that a "half gallon" of ice cream in the supermarket is now only 48 ounces for most brands...a 25% reduction in size? They haven't lowered the price 25%, have they? Now NCL wants me to take 25% less value for my second dining voucher (2 meals worth $30 at retail versus $40 previously) with no reduction in the price of the cruise either.

By the way, the $20 credit toward the purchase price of the UDP does not allow you to realize the value of the free meal. The cost of a dinner for two in Le Bistro is $40, but you're only getting a single $20 UDP credit.

Please don't tell me what my priorities should be. I don't care for the Italian or Asian restaurants and would never even consider paying to eat there.

Now NCL wants me to take 25% less value for my second dining voucher (2 meals worth $30 at retail versus $40 previously) with no reduction in the price of the cruise either.

I don't care for the Italian or Asian restaurants and would never even consider paying to eat there.

Those are still your personal choices to lessen the value of the second voucher and not to eat in the restaurants they allow the voucher to be used in. NCL doesn't force you to do those choices and hasn't actually reduced anything that they have promised. The perk has been a dinner for two in Le Bistro and still is, it's value hasn't changed a bit either.

I for one am grateful that they even allow using the voucher in another restaurant but that is or has not been granted - originally the substituting wasn't even a part of the benefits list like it is now (in the footnotes).

Edited by Demonyte

Le Bistro is the published benefit.

Any other choice is a bonus.

The alternatives were also published, in a footnote, and they've been changed, just as the explanation of which benefits are per cabin rather than per person are published in a footnote. Using your logic I should be able to insist that I get two of certain benefits because the one-per-cabin exception is only in a footnote.