Another Platinum Latitudes Perk Somewhat Reduced

njhorseman

Once upon a time the Latitudes perq was dinner and Bottle of wine in Le Bistro. No "or."

And once upon a time it took 14 cruises regardless length to reach the platinum level. Now you can do it in a single 19 day cruise if you qualify for all the bonus points...Once upon a time they served lobster in the dining rooms....Once upon a time NCL dining was traditional fixed seating...we could go on forever with the "once upon a time".

And once upon a time it took 14 cruises regardless length to reach the platinum level. Now you can do it in a single 19 day cruise if you qualify for all the bonus points...Once upon a time they served lobster in the dining rooms....Once upon a time NCL dining was traditional fixed seating...we could go on forever with the "once upon a time".

You can't make Platinum, in the manner you describe on your first NCL cruise. For the first cruise, the maximum points per day is three, not four. Then again, if you buy the whole Haven thing, what's the big deal with a minor change to the Platinum dining perq?

IIRC, the Le Bistro only perq was in effect after the changeover from number of cruises to points. I just made Platinum in that change. I don't recall how many cruises it took to become platinum when they went from cruises to points. 14 seems high, but it may have been that many . . . :confused:

You can't make Platinum, in the manner you describe on your first NCL cruise. For the first cruise, the maximum points per day is three, not four. Then again, if you buy the whole Haven thing, what's the big deal with a minor change to the Platinum dining perq?

IIRC, the Le Bistro only perq was in effect after the changeover from number of cruises to points. I just made Platinum in that change. I don't recall how many cruises it took to become platinum when they went from cruises to points. 14 seems high, but it may have been that many . . . :confused:

OK, so you can take a one night CTN to become a Latitudes member followed by one long cruise to make Platinum.

It did take 14 cruises to make Platinum. Believe me...it took us about 15 years because we were still working and usually took one per year on NCL and some years none on NCL ...and I didn't have any 1,2,3 or 4 day cruises to pad the total. They were all in the 1 to 2 week range.

That change, without adding a higher status level, really got under the skin of a lot of Platinum cruisers who had earned the status the old fashioned way.

Edited by njhorseman

One of the reasons why we cruised with Royal so often was because of the strength of their loyalty program. As we chalked up points to get to Diamond, we never even looked at other cruise lines.

It was only this Dec that we tried NCL on the Jade because we got a good price on the suite and we liked the itinerary. Turned out that we liked the cruise very much. Thinking of booking another cruise on NCL now.

Since NCL competes directly with Royal, they could learn a thing or two from Royal's loyalty perks and improve their program. Incidentally, NCL is owned by Genting, a Malaysian conglomerate, our good neighbours up north of Singapore.

OK, so you can take a one night CTN to become a Latitudes member followed by one long cruise to make Platinum.

It did take 14 cruises to make Platinum. Believe me...it took us about 15 years because we were still working and usually took one per year on NCL and some years none on NCL ...and I didn't have any 1,2,3 or 4 day cruises to pad the total. They were all in the 1 to 2 week range.

That change, without adding a higher status level, really got under the skin of a lot of Platinum cruisers who had earned the status the old fashioned way.

Yes, the old fashioned way certainly took a long time.

I was told that I have 30 points after my first 10N cruise. That puts me at Silver? Platinum is 76 and up?

I was told that I have 30 points after my first 10N cruise. That puts me at Silver? Platinum is 76 and up?

Yes, you'll be silver after the first one when you have booked more than 9 months in advance and have a suite for 10 nights.