Porthole room recommendations on Sensation?

JohnMI

Anyone have any advice on selecting a porthole room on the Sensation? My options would be Forward only on the following decks:

Upper:

Rooms U1-U16 available.

Empress:

Rooms E2-E4 available.

There are also rooms on Riviera and Main decks, but I thought it would be better to be up higher unless someone suggests otherwise.

Suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

- John...

We were in U16 on Fascination (another ship in the same class) and really liked it. That was our first time in a porthole cabin and we liked it so much that the other three times we sailed on Fascination, we also booked porthole cabins. Those were on the Main Deck and were fine, but I prefer Upper Deck.

The Empress rooms are below the backstage area of the theater. I have never had a problem being below backstage; have done it many times. But some people who turn in early may not like it. For me, when shows are going on, I'm in the theater watching them, unless it's the Playlist Production shows.

Upper deck rooms will have staterooms both above & below it, which is usually good. That's what I would go with, and I would pick whatever is furthest from the front.

I've done R2 and E10. R2 was much bigger and quieter, but the portholes had more of a "tunnel view". E10 was a bit smaller with less of a tunnel view, but being on the Empress deck was more convenient. Get ready for the early morning rumble and shaking for a few minutes no matter which porthole cabin you pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We always cruise on the Riviera deck, R11 OR R7 have been our cabin of choise for the last three or four years. However if you don't want a wake up call in the mornin' of port day's this is not the spot for you. SHAKE RATTLE & ROLL.

The elevators are almost empty by the time they get to you also. But on the Empress deck you also have the glass elevator.

We stay down there because they have a perfect parking spot for the scooters.

Char

If you look at the deck plan you can see which porthole rooms have more room than others, because the hall jags inward. I try to pick a porthole room right on the step where the rooms get longer, so I get a bigger room!

Also, I prefer the lower decks for portholes, because you can get portholes that are very close to midship. If you look at a Fantasy class ship from the side (use google images), you can see that the portholes on the lower decks go way further back than they do on uppers. I try to get one of the first portholes toward midship on Riviera or Main, they are far enough aft that you don't hear the anchor or the waves splashing against the hull. And lower decks have less rocking. I don't mind being low down - I never use the elevators and consider all the stair-walking my exercise for the cruise!

We like the Empress deck portholes, only rooms we stay in on Fantasy class ships. They are a great location being the lowest floor of the atrium and 1,2 and 3 flights up to dining, promenade and lido. We never use the elevators on these ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have never stayed in a porthole room, but I find it convenient to be closer o the laundry (ironing board). The laundry on Empress deck is close to a lot of the porthole cabins.

Edited by mawvkysc
Typo

I am not at home to find out what our room number was, but I believe it was something like M16. We were to have an inside room, but wound up with "two" port holes. We were on the Sensation, and I believe it was deck 9. Our room was almost at the end of the ship, so we definately got our exercise.:)

My friend had never cruised before, and on the last day as she could see them cleaning up the rooms for the next group of people to come on, and seen a "window" room, she told me she would have rather had our "two port holes." :)

If anyone has questions about the Sensation, please feel free to ask. Yes it is an older ship, and had a lot of purple, but I would highly recommend this ship for a short cruise.

If you look at the deck plan you can see which porthole rooms have more room than others, because the hall jags inward. I try to pick a porthole room right on the step where the rooms get longer, so I get a bigger room!

DW and I have been on Elation in U7 and our DS and DD were next door in U9. Our room (U7) was larger, due to the curve. Since PH rooms lack a couch, the cabin seemed quite large. I also agree with the other posters that you will get early morning shaking and noise as the ship pulls in to port. The price is right, though, and I would have no problem booking a PH cabin again.

Just to follow up on this, we ended up booking the U16 porthole room! Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

(On a side note, I think it fairly likely that there will be a price drop -- so we'll see if I end up in that room or get upgraded to an OV.)

- John...